Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/23/2019 12:57:48 PM EDT
So I have a lane in my yard I can set up a target in, but near the end it slopes downhill. So at about 10 yards I’ll be shooting slightly downhill at it. From about 30 yards out it’s mostly level, then the drop. Any ideas how this will change sighting in at 10/20/30? Also since I’m practicing for shooting out of an elevated tree stand, will this screw me up in a big way?
Link Posted: 11/23/2019 1:39:04 PM EDT
[#1]
You need to figure drop for the HORIZONTAL distance, not the SLOPE distance.

Gravity only affects drop with relation to the horizontal.
Link Posted: 11/23/2019 3:21:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JPK] [#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By FredMan:

View Quote
ETA: Same rules with a shotgun or rifle too.
Link Posted: 11/23/2019 5:35:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By JPK:

ETA: Same rules with a shotgun or rifle too.
View Quote
Yep.  That Gravity is a harsh, non-discriminating bitch.
Link Posted: 11/23/2019 8:19:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By FredMan:

View Quote
OK so here’s what I’ve figured today. The target is against a 6’ tall fence. With a measuring tape at the top of the fence, it’s horizontally level across to the grass/yard at the 10 yard mark. From there on to the back fence at 30 yards, it keeps level. So I should be fine to zero my 10/20/30 pins as long as I’m at the correct horizontal distance?
Link Posted: 11/24/2019 7:12:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By KELBEAST:

OK so here’s what I’ve figured today. The target is against a 6’ tall fence. With a measuring tape at the top of the fence, it’s horizontally level across to the grass/yard at the 10 yard mark. From there on to the back fence at 30 yards, it keeps level. So I should be fine to zero my 10/20/30 pins as long as I’m at the correct horizontal distance?
View Quote
Correct.  But verify.
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 11:45:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Most modern range finders have an angle compensator. They’ll give you the true horizontal value. If you plan on hunting, you’ll need one anyways.

Vortex, bushnell, sig all make good ones.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top