Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Archery » Bows
Posted: 11/7/2017 7:49:25 PM EDT
For the last 15 years ive shot a bowtech tomcat.  In the market for a new bow.  It will be for Indiana whitetail.  $1000 for a complete setup is my limit.  Any suggestions.  Been looking at Mathews or Hoyt.  A local shop usually puts their year end models up for sale after the first of the year.  So that's when I'm likely to buy.  But I'm not big into the know all's of archery I just shoot It usually 4 months of the year for season and just prior to.
Link Posted: 11/7/2017 8:01:17 PM EDT
[#1]
I have been buying and shooting Mathews for 20 years, go somewhere and shoot a bunch and one will just feel right to you, whatever brand.
I just like the Mathews lifetime guarantee. I one leaned my bow against a tailgate of a pickup and a friend drove over it 3 days before a flight for a elk-hunt.
Mathews overnight-ed a new limb to my local pro-shop at no charge, not even shipping charges. They gained a customer for life. Shoot a bunch and see what feels best.
Good luck.
Link Posted: 11/8/2017 10:47:48 AM EDT
[#2]
You really can't go wrong with a major brand - agree it mostly comes down to personal preference.
Link Posted: 11/13/2017 6:23:50 PM EDT
[#3]
just a shameless plug for bowtech's customer service---

i bone-headedly launched my bow, and destroyed the cam on a rock in my back yard. i explained to the bowtech rep on the phone that i was 100% an idiot and it was completely my fault, and i'd need to purchase a new cam assembly. he told me thanks for your honesty, and he'd be sending one out for free!!
Link Posted: 11/29/2017 7:30:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Just shot all (literally) the major bow models last week (mathews hoyt, bowtech, prime, etc), and put a 2017 Bowtech on order.  Unfortunately I wouldn't expect those models to go on sale...still in the lineup.

$1000 OTD for everything is a little limited for one of the high end models, even ones they are trying to move.  They all MSRP for that, and you still need sight, rest, quiver, release, arrows, and tax.

You could look at mission, diamond, PSE, or the Hoyt Powermax models.  They're all good bows.

You could also buy used and get a great deal.  Just a word of advice, buy a model that has an adjustable draw length, preferably without the use of a press.  You will lose out on a good shop's proper fit, setup, and shooting tip service if you go this route.
Link Posted: 11/29/2017 7:38:08 AM EDT
[#5]
The only way to buy a bow in my opinion is to go shoot them and see what feels good. I shoot a few arrows everyday all year long as well as 3d and hunting. I recently purchased a PSE evolve 35. The evolve cams are the best out there right now I think but Bowtech and Mathews also make great bows also. If you find a bow you like go over to the ArcheryTalk forums and see what you can find in the classified section. I bought the evolve for $750 bare bow from a member on AT as compared to $1100 in a shop.
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 11:27:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the input guys.  I been looking but not yet shot anything.  An aquantance of mine is selling a hoyt carbon element.  He said it's 4 years old has a HHA aight that sells for 210.   Drop away rest, hoyt quiver.  Hasn't yet set price.  What would be a decent used price for this bow providing I shoot It and I'm comfortable with it.
Link Posted: 1/27/2018 8:14:15 AM EDT
[#7]
$400-450.
Link Posted: 1/27/2018 11:44:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
$400-450.
View Quote
400 to 450 for the package?  What's the life of a bow.  This one is 4 years old.  My old bow I shot probably 300 too 400 arrows a year before season and that was it.  I'd like to get into much more.  Is it worth buying a used bow or just going new
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 8:17:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Bows do not hold their value well at all and accessories add limited value to them; that's the nature of the market.
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 8:56:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Ok how did I do.

4 year old Hoyt Carbon Element

Hoyt quiver

HHA sight.  Looked up suggested retail 269

Quad drop away runs 150 on internet

Stabilizer

12 carbon express arrows

Skb soft camo case

All looks new except very minor wear on the grip of the bow

Paid $600
Link Posted: 2/1/2018 9:23:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Sounds about right to me.
Page Archery » Bows
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top