Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/26/2022 2:23:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bnoji]
My son is 6 but small. He wants a bow. He was shooting a Genesis Mini over the weekend but it was setup a little too heavy for him. I read it can be adjusted between 6-12lbs and he really wants the same one he shot over the weekend so I was going to pick one up today.

Question 1 is: Is there a better bow in that size/weight range? Maybe something that has a little wider adjustment range so we can adjust as he grows?

Question 2 is: What arrows? If you buy it as a kit the Gensis Mini comes with Easton XX75 arrows but doesn't say what length or spine. I tried to lookup on a sizing chart but only found down to 15-20lb / 23" length and 800 spine. For a 10-15lb recurve it recommended 23" / 1000 spine.

ETA: He's not left handed. My phone camera broke and using the "selfie" camera flips the image.

After doing a little more looking I found the Diamond Atomic that adjusts from 6-29lbs and 12-24" length. Seems like this would leave more room to grow at the expense of needing to set the draw length (the Genesis doesn't have any let off so there's no need to set draw length) and it's about twice the price.

This is him with the Mini for size reference.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 4:40:59 PM EDT
[#1]
I ended up ordering the Diamond Atomic. I'm setting it up now and I'm wondering... for a kid, should set it to a particular draw length or set it up with "infinite" draw length and no let off? As a kid I learned on a recurve so this wasn't really an option.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top