Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Archery » Bows
Posted: 3/18/2021 4:57:51 PM EDT
Shot a bow a little as a kid (under 16) but not since.  Got the itch for a recurve now.
I want a take down so I can start light, work on technique, then change to higher weight(s) if desired.
I want a wood / laminate riser, not metal.
I'm 44, average physical condition, measured my draw at 28.5".

I'm thinking I should start with 25 or 30lb limbs?
I like the look of the non-pocketed risers so I am strongly considering the Galaxy Sage Elite (or one of the other many house brands that are basically that same model).

I'm certainly open to others up to around $300 - thanks for any input!
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 5:14:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Not an expert but when I started archery around 04 I had a pse takedown.  Liked it but went more traditional with Longview and horse bow.

Then I got divorced and bailed on archery to avoid ex wife drama and went back to guns
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 8:54:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Samick Sage is probably the best wood riser takedown bow for beginners out there.  

As long as you don't have any physical issues I'd recommend a 35 to 40 pound bow.  Anything lighter is kind of a toy or kids bow.  A 40# is usually at the low end of legal for hunting in most states if that's something you may be interested in down the road.  

Also keep in mind that while takedowns allow you to swap different weight limbs, the limbs can be pricey so buy smart the first time.  I recently got back into archery and bought a 45# bow when I should have gotten a 40#.  Finding 40# limbs has been a pain.
Link Posted: 3/21/2021 9:24:51 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a sage for some years now and would not recommend one.  The reason is the dimensions are not that great, and you'll be limited on options.

I'd recommend getting a low-cost ILF riser around $200, and a pair of ILF limbs like this one:

https://www.lancasterarchery.com/tradtech-black-max-2-0-glass-wood-recurve-limbs.html

Also, recurves are not going to shoot like compound bows.  If you think you desire flatter trajectories, more zip in velocity, plus all the do-dads like arrow rests, sights, etc., compound is the better alternative.  Plus, you can tinker with compound bows like ARs until your heart is content (which it will never be like ARs).

A really good starter compound bow is the Sanlida Dragon X8 for $200 on Amazon and slightly cheaper on eBay. My son has one and likes it.  Beginners should have an easier time with a compound bow over a recurve.

The Dragon is chinese made, but the low cost American bows outsource their components overseas.  That's how they get the price down compared to their $1000+ 100% American bare bones bows.

The Sage is made in china too.

Another thing you should know is Pro Shops.  They are not all equal, and some do better fitting to certain types of shooters than others.  Consequently, your buddy make get a better fit at a different Pro Shop than you.  Also, American compound bow manufacturers only allow in-person sales (ie. Pro Shop brick and morter stores).  That's why Lancaster can only sell you the compound bows listed in-person and there is not "add to cart" button.

Pro Shops in my area are high priced.  All the components on the shelves are market up from MSRP, but their bows are sold at MSRP (again due to the manufacturer).  If you buy a bow, they will charge you a small fee for fitting.  They will waive the fitting fee if you buy a package, but that will take a $1099 Matthews to $2k and beyond depending on your choices.

If I was you, I would get the Sanlida for now.  If you like the sport, then get an American bow like a Matthews, Bowtech, etc. and reserve the Sanlida for buddies you take to the range that don't have a bow.  Also, check used on CL in your area.  In CA, it seems like bows are just as evil as assault weapons and I rarely see a decent bow on CL in my area.  If I do see one, it's usually at least 3 to 4 hours away.

Another option for a low-cost compound bow you'll run into is the Genesis bow.  The original ones were made by Matthews. I have no idea who makes the current ones.  The Dragon X8 is a better option, imo.  The Genesis is a single cam while the Dragon is a dual-cam bow.  Plus the Dragon can be adjusted to 70lbs while the Genesis is limited to, maybe 30lbs or so, iirc.  It's designed for children and earlier teenagers as a entry into the sport.  Also, you'll likely find cheap Genesis bows on CL.  Many of those are likely worn-out bows from camps like the Boy Scouts.  You'll want to stay away from those.

If you really want to learn 20-yard crawl, or string walking, you'll need a recurve.  Check the video called "The Push" on YT.  One of the best recurve shooting videos there are.
Link Posted: 3/24/2021 12:42:46 AM EDT
[#4]
I had no idea the Samick Sage was made in China.  Don't buy anything made China, period.  Every time you do you help America's greatest enemy.

I'd recommend one of the takedown recurve from PSE.  I've owned a couple and was very happy with both.  Also check out used bows in the EE here.  ArcheryTalk is a fantastic all archery forum with great information and a section full of used bows for sale.
Link Posted: 3/26/2021 4:39:35 PM EDT
[#5]
I've been doing most of my recurve practice at 25#. And I have a Bear that is 45#.  I can shoot it all day, but I can only shoot it well for about 10 shots before my form starts to suffer.
Link Posted: 3/26/2021 11:04:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've been doing most of my recurve practice at 25#. And I have a Bear that is 45#.  I can shoot it all day, but I can only shoot it well for about 10 shots before my form starts to suffer.
View Quote

Thanks, I pretty much decided to start out at 25lb limbs.
Page Archery » Bows
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top