Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/31/2015 11:57:58 AM EDT
I am new to bowhunting; this will be my first year.  We recently purchased a home with about 3 acres of woods surrounded by another 40 that we do not own.  As I am preparing for the hunting season, I have starting cutting some trails into the woods that I thought of using for riding (bike/ATV) as well as hunting.  I have heard some people, where I work, say I should stay out of the woods as much as possible or the deer will start moving further back on to land we do not own.  I have also heard some people say to use our land how we see fit and the deer will just get used to the different scents left behind.

I do have two distinct deer trails through my property.  I have put up one ladder stand, through some apples out about 10 yards from it, and they disappeared quickly with tracks all around.

Should I be concerned about playing in the woods throughout the year?
Start staying out of the woods late summer maybe?
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 12:05:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Where is their food source? Where is their water source? Where is their bedding area?

If none of that is in your immediate area and you give them reason to leave they will. If those do exist and the animals get chased frequently they will find new sources.

IMO you should be able to use your property the way you want and not chase them off the other owners forty acres. That should be a large enough buffer if sheltered area is scarce in your vicinity.

Are you able to hunt the neighbor's property?
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 12:19:10 PM EDT
[#2]
You should stay out of your hunting areas at least 3 months prior to the season. If you go in, go in quietly and de-scented.

Most people do not do this and they push deer to unpressured areas. Your property might be an unpressured area, same with the 40 acres next to you if nobody is in there and there is food and bedding.

Then people don't see deer again until the rut and they think that is just how it works.

I pattern other hunters for this specific reason and hunt places that don't have trees big enough for deer stands because that is where the deer go in my local area when people start scouting and putting up stands within weeks of bow season.

If you want to cut trails, do it in the spring.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 12:24:24 PM EDT
[#3]
I have ridden right up to a 6 point buck in a buggy and touched his antlers before and he looked like he was in a trance from the sound of the small 4 cylinder swamp buggy, so I guess the only noise that bothers them is gunfire
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 2:33:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have ridden right up to a 6 point buck in a buggy and touched his antlers before and he looked like he was in a trance from the sound of the small 4 cylinder swamp buggy, so I guess the only noise that bothers them is gunfire
View Quote

isolated incident.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 5:56:53 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

View Quote

I get close - though not that close - regularly on my tractor.

I think at least around here the deer don't feel threatened by "farming" activity.

It's all what the deer come to sense as normal.

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 6:44:03 AM EDT
[#6]
In MI, the Baldwin area is a major deer hunting area in season.  The other 9 months it is an ORV/ATV mecca.  There are several hundred miles of trails.  The deer are plentiful and use the trails too.  You can often see them ahead as they hop off the trail and hide behind cover.  Looking back after you pass, you can see them come back onto the trail.  We become part of the natural environment.  They arent scared away because they know that we dont harm them.  As a Bow and Firearm hunter as well, I'd say to use your property normally, let them get used to you and they won't get spooked by your presence.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 9:41:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the replies.  It sounds like the best idea is to stay out as much as possible for now.  I cut a short trail to get through the thick brush at the edge of the woods; nothing drastic.  I will leave it at that for this season.

Quoted:
Where is their food source? Where is their water source? Where is their bedding area?

If none of that is in your immediate area and you give them reason to leave they will. If those do exist and the animals get chased frequently they will find new sources.

IMO you should be able to use your property the way you want and not chase them off the other owners forty acres. That should be a large enough buffer if sheltered area is scarce in your vicinity.

Are you able to hunt the neighbor's property?
View Quote

The wooded area around us is surrounded by farm fields.  Lots of food sources.  We have quite a few oak trees on our property that bring the deer in and only one bedding spot right on the back lot line of our property.  We have a drainage ditch that runs to the back of our property that will accumulate water, but not much.  That is where one of the deer trails is located.  There really isn't a good water source near us.

I haven't met the neighbor yet, but I know he and a few of his friends hunt that land all year.  I plan to get in touch with him soon just to be friendly though.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 9:48:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
In MI, the Baldwin area is a major deer hunting area in season.  The other 9 months it is an ORV/ATV mecca.  There are several hundred miles of trails.  The deer are plentiful and use the trails too.  You can often see them ahead as they hop off the trail and hide behind cover.  Looking back after you pass, you can see them come back onto the trail.  We become part of the natural environment.  They arent scared away because they know that we dont harm them.  As a Bow and Firearm hunter as well, I'd say to use your property normally, let them get used to you and they won't get spooked by your presence.
View Quote

I have been riding in the UP, great place to go with phenomenal single track trails.  Same experience there with the deer and bear wandering the trails.  While the bear usually disappear quickly, I have come within a few inches of burying my front wheel under the belly of a deer.

I don't get a chance to ride, even on my property, very much; not sure if they would get used to me or not.  Thanks for the input.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 10:23:03 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

View Quote
I agree

Link Posted: 9/8/2015 8:03:45 PM EDT
[#10]
I watched a doe feed without a care in the world as a group of teens rode a couple of atvs 50 yards away.  She was used to it and not fazed in the least.

However, a trophy buck will usually be much more wary and secretive.

What are you after?
Link Posted: 9/9/2015 8:56:29 AM EDT
[#11]
Not really a trophy hunter.  Not that I would mind that 30 pointer walking up to me...  I primarily hunt and fish for food.  I have yet to see a buck or buck tracks on my property, but I know they are out there.

I haven't been in the woods much other than to throw some apples out.  I guess we will see how this first season goes and adjust from there.
Link Posted: 9/9/2015 9:54:44 AM EDT
[#12]
Bucks will often have a smaller path off a few yards to the side of main paths, and will come to feed after the does and young ones.

See if you can find smaller trails off to the side, as well as wait to see them come feed when it is almost dark,  after the other deer have been out for a while.  Trail cams will be a great help, too.

I know of a great book that can help a beginner as well, will post a link later tonight for you...
Link Posted: 9/10/2015 10:11:16 AM EDT
[#13]
Thanks.  I have read a lot and tried to prepare myself as much as possible for bowhunting.  I am not new to hunting or archery, but this will be my first year putting them together.
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 11:37:09 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 12:21:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Thanks again for the advice.  Not sure if I was in enough that they got used to me or otherwise, but it was a good hunt.  2.5 hours into the season!

Edit: Here we go:
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 6:48:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Beautiful!  Congratulations!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top