Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/27/2019 2:21:41 PM EDT
I hate how sentimental I am and it's almost a curse at times. I can't seem to let myself sell my first bow which probably isn't worth much anyway.
So here's my point,  what have you done with your first bow? Maybe you sold it, maybe you still use it,  has anyone done anything interesting with theirs?
I'm using the 4th bow I've ever purchased,  the rest have been sold besides the first obviously. I keep telling myself I'll use my first but haven't yet.
Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/27/2019 2:43:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: die-tryin] [#1]
Still have it, was my dad’s, id mess with it as a kid. Its a Bear recurve, 50 years old atleast, ill never restring it. Ill never get rid of, so it just gets moved around til i can come up with a display for it.
Link Posted: 12/27/2019 6:50:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Rocklock] [#2]
I still have my dads lemon wood bow from the late 40s .

He bought it in the Bronx after he got out of the Army .

I still have my first Western Archery Bow in 1980 .

I have a compound bow , but its like carrying an awkward rifle .

A recurve or longbow is a joy to hunt with .
Link Posted: 12/28/2019 10:07:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dbd870] [#3]
Ben Pearson recurve - can't remember what happened to it. That was almost 50 years ago
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 3:40:45 AM EDT
[#4]
I sold my first bow when I was about 15 years old. I was getting too big for it and thought I'd over draw and damage it. My Dad had a Bear Grizzly at that time and I still have and shoot it.
Link Posted: 1/7/2020 12:21:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Well, ok....my first bow doesn't seem so special anymore...lol.

But I'm glad I asked. You guys that have your dad's bow is pretty awesome. That's really something cool. My dad has never been much of a hunter except when I got him hooked on spring turkey hunting about 5 years ago.
My first was a Bowtech Guardian compound. I may get off my rear end this winter and restring it and start shooting it again. It's amazing how smooth these new bows are though compared to something not that old.

happy shooting!
Link Posted: 1/7/2020 9:41:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Dobber3030:
Well, ok....my first bow doesn't seem so special anymore...lol.

But I'm glad I asked. You guys that have your dad's bow is pretty awesome. That's really something cool. My dad has never been much of a hunter except when I got him hooked on spring turkey hunting about 5 years ago.
My first was a Bowtech Guardian compound. I may get off my rear end this winter and restring it and start shooting it again. It's amazing how smooth these new bows are though compared to something not that old.

happy shooting!
View Quote
Well, if you have kids, pass yours down and then they have a story.
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 2:59:31 AM EDT
[#7]
First bow was in a little kids Indian set, knife, spear and bow, I was about 3.  I could throw the knife but the spear was too heavy and I couldn't use the bow.  Next summer I could throw the spear, knife and shoot the bow.  I was amazed at the difference in trajectory between the spear, the knife was flatter and the bow was flattest.

At about 5 I got a translucent fiberglass round bow with a flattened back.  It was light blue and about like a fiberglass driveway marker stick.  The arrows were better toy arrows with suction cups.  Eventually one of the arrows split and the back of it went through the web of my bow hand.

Around 8 I got a translucent yellow fiberglass bow with a red plastic grip.  Got some real arrows too, way over spined of course.  This bow was probably about 45" long when strung.  The grip got wear from the arrows.  I used it until about 14.  Up to then I was shooting arrow on the right side and three finger Mediterranean draw, I'm right handed.

Today the bow I shoot most is a fiberglass 50in kids bow that is very much like the yellow, red grip bow from my youth.  This bow was sold by Bear and is painted red.  Like the yellow bow it is ambidextrous, I shoot it vertical and canted left arrow and three finger split or three finger under as well as right arrow thumb ring, and Comanche and Ishi styles.

At about 14 I got a fiberglass recurve painted grey and started shooting arrow on the left and the same three finger split style.  No arrows had knocks that stuck on the string back then.  The fiberglass recurve was too heavy but it was beautiful to me.  One limb split and it was replaced with a fiberglass longbow, painted grey, that was way too heavy draw.

At about 16 the fiberglass long bow was replaced by a laminated Browning Mohawk recurve.  The Mohawk is 54" and 25lb draw, less than half the draw weight of the longbow.  I still have the Mohawk and still shoot it occasionally as a legacy bow.  I've been shooting it for 57 years.

Next was a Damon Howatt Ventura laminated recurve, AMO 66", 35lb.  Got it about 1970, still have it and need to shoot it some more.  This bow was used in league shooting for a few years and it did just great.

What's the difference between true love and a good bow?  A good bow is forever.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top