Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/4/2023 10:42:58 AM EDT
50rd boxes, Bricks or 100rd plastic boxes.

Right now I am using ammo cans, metal and plastic. The only problem with those, is all the wasted space.

Are there any airtight containers that just happen, out of pure luck, to be a better size for one, or all 3 of the above ammo boxes?
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 11:28:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Ammo can and stack  boxes in tight
If you think a few cubic inches is wasting space
Open boxes and sprinkle in loose rounds
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 11:45:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

I was hoping to keep the rds in the original box. If I was willing to store them lose, I would use the plastic containers that the Members Mark peanuts come in from Sam's Club.
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 12:54:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Pill bottles hold a lot.
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 1:20:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Pill bottles hold a lot.
View Quote

I want to keep them in their original boxes
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 2:54:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Try a 40mm ammo can. I like them better than the 50 and 30 cal cans.
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 4:03:19 PM EDT
[#6]
A 50 cal ammo can will hold about 6000 rounds if they are in the little 50 round boxes very tightly. The problem these days is a lot of the boxes have gotten larger (plastic inserts, plastic slides) which decreases the can capacity. Still I use 50 cal cans and they work for me. Also many vendors ( cabelas, harbor freight) sell larger plastic ammo cans which may work for you
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 5:18:59 PM EDT
[#7]
I use Fat 50s and just keep them in OEM boxes
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 9:11:41 PM EDT
[#8]
I can get 1,600 Federal Black Box rounds, in original boxes, in one M2A1 can.

I can also get 2,400 of CCI MiniMags in one. (in Original plastic shell holder). (They weigh 24.4 lbs each)

Those plastic ammo cans suck for, well ... ammo. If you fill up the can, I guarantee when you go to pick it up, the top will seperate from the can body. So much for airtight.

Even the Harbour Freight M2A1 cans look pretty good, under $20 if you pick them up at a store. Not bad. Shipping is where you get hosed buying online. They are heavy. If you buy them at a local HF, there is no shipping.
HF $17.99
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 9:14:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Do NOT use the 120mm ammo cans. I have one full of 22, and it is stupid heavy.
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 9:15:57 PM EDT
[#10]
LOL.
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 6:23:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Do NOT use the 120mm ammo cans. I have one full of 22, and it is stupid heavy.
View Quote

Same for the 40MM cans.

The Fat 50's are about the largest you want to get. LOL.

After that you are just looking at what shape of boat anchor are you wanting. It is amazing how heavy those little .22 can be when you get a few of them together.

Link Posted: 2/5/2023 10:42:36 AM EDT
[#12]
I truly HATE the way .22 RF ammo is packaged now a days. The older 50 round boxes where 1/2 are bullet up and 1/2 are bullet down are the most compact way of storage, but that ship has sailed. I use the SAW (aka Fat 50s) ammo cans to store 22 ammo in 50 round boxes. I think a case will fit in the GI SAW can. The CCI or equivalent, 100 round plastic boxes, I empty into 30 cal cans to save room. The unopened cases I just store them unopened. That is probably not what you wanted to hear. If you absolutely have to keep them in the 100 round boxes, use the SAW cans to store as many as possible and it will take a couple of cans to hold a whole case of 22. The positive to this is, it isn't too heavy. I only use the metal ammo cans. The plastic ammo cans are too weak for my taste when they are packed full of ammo, plus the steel cans are more compact.

Whatever container you use, mark it legibly on the outside as to contents. There are nice magnetic or stick-on labels available, if you want to get fancy. I'm a cheap bastard I use the labels that have the string, and I tie those to the handle.
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 11:03:26 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
A 50 cal ammo can will hold about 6000 rounds if they are in the little 50 round boxes very tightly.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
A 50 cal ammo can will hold about 6000 rounds if they are in the little 50 round boxes very tightly.
I'd like to see a pic of that? I bought a case of CCI SV (50rd paper boxes in 500rd brick/sleeves) and I couldn't get close to getting them all in a 50cal can but in fairness, I was trying to keep them in their 500rd bricks.

Quoted:
The problem these days is a lot of the boxes have gotten larger (plastic inserts, plastic slides) which decreases the can capacity.
Yup, as an example, I can get a full case (1k rds) of Remington UMC 9mm into a 50cal can in their factory boxes but I can't get more then 800rds of CCI 9mm ammo (Speer, Blaser) into the same can. Take them out of their factory boxes, I can get 1k rds in a 30cal can.

Quoted:
Still I use 50 cal cans and they work for me. Also many vendors ( cabelas, harbor freight) sell larger plastic ammo cans which may work for you
I do the same. I use 50cal cans when I can. When I can't, I use MTM ammo crates.

I used an MTM ACR7 (IIRC?) for some of my 22 stash

Here is 6000rds of CCI with enough room left over for 1400rds of CCI 100rd plastic sleeves...

Actually because the lid is raised, I could possibly double up the sleeves and get another 10 or so above the 14 that I know will fit?

yeah, 7000 + rds of 22 does get heavy, no way around that but this isn't a case I take to the range. It's just for storage. For range use, I prefer the 30cal ammo cans

ETA and BTW... Fuck HF and all their chinese crap. MTM is better quality, isn't much more expensive and is made right here in Dayton Ohio. 'Merica!
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 11:24:41 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I'd like to see a pic of that? I bought a case of CCI SV (50rd paper boxes in 500rd brick/sleeves) and I couldn't get close to getting them all in a 50cal can but in fairness, I was trying to keep them in their 500rd bricks.

