Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/15/2017 2:04:50 PM EDT
Greetings everyone,
So this is my first year bowhunting deer. I started the fall season hunting from the ground. Opening day I had two deer come within 15 yards but it was a staring contest and I couldn’t get a shot. That spot has received a lot of hunting pressure so I have switched to a different plot of public land. I just got a climber and I’m trying to figure out if there are any tips for successfully drawing in deer. I have found some sign in the new area. Droppings, tracks, and abandoned homemade 2x4 stands. Other than playing the wind, being scent free are there any ways to draw them in? I was using tinks doe p and was having good results ground hunting. I have a grunt tube and the can. But I don’t want to over call. Any tips for a newbie would be great.
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 10:52:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Far from an expert, but those abandoned 2x4 stands are not likely deer sign - they use better quality stuff like concrete
More seriously, I don't know much about calling. I think its mere a matter of finding quality travel corridors, and then active scrapes and activities during the rut.
I just re started bowhunting, and it is ungodly warm up here, so no rut activity yet. 
There must be some decent videos out there on calls and scents, but I am not sold on them. Finding the activity is first, then you might get them close with calls etc.
Keep in mind I am in central NY, so not a lot of big bucks and competition for does, so your experience may be different.
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 9:50:41 AM EDT
[#2]
I don't blind call, only use it to get something there in and usually don't carry a call until closer to rut time.
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 4:26:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Look for edges.  That would be where woods transition to a cutover field with waist high grass and briars, or oaks transition to thick pine.  They like to travel long those edges.  Also big bucks like to live way deep into the thickest, nastiest thorniest places where humans don't go.  They pick up lots of tricks on how to move around withour being shot after surviving a couple or more seasons.  They get a little careless during the rut though.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 6:59:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Deer like paths. Find a funnel where paths take them to a food or water source.
Don’t call much at all. I think most people over call. I rattle and grunt a little during the rut, and will use the grunt to bring a buck I see closer, but otherwise leave it alone.
Once the rut starts they move a lot. It’s just a matter of you being there when they move past.
Link Posted: 11/10/2017 5:39:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Dupe
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top