User Panel

Broad head debate. (Page 2 of 2)
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 11:16:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By loonybin:
Unfortunately, I have yet to kill a deer with any broadhead, so I don't exactly have much experience to impart.  I currently have a couple 2-blade broadheads that have proven very effective, plus my son won some 3-blade broadheads that have shown themselves to be blood-gushers.

My son's 3-blade Phoenix broadheads by Red Feather Archery are single-bevel instead of dual-bevel and rotate as they enter.  I had the misfortune of missing my broadhead target one day while practicing and burying the broadhead in a 4x4 –– all the way up to the insert.  I couldn't just wiggle the broadhead out as it had rotated, just as it was supposed to.  I had to dig the dang thing out, and there's now a decent hole in that post.  There was no damage whatsoever to the broadhead.  That rotation is supposed to help keep the wound channel from closing, thus causing more bleeding.

I also have the RazorHawk from RFA as well, which is one of my 2-blades, and it, too is single-bevel, causing an S-shaped cut instead of just a slit.  My German-Kinetics SilverFlame 125XL is a typical 2-blade broadhead, except it's made of 440B steel, is tough as nails, and has a 1.5" cutting diameter.  A 1.5" cutting diameter on a fixed blade is very appealing to me.
View Quote
I’ve tried the Phoenix and very stout, I had tuning issues, I prefer a version of slick tricks.  I’ve always been attracted to the idea of the expandables, but I’ve had an expendable failure so I’ve moved back to the fixed blades.
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 11:27:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: coregon] [#2]
I shot Thunderheads and Muzzy, both 85gr for years at Whitetails.  Even after the mechanicals and other fixed took over as the "it" broadhead to have.

In 2017, I went out to ID for archery elk and my guide recommended Trophy Taker Shuttle T's.  After doing some research, a lot of people recommended the G5 Montec, too.  I bought both, but I shot the Shuttle T's slightly better (identical to the TT field points).

I shot my bull at 32yds - I hit his left front shoulder, broke 3 ribs on that side, double lung, liver, passed through the gut wall, broke off his right rear flank and stuck in a tree 9 yds behind him.  He was quartering to me, so it passed, nearly, the length of his body and stuck in the tree.  I would shoot that same broached at another elk tomorrow, without hesitation.  It slightly curled about 15-20% of one edge, that's it.

I'm a believer in the Shuttle T's now and it's all i'll shoot.
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 11:52:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: j1r11] [#3]
The one in my avatar. No longer being made, rocky mountain turbo/ bairre blitz. All pass throughs, no damage.  Worst was anything muzzy.  Cannot get them to tune.
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 12:38:32 AM EDT
[#4]
I just started shooting and hunting last year. My bow is only set for a little over 50 lb so I'm worried about mechanicals operating correctly. I got some Muzzy 3 blades cheap and they have killed a lot of animals over the years so I figured I couldn't go to wrong.

I shoot them as well as my field points at 30-40 yards.  Got a doe this year on a good double lung shot.  She went about 30 yard and did a circle before dropping DRT.  Don't see any reason to change right now.  The entry and exit were both good size and broke a rib going into her.
Link Posted: 11/16/2019 5:50:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By j1r11:
The one in my avatar. No longer being made, rocky mountain turbo/ bairre blitz. All pass throughs, no damage.  Worst was anything muzzy.  Cannot get them to tune.
View Quote
That's strange... I've only had an issue with one muzzy that wouldn't fly straight out of about 12.

My bow is stupid easy to tune though and very forgiving...we'll so how it goes when I upgrade from my PSE Brute to my dad's Mathews Heli-M.
Link Posted: 11/16/2019 5:52:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By mousehunter:
I have a collection of upshot broad-heads.  My expandables are so old the o-rings are rotten.  My muzzy are ancient as well.  Saw these last night.  They might not be the best flying - but for a 14 year old step-son who watches too much walking dead (and zombie stuff), bet the smile will be priceless.

https://cdn.nexternal.com/dandrsport/images/FlyingArrowToxicBroadhead-S.jpg

I can laugh about them - but other than the blades - they are all but essentially the same head as my ancient muzzy 3 blade chisel points
View Quote
If you think that's silly...

