Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/5/2020 1:53:52 PM EDT
I am looking for help with a mid to late season jacket and pant for hunting from my treestand.  I was looking at the Scentlok full season element jacket and pants and was looking for opinions on the setup.  I had a rainy second day here in Pa and I got a little wet, not soaked but I was a little uncomfortable I believe it would have been worse if the wind was really blowing.  Looking for something to keep me dry and warm all the way into December in Pa.  If anyone has any suggestions I am all ears before I drop coin on gear.  Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 1:59:32 PM EDT
[#1]
You are going to want to layer more than anything.  Get some nice merino wool base layers and go from there. Make sure you have a breathable yet waterproof jacket.

I used to bow hunt all the time throughout PAs deer season and I got tired of hauling so much gear.

Oh and rubber insulated boots. Those were a godsend on cold windy days.
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 3:04:10 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a nice set of muck boots that are working like a champ.  I just had regular baselayers on this morning.  May have to look into Merino Wool baselayers.  I kept mostly dry just got a little chilly from my legs getting a little wet.
Link Posted: 10/6/2020 2:51:42 PM EDT
[#3]
I agree with the merino base layers. Minus 33, black ovis, Kuiu and sitka make good merino stuff. A down jacket or vest also helps keep your core temp up when it gets cold.
Link Posted: 11/10/2020 8:13:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Lots of good suggestions here. I'll add that I've had great luck with ECWCS stuff here in weather down to below zero wind chills. Both the silk and grid fleece layer, plus fleece jacket and bibs, work well to keep warm under pretty much any outer layer that is somewhat windproof. Have also used the level 7 layer when the wind chills are well below zero to good effect. The nice thing about the ECWCS stuff is it is pretty affordable compared to a lot of other options.

The most important thing to me is good boots, polypropylene socks with a good wool sock over the top, and a good way to keep hands warm. A hand muff with a warmer and thin gloves allows you to maintain a lot of dexterity while still being able to slip warm hands out for action pretty quickly. I'll also recommend Baffin and Schnee's boots.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top