Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/22/2019 10:53:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Blowout]
I have a couple 45# recurve bows and have a couple dozen carbon arrows that have a bit too much spine

Using Beman ICS Hunter 500 now and doesn’t look like they have a lighter spine available. The 600 is only available in the Centershot brand which are target arrows with small plastic fletching.

I could use heavier tips to weaken the spine, but a lighter spine would be preferable.

This is for hunting and I use fingers with a glove.

Any suggestions for a carbon arrow?
Link Posted: 10/23/2019 10:31:09 AM EDT
[#1]
When I could still use a vertical bow I was shooting 500's with a heavy tip. 45# like you. Liked the heavier arrow over a 600 and the high FOC. If you really want to go to 600's take a look at the RIP arrows from Victory
Link Posted: 10/24/2019 1:51:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By dbd870:
When I could still use a vertical bow I was shooting 500's with a heavy tip. 45# like you. Liked the heavier arrow over a 600 and the high FOC. If you really want to go to 600's take a look at the RIP arrows from Victory
View Quote
Thanks for pointing out the RIP arrow! Their calculator indicates I should use a 600 spine shaft. I'll look into these more.

Using the calculator from 3rivers archery I'd need a 190gr tip to get the Beman 500 arrows I have to match the bow with my draw.  Curious how heavy of a tip did you use?

Might just pick up some 200 gr field tips and carefully grind off 10 gr from each... then check to see if they correct my issue of grouping to the left. I'm right handed.
Link Posted: 10/24/2019 4:38:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: dbd870] [#3]
195 Steelforce. 10gr isn't going to make any difference.
Link Posted: 10/24/2019 2:46:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Blowout] [#4]
Your most likely correct... I'm a bit OCD Found a 190gr broadhead and I'd like the field point weight to match.

Thanks for providing the tip weight you used. I'll try a heavier tip before experimenting with a lighter arrow.
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 11:04:58 AM EDT
[#5]
I recommend Big Jims new line of carbon arrows.  I've taken two deer so far with them and they are great for the range.

Dark Timber is the brand name offered on his web site.
Link Posted: 11/1/2019 2:43:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By _JP_:
I recommend Big Jims new line of carbon arrows.  I've taken two deer so far with them and they are great for the range.

Dark Timber is the brand name offered on his web site.
View Quote
Thanks for the recommendation. He definitely has some light spine arrows.

I just picked up some 200gr field points to see how they do with the 500 spine. If I don't like it, I'll try a lighter arrow and point.
Link Posted: 11/12/2019 6:57:06 AM EDT
[#7]
I was looking at buying 500 spine carbons for my new 45# recurve using 125 grain field tips/broadheads.  Is this too light?  It was what the spine charts recommend as well as the bow shop tech.

We tried using my carbons from my compound but they were too stiff.  He put some really heavy inserts in them and they flew well (hit hard too) but the trajectory was way too rainbow shaped for my taste.  Hence the shopping for 500 spine arrows.  This conversation makes me wonder if it's too light of setup?
Link Posted: 11/12/2019 12:46:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Plenty of deer have been killed with 45# traditional bows. What is your arrow weight with the inserts
Link Posted: 11/12/2019 1:09:04 PM EDT
[#9]
I’m having really good luck with the victory  VAP TKO elite series . Hits like a sledgehammer with noticeable penetration compared to standard dia arrows. 600 spine should work for you.
http://va.ftc-review.com/vap-tko-hunting-arrow/
Link Posted: 11/16/2019 12:07:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Blowout] [#10]
Originally Posted By BIG-DUKE-6:
I’m having really good luck with the victory  VAP TKO elite series . Hits like a sledgehammer with noticeable penetration compared to standard dia arrows. 600 spine should work for you.
http://va.ftc-review.com/vap-tko-hunting-arrow/
View Quote
I'm not sure bout how well those VAP TKO arrows would work for me. Fletch seems way too small for shooting with a glove. Maybe they have other options than what they show in pictures.

Only finding 400, 350 and 300 spine available online. Suppose I'd need to call them up and see what is possible.
Link Posted: 11/19/2019 9:23:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 11/25/2019 2:24:58 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Brandi:
I was looking at buying 500 spine carbons for my new 45# recurve using 125 grain field tips/broadheads.  Is this too light?  It was what the spine charts recommend as well as the bow shop tech.

We tried using my carbons from my compound but they were too stiff.  He put some really heavy inserts in them and they flew well (hit hard too) but the trajectory was way too rainbow shaped for my taste.  Hence the shopping for 500 spine arrows.  This conversation makes me wonder if it's too light of setup?
View Quote
It depends on your arrow length and bow. My son has a slightly longer draw length with his 45# Kodiak Magnum and 125gr points are what's recommended. My arrows are 1" shorter and have a grizzly bow and need to 200gr points.

Use a spine calculator that has input for the bow too:

https://www.3riversarchery.com/dynamic-spine-arrow-calculator-from-3rivers-archery.html
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top