Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Archery » Bows
Posted: 6/15/2021 9:28:18 PM EDT
Bow #3  It's been over 40 years since I made one.
62 inch Osage Orange  33#@27" draw.
6 cedar arrows.
So windy today that I didn't shoot it.  Hope to do that tomorrow.
Made this one to use at our reenactment traditional bow shoot.
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/16/2021 4:44:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Oil has dried and I got to shoot it for the first time today. 12 shots so far.  First 6 were used to find the sight picture. This is the second 6 from 10 yards.  Shoots pretty nice.  With a little more practice I should have nice groups.  It has been several years since I shot instinctive using no sights.  I only shot instinctive until about 1972 but very little since then.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/16/2021 7:48:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Very nice.  Cedar arrows?  Did you make them & fletch them?
Link Posted: 6/16/2021 7:55:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Already had the arrows.  didn't make them.  
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 9:49:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/1/2021 10:59:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By IIRC:
Making a bow is on my bucket list.

Looks great!
View Quote
thanks. Osage Orange is one of the harder woods to make a bow but if you can find a nice piece and do it right it makes some of the best bows.  A nice straight piece of hickory is easier to work with for beginners.  Since it was only my third bow and first with osage orange I am pretty happy with it. Turned out better than expected. We have lots of mulberry in the fence rows. I heard that makes good bows so planning to try some of it.
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 10:54:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Very, very nice!
Link Posted: 10/22/2022 1:11:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 74HC] [#7]
One few bows that I would call "Made in USA".

Most USA major brand bows have components sourced outside of USA. The big one being the aluminum which they usually buy into one or two forms.  These are extruded and forged.  Only the low-volume high-end bows are CNC'd from bar stock as the volume would not justify developing dies.

The top three primary aluminum producers/exporters are China, Russia, and India.  Notice all three are not on the greenhouse gas or carbon footprint reduction bandwagon. If one combines the annual exports of primary aluminum for Russia and India, it's still less than half of China which is #1.

If you buy a USA bow from the major brands, the aluminum likely comes from one of those three, even if the extrusion or forging comes from elsewhere like Canada.

VOC emission laws are making it difficult for glass companies to manufacture the stock used for limbs. I think there are only two left which the big one being Gordon Glass. I forgot who the other one is.  There are more than two limb manufacturers but the others buy raw stock from GG for instance. More and more raw stock for limbs are coming from overseas without VOC emission laws.  Particularly in the lower priced bows you'll find at BSP.

But then there is Sanlida's Dragon X8 bow.  Limbs are imported into China from Gordon Glass.  The string is made by DCY in the USA, and the cammo film is also imported from the USA as well.  One actually gets more USA components on the Dragon than the $400 or $500 bows at BPS. That's surprising.

Thanks Algore and Gretta vanshithead for this. Our industries are slowly being put out of business by the greed of politicians.

Page Archery » Bows
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top