Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/23/2019 11:22:02 AM EDT
I lost my first bow deer yesterday evening.  I rattled in a buck, about 23 yards broadside.  I was about 15’ up.  I had plenty of time to take the shot, didn’t feel rushed or nervous.  There was a horizontal limb between me and him, covering his lower chest/belly area.  That was the only obstacle, but I felt I would clear it fine, it wasn’t covering his vitals.

So I draw and shoot, hear a loud crack, and he takes off.  I felt really good about the shot.  It was about 7:20 and in heavy canopy, so light was getting slightly dim.  I give him 30-45 minutes before I go to where I shot him,  I find the arrow, broken with blood on the end at the break.  Looks to be about 4 inches broken off, including broadhead.

Begin tracking, find first blood about 30 yards away.  Bright red, the size of a plate.  From there on, blood was a few drops on the ground and where he brushed up against leaves or a tree.  Not scarce, but you has to look for it.  Tracked him probably 150 yards, he came out to a firebreak, ran the firebreak to a road, turned on the road, then to another firebreak.  At this point blood is just a fingernail sized drop every 15 yards or so.

Any suggestions/ideas?  I quit tracking at midnight last night.
Link Posted: 9/23/2019 11:34:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like a bone shot. I had the same exact thing happen with an elk. A loud crack, and a diminishing blood trail. I never found him

Try and pick up the trail again I guess. My luck has been such that coyotes and birds get to them after a day or so

Eta: if they died. Shoulder bone shots usually make it
Link Posted: 9/23/2019 11:44:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Agreed you hit bone; he probably survived
Link Posted: 9/23/2019 11:55:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Also: at 23 yards I would expect that arrow to bury DEEP, if not completely pass through. And a metric ton of blood.
Link Posted: 9/23/2019 11:55:47 AM EDT
[#4]
What bone can stop that?  Shoulder I assume?

What’s interesting is I typically shoot my target deer from his right side (same as buck I lost).  On a bad shot,  I NEVER hit shoulder and never low, always stomach or high on a bad shot.

Thinking on this last night, I found it interesting that I may have made a shoulder shot.
Link Posted: 9/23/2019 12:00:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Also: at 23 yards I would expect that arrow to bury DEEP, if not completely pass through. And a metric ton of blood.
View Quote
I’m not sure on draw weight, but I shoot a carbon maxima blue 350 arrow and rage chisel tip 3 blade broadheads.  And I’m certain I didn’t shoot him with a practice tip
Link Posted: 9/23/2019 12:00:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
What bone can stop that?  Shoulder I assume?

What’s interesting is I typically shoot my target deer from his right side (same as buck I lost).  On a bad shot,  I NEVER hit shoulder and never low, always stomach or high on a bad shot.

Thinking on this last night, I found it interesting that I may have made a shoulder shot.
View Quote
Buck fever does crazy things.  Ive lost a deer before after finding tons of blood initially. Hours of searching and following a diminishing blood trail before *poof* nothing.
Link Posted: 9/23/2019 12:01:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Attachment Attached File

I'm gonna bet you poked him there
Link Posted: 9/23/2019 12:10:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I’m not sure on draw weight, but I shoot a carbon maxima blue 350 arrow and rage chisel tip 3 blade broadheads.  And I’m certain I didn’t shoot him with a practice tip
View Quote
I use the same spine arrow and the same rages. I shot a cow elk a couple years ago at 20 yards and the arrow almost totally passed through. The damage was...exceptional
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top