Link Posted: 11/28/2019 2:06:19 PM EDT
[#7]
In the past 5 years I've shot white tails with muzzy 3 blades, Rage Extreme 2 blades, Spitfires and G5 Montec.  
The only one I can say I really didn't like was the G5.  Ultimately I got the deer but the penetration seemed poor and the blades were totally trashed after their 1st use.
I've had really good experiences with the Rage Extreme 2 blades (the original yellow colored ones that don't seem to be made anymore) but most of mine have been trashed on their 1st use.
Started using Spitfires when they were recommended to me for a Texas pig hunt.  So far no complaints but I'm fairly committed as I bought a bunch when they were on sale.
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 8:11:49 PM EDT
[#8]
I am a big fan of Wasp Jak Hammers.
Link Posted: 3/30/2021 6:12:48 AM EDT
[#9]
I shot 125 Thunderheads for years, but now shoot the Montecs. Both are great heads. Nothing beats a cut on contact broadhead for reliability.
Link Posted: 3/30/2021 11:13:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DesignatedMarksman] [#10]
I've never taken a deer with a broadhead, but I have 110gr Magnus Stingers on my hunting arrows now.  They might be the only product I've ever seen that has really no negative reviews.  

I also have some 175gr Woodsman 3 blade heads that I haven't had a chance to shoot yet.  I need to grab some arrows with less spine to shoot those though.  Looking forward to this deer season.
Link Posted: 3/30/2021 11:17:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By mbpike:
Its time for the broad head debate.  What is the best head you have ever shot and what is the worst head you have ever shot.

I personally shoot Slick Trick Magnums.  They stay razor sharp, fly perfect, and are reasonably priced.  I have to say the worst head I've ever shot was a Rage.  Everything about them felt cheap.
View Quote

I totally misunderstood what this thread was about!  
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 10:22:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By DesignatedMarksman:
I've never taken a deer with a broadhead, but I have 110gr Magnus Stingers on my hunting arrows now.  They might be the only product I've ever seen that has really no negative reviews.  

I also have some 175gr Woodsman 3 blade heads that I haven't had a chance to shoot yet.  I need to grab some arrows with less spine to shoot those though.  Looking forward to this deer season.
View Quote

I’m pretty sure you’ll need an arrow with more spine to shoot a 175gr head.
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 8:32:03 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By NonTypical361:

I’m pretty sure you’ll need an arrow with more spine to shoot a 175gr head.
View Quote

Yup.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 9:30:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Brandi] [#14]
I've used Spitfire expandables, Muzzy 3 blade and Magnus Stinger Buzzcuts.  The Spitfire is the only one that failed me.  I'll never shoot Spitfires again.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 9:44:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Grim Reaper 100 grain whitetail special for compound, 125 Magnus two blade fixed for recurve.  25+ years bowhunting, I've used 'bout everything else.  This is where I've landed.
Link Posted: 12/8/2021 10:53:54 AM EDT
[#16]
Ram Cat
Link Posted: 12/8/2021 11:34:14 AM EDT
[#17]
Iron Will Wide 125's and won't be looking elsewhere. I have killed 4 deer with the same broadhead and took apart for minimal sharpening twice.

Attachment Attached File

I used NAP Spitfire Edge for years with great success, but all it took was one shot with very poor penetration on a good buck to end that.
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 2:00:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Magnus Stinger, no bleeder. American made, good quality, and you can buy 3 broadheads and replacement blades for under $60.

I’m a whitetail hunter myself. If I were to hunt elk I’d shoot a high quality single bevel.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Broad head debate. (Page 2 of 2)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top