Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/24/2018 8:39:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mhooligan]
After having multiple hand an back surgeries I've found myself unable to practice enough with a compound bow to feel as proficient as I should hunting.  I dont know much about crossbows but it seems a lot of crossbows list fps with bolt weights that aren't readily available

Looked at the TenPoint Nitro X first but when compared to crosman gladiator whisper 405 the price difference  seems a lot.  Then I saw the crosman comes with 3 390gr bolts (including broadheads)  that will give the 405 fps.  Having a hard time finding replacement bolts of similar weight.  What's the deal? Or am I missing / misreading something.

There have been a couple crossbows where I've seen the fps with a * and "with ___ bolt weight"
Link Posted: 8/24/2018 9:18:58 PM EDT
[#1]
My first, and only, bought about 3 years ago, is an Excaliber.  They are recurve crossbows, just love the simplicity. Check out their lineup.
Link Posted: 8/24/2018 9:58:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Urimaginaryfrnd] [#2]
Barnett Crossbow

I've had two crossbows I refuse to spent a thousand dollars for a crossbow there are several useable Barnett models that are worth a look.   Speed means that the arrow trajectory is a little flatter but at 15 to 35 yards you don't need the fastest one to shoot through and through.
Link Posted: 8/24/2018 10:01:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Urimaginaryfrnd] [#3]
Link Posted: 8/25/2018 6:48:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Take a look at several and see what you like; for a value crossbow the Wicked Ridge and Centerpoint Snyper are very popular.
Link Posted: 8/25/2018 12:22:34 PM EDT
[#5]
I've only owned a crossbow for a couple of years but I bought an Excalibur micro 335. Only $750 for the kit and I shot two deer last year. Anything over 300 feet per second is fine for deer hunting. The 335 is small, narrow and easy enough to shoot from a gun blind. To echo another poster the recurve system is super simple, no tuning needed every couple of years and you can change the string by yourself in 5 minutes. I looked at the prices in the latest Cabela's catalog and I think $1,500 for a crossbow is ridiculous. Your mileage may vary.
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 8:27:36 AM EDT
[#6]
I have restrung my Invader; sure it takes longer than a recurve but it doesn't take a rocket scientist now
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 2:43:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Don't buy a crossbow on one person's recommendation. There are pluses and minuses with nearly any crossbow. The very best ones the only minus is the price. There is a wide range of different bow speeds among the different manufacturers, and there are advantages and disadvantages to having a fast bow or one that's not so fast. I suggest you go to www.crossbownation.com Lots of knowledgeable folks there who are always willing to help. Various forums for different crossbows with detailed information about their bows.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top