Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/7/2020 9:01:10 AM EDT
I’ve been rifle hunting for about 25 years and got in to bow hunting last year. I had a shot at a nice one last year and shot just under him at about 50 yards. I was sick for a while over that one, still am a little since it was just a stupid ranging error.

I’ve done some sitting this year in the same spot and have been seeing nice ones off in the distance but nothing close enough. About 20 min prior to sundown yesterday i see this guy off in the distance and same thing, just wanders off with no response to calling. About 20-30 minutes later i hear rustling in the woods behind me. Eventually he got close enough where i could see it was a buck. He came through to the edge of the woods and the swampy area i’m hunting over at a perfect 20-25 yards and stopped before i had a clear shot and turned around. I was thinking shit, he’s gonna go back and I dont have a shot in the woods. He turned and came down the tree line passing right under me. I drew back and shot, was probably 8 yards max. I was a little nervous where it would hit since My 1st pin is 20 yd and straight down is the one shot I never practiced. He took off like a rocket but I knew he was hit good because I could see the blood coming out his side almost instantly. I found him maybe 50 yards from me, he circled out into the swamp and back in to the woods about 40 yards down and didnt make it far from there. It hit just behind the shoulder a little high but caught a lung and he bled like crazy, massive clotting in the chest cavity.

Link Posted: 11/7/2020 9:09:52 AM EDT
[#1]
That's awesome. Congrats.
Link Posted: 11/7/2020 9:28:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/7/2020 9:38:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Nice job and nice deer!

If you are a bow hunter little mishaps happen.   Before shooting my first archery deer I pulled up on a doe while going to my tree stand.   Easy thirty yard shot with my old Bear Whitetail 2 and slow heavy 2117 arrows.  Got excited and used my bottom pin instead of my top pin sailing the arrow safely over her back and my satellite titan broadhead got bent in a fish hook striking rock rubble.   Then there is the invisible twig midway along your arrows path which your arrow strikes divirting the deadly blow to the dirt near your deer.

The bonus is when it all comes together with those lessons learned and your deer earned.  

Well done!
Link Posted: 11/7/2020 9:44:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Congrats!
Link Posted: 11/7/2020 10:00:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Nice deer congrats. By the way 50 yards is just to far. One step after you release the arrow results in a gunshot deer. Welcome to bow hunting !
Link Posted: 11/7/2020 10:43:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Very nice!
Link Posted: 11/7/2020 12:52:36 PM EDT
[#7]
so your telling me you killed that deer with a sharp stick?! way to go!!! archery really extends your season. nice one...
Link Posted: 11/7/2020 12:58:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Nice
Link Posted: 11/7/2020 1:12:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Congrats

Nice buck
Link Posted: 11/7/2020 1:22:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nice deer congrats. By the way 50 yards is just to far. One step after you release the arrow results in a gunshot deer. Welcome to bow hunting !
View Quote

50 yards is not too far at all. I have killed them at 80.  

People who think you can’t shoot a bow over 30 yards need to go west of the Mississippi.
Link Posted: 11/7/2020 3:47:51 PM EDT
[#11]
The expandables I’m using did a real number. Sliced a rib clean through on the way in.

The arrow broke in half when he ran off. There was a small field tip size hole on the opposite side so i figured maybe the blades broke off and just the tip came out. I found the fletching side but not the tip. I ended up finding it in his armpit area between the skin and ribs.

Link Posted: 11/7/2020 5:38:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Butchering the front shoulder i just noticed it blew through the top rear of the shoulder blade too
Link Posted: 11/12/2020 1:00:52 AM EDT
[#13]
be careful if the carbon arrow broke dont use any of the meat in that area ..... carbon shards dont good thing to your guts
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top