Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/13/2021 4:13:39 PM EDT
Probably seems stupid but I have recently gotten back into archery after several years and few back surgeries.  I'm shooting a 45# Martin Sabre TD which, if I'm honest, is probably 5# too heavy for me right now but it's what I have and I can't afford to buy a new set of 40# limbs.  I can comfortably shoot 50-60 arrows in session so that'll improve with more practice.

My problem is stringing the bow.  I use the bow stringer but with my low back problems it's extremely painful to string and unstring the bow each time I shoot.  A couple times it's been bad enough that just stringing the bow created enough pain I couldn't even shoot it.  

I'm wondering if there's such thing as an inexpensive bow press that I can use to string and unstring my recurve?  I'd even try building my own if someone has a DIY design.   Any advice is appreciated!
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 4:26:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 7:29:18 PM EDT
[#2]
As I said in the OP, I use a bow stringer now but it's just too hard on my back pulling the bow up.

Your link did give me some ideas on a DIY version.  Thank you very much! It may end up being easier than I thought if I go the DIY route.
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 7:43:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bluemax_1] [#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Brandi:
As I said in the OP, I use a bow stringer now but it's just too hard on my back pulling the bow up.

Your link did give me some ideas on a DIY version.  Thank you very much! It may end up being easier than I thought if I go the DIY route.
View Quote

Mount a hook/bolt/eyelet to a rafter so instead of stepping on the stringer and pulling the bow up, you hook the stringer and pull the bow down?

No bending, and you're using the same muscles (back/latissimus and biceps) to pull.
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 7:44:04 PM EDT
[#4]
I hunt and shoot recurves and longbows daily. Just leave it strung
Link Posted: 10/15/2021 4:23:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By TradWoodsman:
View Quote
My understanding is the adage to unstring after shooting is from the days before modern materials, much like "clean a rifle EVERY TIME you shoot it!!!!" is from the days of non-stainless steel, corrosive primers, etc.
Link Posted: 10/17/2021 5:28:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By bluemax_1:

Mount a hook/bolt/eyelet to a rafter so instead of stepping on the stringer and pulling the bow up, you hook the stringer and pull the bow down?

No bending, and you're using the same muscles (back/latissimus and biceps) to pull.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By bluemax_1:
Originally Posted By Brandi:

Hmm...thats a possible I hadn't thought of.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/17/2021 5:33:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By TradWoodsman:
View Quote

I've heard people say it's safe with modern recurves and people say it'll still cause problems.  I have no idea.  I've always unstrung my bows so that's just what I'm used to.  

You leave yours strung all the time with no problems?
Link Posted: 10/18/2021 4:26:30 PM EDT
[#8]
So I've listened to what you guys said, did some more research on the subject (most agree it won't damage modern limbs) and I'm going to leave it strung during the times of year when I'll be shooting it the most and unstringing it the rest of the time.  I don't shoot a lot when it's mid-summer and super hot outside so this seems like the best route to go.  

I'll probably still build some kind of press for use when I do shoot only occasionally.  

Y'alls "leave it strung" solution is kind of a best case scenario, so thanks!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top