Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/7/2019 6:29:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KELBEAST]
So I bought my first bow around 2009. It’s an old Jennings Buckmaster, I think I paid around $60 on Craigslist. I went straight to an archery shop and had them adjust it for me, place the peep sight, get me sighted in, etc. I bought a bunch of arrows from them. I spent a lot of time target shooting and a lot of time in the woods that year. The next year, moved to Hawaii for 4 years and didn’t take any hunting stuff with me. Then moved to FL (Keys) for 4, never used the bow. Now I’m in Alabama, and I want to get back into it.

So the bow, the cheap Walmart stabilizer and limb dampeners literally melted like chocolate. Sight tube dry rotted and cracked. Apparently at some point I took off the sight and I have no idea where it went. I think it was when I wanted to try bowfishing. So I hit eBay. Sold the 2 prong shoot-through rest, bought a whisker biscuit and a sight for cheap. Bought limb dampers, sight tube, and finally got a pretty good deal on a string stop that actually fits the bow. Go to install it, I don’t have the right size torx to adjust it. But we’re getting there. Still need a stabilizer, release, and a LOT more practice arrows.

Link Posted: 1/12/2019 10:59:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Got some limb dampeners in, found a driver for the torx. I can tell the string doesn’t twang anymore when the string stop puts slight pressure on it. Still waiting on peep sight tubing, sight light and level. Haven’t ordered a stabilizer yet, and I need a release and arrows

Link Posted: 1/29/2019 6:37:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Well I sold some stuff from another hobby, pocketed some cash. Turns out Walmart in my area is clearancing our archery this time of year. Got a stabilizer for $13 and a Scott quick shot release for $19. I still need a few more small things and a couple of arrows for practice/hunting and I’ll be back in the game.

Link Posted: 1/29/2019 8:16:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Another quick project this evening. I got 36” of sight tubing. 9 inches ended up being perfect (that’s what She said!) so I have enough material to make 3 identical spares. Still waiting on the sight light and level I ordered.

Link Posted: 2/13/2019 1:03:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Chinese eBay LED threads in perfect and has plenty of O-rings to seal it up. I need to Loctite the threads though. I think it cost $1.50 vs trophy ridge @ $15. Same damn thing. Still waiting on my China bubble level.

Link Posted: 2/13/2019 5:31:06 PM EDT
[#5]
I was at Walmart for trailer tires, noticed they had paracord wrist slings on clearance. $5, normal price was $15. Took one home, and it tickled my hand so I re-routed it. Feels better this way. If it’s wrong, I’m all ears for suggestions.

Next purchase: Walmart has arrows for $1.50, so I think I’m gonna grab a dozen or so and a pack of field points. Then we can start putting holes in things.

I’m also on the hunt for a clearance quiver. I don’t want to pay $24 so I’m watching my websites.

Link Posted: 2/15/2019 5:12:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Took a detour and hit the Dawes AL Walmart today since they were the only ones in the area with quivers on clearance. Trophy ridge 4-banger, normally $24, got it for $5. Gonna go get me a pile of those $1.50 arrows too.

Link Posted: 2/15/2019 9:05:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 19Cohiba75] [#7]
Nice job getting the old bow back out into the light !! I myself just started into the archery dept with all Walmart clearance products. I figure that I'm just starting out so if I don't keep it up then I didn't waste a lot of money

Paid $49.99 for the Bear Pledge
Trophy Ridge 4 Banger Quiver $5
LimbSaver TwistLox Dampners $4
X-Factor Wrist Sling $5
Kisser Button $7   Bought at Dicks sporting goods
Fuse Stabilizer 6" $33 bought at local archery shop
4 Bone Collector arrows $1 each
True Fire Smoke EXT release $9
Bow Stand $7

$124 I am into this fun hobby and future hunting rig !!! Also bought about 50 arrows ranging from .50 to $1
Link Posted: 2/15/2019 11:48:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KELBEAST] [#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 19Cohiba75:
Nice job getting the old bow back out into the light !! I myself just started into the archery dept with all Walmart clearance products. I figure that I'm just starting out so if I don't keep it up then I didn't waste a lot of money

Paid $49.99 for the Bear Pledge
Trophy Ridge 4 Banger Quiver $5
LimbSaver TwistLox Dampners $4
X-Factor Wrist Sling $5
Kisser Button $7   Bought at Dicks sporting goods
Fuse Stabilizer 6" $33 bought at local archery shop
4 Bone Collector arrows $1 each
True Fire Smoke EXT release $9
Bow Stand $7

$124 I am into this fun hobby and future hunting rig !!! Also bought about 50 arrows ranging from .50 to $1
View Quote
Nice score on the bow!! I’m sure you’ll love it. There’s one Walmart around me with the Pledge and it’s $99 which is still an awesome price vs MSRP. I was debating picking one up, but this bow is almost ready to shoot and $99 buys a LOT of $1 arrows, field points and clearance broadheads. I need the practice a lot more than I need a second bow.

I still need to wax my string, sight in, paper test to make sure my rest and nocking point are lined up, and I probably need to find somebody with a chronograph so I can see what speed this thing even shoots at. And practice.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top