Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/15/2023 9:37:10 PM EDT
What is a good book to start with?

Can I effectively get a decent one in the 3-400 range? I just don’t know.

Don’t see any good books out there. Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/15/2023 9:48:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Attachment Attached File

Good entry level?
Link Posted: 1/15/2023 9:49:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes you can find a bow in that range.

I'm partial to PSE's as I've been shooting them for 20 years and have never had any issues with them. They are typically higher than your range but you can find them on sale, there are also other options in your range that are likely very good.

My current PSE is at least 15 years old and its good enough that I don't feel the need to replace it. I recommend carbon fiber arrows, 90-100 grain 3-bladed fixed broad heads, 90-100 grain practice field points. I vary between a whisker biscuit rest because you can shoot at steep downward angles with it and a drop-away rest, I run the drop away most of the time. A 3 pin fiber optic sight is enough, you can step up to a battery powered LED 3 pin if you like.

My advice is "don't fall for the hype" when buying bows and accessories, you can get a very competent setup using middle of the road components and spend 1/3rd less. Also, find a good bow shop with a range and have them help you setup your bow.

Link Posted: 1/23/2023 12:30:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Before you get what is essentially a youth grow-with-you bow like a Bear Cruzer G2, there are used bows that will suit an adult better.  The brand I am partial to is Athens Archery. They have a transferable lifetime warranty on all Athens bows, unlike any other bow brand out there. Other brands will warranty a bow only to the original owner. Once it's sold as a used bow to another person, it is no longer under warranty. Athens doesn't do that. The warranty stays with the bow, regardless of who owns it.  You can get a good 3 year old Athens for $400 if you look in the right place (mostly Facebook archery groups).
Link Posted: 9/20/2023 9:30:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: creecher] [#4]
A good book to start with is "Howard Hill's Method Of Shooting A Bow And Arrow"

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top