Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/11/2012 5:44:40 PM EDT
Why not draw to your eye so that the arrow is inline with your eye when you shoot?

Link Posted: 11/11/2012 6:24:35 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't shoot with a release so I draw and put my index finger on my incisor tooth. That way my draw is consistent and in puts the string in the middle of my eye. They do make peep sights to put on the string also but I've never used them.
Link Posted: 1/7/2013 10:19:37 PM EDT
[#2]
There are many folks who do draw to the eye in something called "stringwalking."  I haven't studied up on the technique, but I believe they use the tip of the arrow as an aiming point and move the nock up and down based on range, with drawing to the eye their zero.
Link Posted: 1/9/2013 4:39:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LuckyDucky] [#3]
Originally Posted By Durka-Durka:
There are many folks who do draw to the eye in something called "stringwalking."  I haven't studied up on the technique, but I believe they use the tip of the arrow as an aiming point and move the nock up and down based on range, with drawing to the eye their zero.

That makes more sense to me.  You could even draw bright neon marks on your string to indicate distances.

Link Posted: 3/1/2013 9:34:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By LuckyDucky:

That makes more sense to me.  You could even draw bright neon marks on your string to indicate distances.

The only drawback that I see is that constantly moving the anchor can work against you.  I prefer a solid anchor point, and I recently had to change mine from my mouth down to my chin, to get extra distance out of my arrows.  That took me about 2-3 weeks of constant shooting to get used to, but now I have a much more solid anchor point and I can adjust aim as needed easier.  Of course, everybody's different and what doesn't work for me might work well for others.
Link Posted: 3/10/2013 8:39:04 AM EDT
[#5]
I  have trained myself to only focus on my target and have never been able to use a consistent anchor point.Not bragging but I can shoot chipmunks at 40 yards this way.Shooting my compound bows if I don't anchor I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn.Shooting instinctively to me is the same way you shoot a handgun using you're natural point of aim.Practice until you know where the arrow is going to impact without thinking about it.
Link Posted: 5/7/2014 4:11:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PresTex] [#6]
Not to be a dick, but chipmunks at 40 yards with traditional equipment sounds like a bit of an exaggeration. The problem with switching your anchor point is consistency. An experienced shooter can get away with anchoring in an inconsistent place if they are very familiar with their equipment and how it shoots. However, with good form and a specific anchor point you will be able to hit the target much more consistently.

To answer the original question my guess would be that drawing to your mouth allows you to look down the arrow and have the arrow in the center of your vision. I imagine anchoring by your eye could create some issues with looking alongside the arrow rather than down it which would mess up your left and right. Not sure if that makes any sense but  again, I'm just guessing. I know a lot of guys prefer to shoot 3 under rather than split finger in order to achieve a "sight picture" thats more in line with the arrow so theres probably some merit to your question.
Link Posted: 5/13/2014 8:29:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Many people think anything other than shooting with wheels on their limbs is impossible.  It's all in that shooter's ability.  I've seen some pretty amazing instinctive shooting, so it wouldn't surprise me.
Link Posted: 5/13/2014 8:50:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: dbd870] [#8]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

Many people think anything other than shooting with wheels on their limbs is impossible.  It's all in that shooter's ability.  I've seen some pretty amazing instinctive shooting, so it wouldn't surprise me.
View Quote
It really is true - when you do everything right they are very accurate; when you don't it's not so good! It's all about consistent form and mental concentration. I don't use any kind of (conscious) aiming method - gap, etc but when I do it right I can get 11's on my 3D deer target at 20yds., with my KMag. Not saying every time now but for example my last volley the last time I was out was 1 - 11 and 4-10's. at 20yds. As a former compound shooter if you would have told me in the past I could do that with a recurve I would have accused you of smoking something.

Link Posted: 6/18/2014 3:39:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote

Not sure if your comment was referring to my post but ill agree there are some pretty amazing instinctive shooters out there. I have been shooting traditional since I was 13 and gone to many tournaments so I've seen my fair share of people who really know how to shoot. But they all had good form and a consistent shooting process. Just wanted to point out that the guy who said he didn't use an anchor point and just used his "instincts" probably isn't doing anyone any favors.
Link Posted: 7/12/2016 10:46:22 AM EDT
[#10]
You can anchor wherever you want.....just do it the same way every-time.

Link Posted: 9/13/2016 9:39:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: OKnativeson] [#11]
I can only shoot instinctively by my middle finger fingertip top to the corner of my mouth. I've tried the others, but this is the only consistent way I can shoot. I also focus on the target and pay no attention to the arrow.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top