Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/30/2018 3:39:55 PM EDT
So I am new to bow hunting and have a new piece of property to hunt this year. Did some preliminary scouting over the weekend and was looking for some advice as to where to put a ground blind. There aren't really any good options for a tree stand as the trees are all crooked or over the property line.

The property boundary is marked in yellow. THis is the corner that I saw the most trails and prints. The red lines mark where I saw crossings over fences into adjacent properties.

Spot 1 has a lot of tall grass/brush that I could set up in. Closest to beds (near the crossing to the south) and had the most visible tracks in the field.

Spot 2 has a lot of trail through the grass near it.

Spot 3 would give an overview of the crossing from the northern property. The grassy area in the photo is kind of a small valley with high sides on the north property and the edge of the field.

There are two stands to the north that I've circled.

Where would you set up if this was your field to hunt?

Thanks
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 4:52:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Without actually seeing the land and watching early and late for deer movement, its just a Scientific Wild Ass Guess, but here goes:
Between the red lines, favoring one or the other if required by cover or lack of cover to cover the trails. If cover favors putting the blind at the corner to the west of the western red line, I could live with that, but you have to watch the wind. N through WNW wind would be huntable.

Below #2 near where the hedgerow comes, from the west, into the point below #2, to cover deer using the hedgerow as cover during legal hours and to catch deer working around what appears to be a swale and thicker cover in the center of the point. ESE through S would be good wind, N would be ok.

At the western end of the hedgerow heading to the point below #2, to cover deer using the hedgerow during legal hours and to cover deer using the north-south hedgerow/tree line during legal hours. The blind would be in cover, or tight to cover as the terrain and growth dictate. , NNW through NW or SSW through SW would be good winds.

I would definitely be using a portable blind since there is a very high likelihood that first SWAGes are wrong.

As a new bow hunter, don't over estimate your effective range, a common error. 30yds is pretty far with a bow. It is very, very easy to over estimate distances in the woods or under estimate distances in the open.Use a laser rangefinder to determine the distance to landmarks, like field edges, particular noteworthy trees, individual bushes, etc, all the way around your blind, or at least within the arc of possible shots. Walk off the distances before you hunt if you don't have a range finder.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top