Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/26/2012 9:47:03 PM EDT
Long time bowhunter here.. I received a Barnett Jackal for Christmas, now I need to pick out a broadhead. I prefer fixed blades.. Any suggestions?

Thanks..
Link Posted: 2/7/2013 9:58:33 PM EDT
[#1]
I just started bow hunting this past year.  I purchased a Barnett Jackel and have been very satisfied with it.  I hear Muzzy fixed blades are really good, but I chose mechanicals because they shoot like field points.  I've had excellent luck with Grim Reaper broad heads...3 shots, 3 deer in the freezer.  Gonna buy the T-shirt  Good luck.
Link Posted: 9/13/2013 9:09:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Recently I bought some
NAP killzone broadheads only to find out after opening the package that they weren't recommended for crossbows.

Any suggestions as to what you all use?  I've been happy with NAP so far, I HATE muzzies, and I don't want them to cost an arm and a leg!!!
Link Posted: 9/16/2013 11:11:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ds762:
Recently I bought some NAP killzone broadheads, only to find out after opening the package that they weren't recommended for crossbows.
View Quote

why were those not recommended for crossbows?
Link Posted: 12/8/2016 6:17:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Slick Trick broadheads are an excellent choice for a fixed blade. They have several versions starting with a 1" diameter cutting width, which afford excellent groups. Before you say more width is better, there were statistics compiled of 1" diameter heads vs larger diameter heads. It was determined that the factor that ensured clean, fast kills regardless of broadhead cutting diameter was shot placement. Will a deer drop dead faster with a larger diameter head through both lungs? Probably, but the smaller diameter head will kill it just as certain if it's in the vitals, and the distance traveled will be minimal. I've had two deer hit broadside with perfect placement where an expandable head deflected off the ribs on the entrance side and exiting out the opposing rear leg on one, and just in front of the opposing rear leg on another. One resulted in a very long tracking job to recover the deer, and the other resulted in a longer tracking job than it should have. A guy on a crossbow forum I frequent hunts the world over extensively with a crossbow and Slick Tricks are what he uses. They're what I use now.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 10:35:28 PM EDT
[#5]
I have been using NAP Killzones for years in crossbows and they are terrific. I've used the "regular" ones in a Horton Vision that shot about 320fps (I am guessing). I switched to Killzone Crossbow heads when I went to the Tenpoint Venom that I measured at 348fps. The Barnett Jackal web page says 315fps, I think you can run the regular ones just fine. I used them plenty in that Vision and never had a bad shot.

OP, only recommendation I have for fixed blade is the G5 Montec. Very effective and easy to re-sharpen. I just prefer the stupidly insane entrance and exit wounds of the Killzones.

-Stooxie
Link Posted: 12/25/2016 9:44:16 AM EDT
[#6]
There are a number of good fixed blade broadheads. Don't make the mistake of choosing a large cutting diameter head. Most people think the bigger the cut, the better. The problem is the wider the head the more problems with arrow flight consistency. Studies have shown that shot placement is the critical factor in killing an animal. There is little difference in the distance an animal will travel when shot through the lungs with a wide cut head or a 1" diameter head. I use 1" diameter cut Slick Tricks on the recommendation of a guy who travels the world hunting exotic game numerous times a year. Though they are remarkably consistent in shooting tight groups, all broadheads should be sighted in apart from shooting field tips, they will usually shoot to a different point of impact.
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 9:21:25 PM EDT
[#7]
My hunting buddy and i both use slick tricks.  I’m very ocd about that stuff so I tested a couple highly rated mechanicals and other fixed blades.  The STs were the most accurate.  The mechanicals shot ok, but they were unreliable. I’m not sure they’re going to be reliable when shot at crossbow velocities. Sometimes they’d open in flight. Also, they don’t have the same impact spot on following shots as they tend to deform on impact.  So the next time you use one, POI changes.  The cutting blades aren’t very strong
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 11:14:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: buck19delta] [#8]
I bought a tenpoint stealth earlier this summer. I sold a few guns to pay for it, I was not shooting the guns, and figured getting a nice crossbow that would take my deer season from about a month total hunting time, to 4.5 months hunting time was a good investment. I only had the three bolts that came with it though, and no broadheads at all, so today I fixed that and picked up some broadheads and some bolts. I ordered some of these today off ebay, two different types of fixed three blade broadheads.  I read a few decent reviews on the broadheads and the victory bolts, so figured I would give them a try. I assume they are Chinese manufactured, hell what isn't these days?

I expect they should be decent enough its not rocket science to make a broadhead, and I think paying $35 bucks for 3 broadheads  is crazy. I got 24 of the black broadheads for $60 bucks, and also 24 of the silver ones for $70. realistically this is probably a lifetime of broadheads for me as long as I don't lose them. these are supposed to be pretty easy to sharpen on a whet stone. iv been considering ordering some killzone mechanicals, 12 of them is around $30 bucks. I think I will order some killzones next month, and if I like the silver broadheads I will order another set of 24. I picked up a dozen victory carbon bolts for $60 bucks as well. they had some decent reviews and thought id give them a try, I also ordered omni nocks to replace the half moon nocks they come with. that gives me 15 bolts, 48 broadheads, and a dozen field points. If I like the victory bolts, then next month I will order another 2 dozen, and another 24 of the silver broadheads. that really will be a lifetime supply for me. the only thing left now is to get a hardcase for my crossbow which I will do next month as well.

24 fixed three blade. $70 bucks

silver.

Attachment Attached File

24 black three blade $60 bucks
black
Attachment Attached File

a dozen victory bolts. $60.00

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 12:46:22 PM EDT
[#9]
You may be fine with those cheap broadheads, then again you may not. It can sometimes be a challenge to find a fixed blade broadhead that will fly accurately from a crossbow. For example, I've used three blade Thunderheads with great success from my vertical bow for almost 20 years. Tried them in my crossbow at 350 fps and they were all over the place, could not hit a tennis ball sized target at even 30 yards with them, even though I was hitting the same target all the way out to 60 yards with field tips. Switched to Shwacker mechanicals and I was again hitting that target out to 60. I do not particularly care for mechanicals, but I leave on the 6th for a hunting trip so they will have to do. I know people who are using fixed three blade Slick Tricks and Ramcats out of similar crossbows and they are having good luck with them. I ordered some of each and will test them when I get back.

Good luck with those broadheads, I hope they work for you.
Link Posted: 8/3/2019 9:04:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Slick Tricks for me.
Link Posted: 11/28/2019 6:53:11 PM EDT
[#11]
I’ve been happy with my rage crossbow broad heads.

I’ve killed two deer this fall.  Both kills resulted from solid heart/lung hits.

Blood trails from both kills were more than adequate to follow at night under white light.

I’ll continue to use them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top