Yup, as an example, I can get a full case (1k rds) of Remington UMC 9mm into a 50cal can in their factory boxes but I can't get more then 800rds of CCI 9mm ammo (Speer, Blaser) into the same can. Take them out of their factory boxes, I can get 1k rds in a 30cal can.

I do the same. I use 50cal cans when I can. When I can't, I use MTM ammo crates.

I used an MTM ACR7 (IIRC?) for some of my 22 stash

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0633/4175/6642/products/acr7-ammo-crate-4_350x.jpg?v=1650384017

Here is 6000rds of CCI with enough room left over for 1400rds of CCI 100rd plastic sleeves...
https://i.imgur.com/tkGhoR6.jpg
Actually because the lid is raised, I could possibly double up the sleeves and get another 10 or so above the 14 that I know will fit?

Thank You!!!!

yeah, 7000 + rds of 22 does get heavy, no way around that but this isn't a case I take to the range. It's just for storage. For range use, I prefer the 30cal ammo cans

ETA and BTW... Fuck HF and all their chinese crap. MTM is better quality, isn't much more expensive and is made right here in Dayton Ohio. 'Merica!
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/8/2023 2:48:08 PM EDT
[#15]
The CCI 100rd and 50rd plastic sleeves fit nicely in a 30 can for me.

I just stuff some trash cardboard as fill in the cans with paper boxes. I don’t do the loose ammo thing.

A 40mm can fits 6k CCI SV if I remember correctly. It’s a heavy bitch.

Armscor is still packed tight, half up, half down. I think the boxes still have a little bullseye target printed on the inside too! Their stuff usually shoot well above it’s price for me, but I still haven’t found a better performer than CCI SV, without going up to high dollar Euro target ammo.
Link Posted: 2/8/2023 3:33:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Check out MTM - MADE IN THE USA!!!

They have tons of great options and a regularly on sale through Amazon.

This is the one I like the most:  https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MU6ZAPG?tag=arfcom00-20
Link Posted: 2/8/2023 3:58:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Weight was always my issue. I did a 50 cal can with loose 22lr and won’t do that again. It sucks that it’s not as efficient but I just do factory boxes and 30 cal cans now.
Link Posted: 2/8/2023 4:46:49 PM EDT
[#18]
I take my ammo and shoot it , don't count on bugging out with it.

Ammo is left in original packing in cases , bricks and individual boxes .

In my fort I must have 50+ different types of 22 ammo.

Depending on what type of shooting I intend to do on any particular day I grab loose boxes or bricks off the shelf , dump them in the shooting bag or homer bucket and head out . when returning home I stack any unused boxes on top of the shelf by brand and type .

Friend of mine grabbed me once and said "look at this "  he had a 50 cal ammo can filled to the top with about 15 different types and brands of 22 ammo all mixed together loose !

I questioned him about it and explained how all ammo shoots somewhat different and is best used by type and brand for specific uses .  Can't really bitch because he was about 10 years old at the time .
Link Posted: 2/12/2023 12:40:27 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote
I can pack 4000 rounds into a 50 cal can with no room to spare.
That's (I think) 6 500 boxes and the rest in 50s to fill the gaps.

ETA: That's CCI and Blazer size boxes. Makes for a heavy can.
Link Posted: 2/12/2023 12:50:20 AM EDT
[#20]
20mm ammo cans work great. I think I have 25k rnds in one.
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 6:48:46 AM EDT
[#21]
50 cal cans hold 12 fed 325 boxes perfectly

The 100rd plastic boxes go 14 to a plastic 30 cal can, 2x2x7, may need some cardboard to keep them from rattling around.

That's all I got for you unless you start making boxes out of cardstock and exacto knives...
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 6:50:28 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
20mm ammo cans work great. I think I have 25k rnds in one.
View Quote

What brand forklift do you use?
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 7:05:38 AM EDT
[#23]
I packed my bricks in cat litter pails. Unless someone tries to pick them up they hide in plain sight.
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 7:13:50 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

What brand forklift do you use?
View Quote

There’s no real need to move it around much. When I do I have a dolly…although I can still pick it up. Work smarter, not harder…and all that.
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 7:14:59 AM EDT
[#25]
My .22 stash is a back injury waiting to happen.
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 10:15:41 PM EDT
[#26]
I buy by the case and store as received in the cardboard box.
Link Posted: 4/9/2023 2:37:03 PM EDT
[#27]
I remember making the mistake of filling a fat 50 ammo can with loose 230 gr. 45acp, almost dislocated my shoulder.

For the CCI 100 round boxes 30 cal cans work fine but for 325 pack bulk ammo a std. 50 cal can fits nice.
But all my cans have some unused space, I get those packs of disposable dessicant and toss one or two in each can.
I also have a mix of 30, 50 and fat 50 ammo cans that I keep in locked job site tool chests.
I've also got a few MTM cases, mostly the ones for AR mags. They're fine and seal well but if there's ever a fire I'd rather have my ammo in mil spec cases.
You can stack fat 50s full of loose .45 to the rafters and they'll hold up to the weight. And they're not much more than plastic cases.

But any sealed case with a good dessicant or even a bag of rice is better than loose ammo in a cardboard box. Cardboard absorbs moisture. If it's in your closet you should be fine but attics, basements and detached garages/shops can get humid.
Link Posted: 4/9/2023 5:42:54 PM EDT
[#28]
Holds 10 50rd boxes and protects them well.
500rd 22lr ammo box.

They also make them for 200rds/4 50rd boxes.
200rd 22lr ammo box.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top