Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Archery » Bows
Posted: 2/19/2021 1:42:00 PM EDT
I've been messing with compound bow's for a while. 60lbs is no problem for me on my hoyt. I've been looking at jumping into a recurve with a low draw weight just to shoot for fun. Maybe hunt some small game once I get going with it.

What draw weight should I get?

SAS Maverick sounds like a good bow at a good price. It comes in 5 lb increments, but I can't tell if I should just go straight to the bottom 35lbs, or if I'm ever going to want a little more for any reason or another.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 11:40:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Amazon lists a bottom draw weight of 29 lbs. That would be the one I’d get for the use you describe.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 11:42:51 AM EDT
[#2]
On a recurve you're eating the whole weight the whole time its drawn. I was able to take rabbits as far as 50m with a 30lbs recurve as a kid. With a 35lbs compound with sights it was a lot more regular getting hits. Compound I won't pull one lighter than 50lbs anymore or heavier than 70lbs. I like enough weight on the trigger/fingers to know I'm holding something but not enough to induce shake or to hurt to pull suddenly when it's ice cold out and I'm not warmed up.
Link Posted: 3/10/2021 10:00:21 PM EDT
[#3]
To me, 40# is the ideal lightweight recurve weight.  It's also the lowest weight legal for deer hunting in many states.  It's easy enough to draw and hold for most adults.  My recurve is 45# and it's no problem but my sister's 40# is definitely more enjoyable for just fun shooting.
Link Posted: 3/26/2021 4:43:40 PM EDT
[#4]
I've been shooting the heck out my daughters Samick sage at 25#.
Page Archery » Bows
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top