Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/23/2017 9:53:41 PM EDT
Need advise on 2 different setups. I'm new again to archery hunting, and my daughter is hunting for her 2nd year. Want to keep it simple, shots will be no more than 30 yards, and likely really limited to 20. Ground blind or tree stand possible.

Her setup - Bowtech bow, 35 lbs. Shot Montec g5's, 85 grains last year, but I never felt they were sharp enough, so want to switch to replaceable this year. Looking at 85 grain thunderheads. Keeping with 85 grains because thats the field tips she has been shooting, and shooting well.

Me - new to me mathews mission. 43 lbs - I can pull more but I am not messing with the setup now. Planning on shooting Muzzy 100 gr 3 blades.

Any reason to change my thinking on either plan? 
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 10:36:01 PM EDT
[#1]
If you and your daughter are shooting them accurately then stick with your plan. Your are smart not to change anything just prior to a hunt.

But you may want to check your local regulations for minimum draw weight.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 10:59:58 PM EDT
[#2]
minimum draw weight is 35 lbs. 
Haven't bought the broadheads yet, wanting to see if I'm on the right track, so double checking here.
Hopefully they shoot well.
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 12:14:53 AM EDT
[#3]
If I was shooting low poundage, I'd go with a magnus buzzcut or similar. They fly great, work well for low draw weights and the company is great to deal with.
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 9:07:16 AM EDT
[#4]
I would suggest a 2 blade fixed for low poundage. I also would make sure her arrows are not too light. As a traditional shooter we get to see how arrow weight vs speed affect penetration and we tend to go with heavy arrows; 10-11gr/lb. At 35# I would suggest a similar rule of thumb for her. I know it's close to go time but adequate penetration is very important. For you, I had excellent results with Muzzy MX3's back when I shot a compound.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 11:57:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Thunderheads have always shot well for me, but I like Slick Trick Magnums the best.  Razor sharp and thick durable blades.  They fly true as well.  Make sure to always do a spin test on broadheads to make sure they are aligned well to the arrow.

The thing about fixed blade broadheads is that the blades will catch the air and steer the arrow if the bow and/or shooter's form is not well tuned.  This will result in the broadheads hitting at a different point of impact as field points.  If fixed blade broadheads are hitting the same point of impact as field points, then that indicates the bow is in tune and the shooter is pretty good.

So always make sure to practice with your fixed blades so there won't be any surprises when the shot counts.  And if you can't get the broadheads and field points to hit in the same place by tuning the bow and shooting with repeatable form, then you'll have to zero the sight to the broadheads and hope for the best because the POI will vary a little over distance as the arrow corkscrews and wig-wags.  Or use mechanical broadheads.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top