Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Archery » Bows
Posted: 5/5/2017 10:27:48 AM EDT
Hey all,
I just got a new PSE Drive R (70-47lb). I'm new to bow hunting and have not really shot very much. I took it to the local shop for some lessons. the bow was spec'ed out at 60lbs. I couldn't get the bow back. I ended up shooting for about 75 min. We eventually ended up at 50lbs draw weight. They said they didn't want to go any lower than that. By that time I was pretty much spent and was still having issues getting the bow back.

So I have a few questions:
1. Would it make sense to get the version of the bow that goes from 40-60 so I have some more room to go down?
2. I will admit that I don't have a ton of upper body strength. I'm a cyclist (mountain, road) and ride a lot, decent core, great leg strength, but not a lot of upper body strength. Should I just keep the bow and do exercises to strengthen by shoulders and will this likely get better?
3. Is this a common issue for new shooters?

Thx for the help.

P.S.  Also posted this question in the Archery Talk forum.
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 10:42:08 AM EDT
[#1]
At 50 lbs you should be able to get it drawn. Alot of it is the method used to draw back. If you are pointing the bow at target level and trying to draw it back it will be difficult. Point bow up at 45 degree angle and pull back while pushing away with the riser hand. At the same time start bringing the bow down level ready to shoot if that makes sense. Maybe check youtube and watch some videos of people drawing their bow. Using this method I'm able to shoot at 70 lbs.
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 11:54:50 AM EDT
[#2]
It's just going to take some practice.  One of the elastic band trainers is good for muscle development.
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 11:57:09 AM EDT
[#3]
If you're primary use is for hunting, check your game regulations, here in Idaho, the minimum pull weight is 40 45# for large game  deer, elk etc.

I don't keep up with the latest and greatest in archery, but I don't think you're going to find any bows with a 20# variation in pull.  You can lighten the pull stroke on mine by loosing the riser bolt, but you can't go lower than 5# from the stated pull weight.  Any more and you're changing cams(s).

You might want to work on what the above poster said, push pull with your bow, I keep a rubber resistance band with handles under my chair in the living room and start to do arm pulls before bow season while watching movies or tv.

ETA  I was wrong, minimum pull is 45# not 40#.
Link Posted: 5/7/2017 8:05:06 AM EDT
[#4]
I would go back and get a bow with a lower draw weight and work your way up (if you feel you need to). You can only back the limb bolts out so many turns before it becomes hazardous ( i am guessing this is why they only would back you down to 50). Your focus should be on shot execution and not drawing the bow. If you are having trouble on the draw it is hard to shift focus to shot mechanics. Also make sure your draw length is not to long this could make getting to the back wall tougher.
Link Posted: 5/7/2017 12:06:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Recently got a PSE Omen Pro in a trade- 70lb.

I could NOT draw the thing, so sold it.

Bought a new Diamond Edge SB-1, and outfitted it the way I wanted.

Draw weight is adjustable from 7 to 70 lbs with nothing more than an Allen wrench. Draw length adjustment also requires only an Allen wrench.

Began with a 40 lb pull, and have stepped up to 50.

The advantages to the lower pull for a beginner are ease of use, lets you concentrate on accuracy and form- an afternoon of shooting is fun rather than a work-out- you'll be more likely to stay with it.

Nearly every manufacturer is now offering bows with nearly infinite adjustment.

Side note on the Omen: the guy I sold it to is a seasoned bow hunter. He told me later he could hardly draw the thing himself- it's up for sale again.
Apparently that model was known for a very hard draw- the appeal was when it came out, it was the fastest bow out there.

Now, not so much.
Page Archery » Bows
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top