Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/12/2020 11:32:34 PM EDT
Been close to 20 years since I regularly shot and hunted with a compound bow. I was in high school still. Bought my wife a Diamond Edge 320 in the kryptek pattern with the basic RAK package last month. She has expressed interest for about a year that she wanted to get a bow, so we finally did it. She has been shooting 30-40 arrows every other night and displaying a promising foundation. I have an old family friend that works out at the bowtech pro shop. I know bowtech’s aren’t necessarily the best bows, but they seem a decent value and I know enough guys that work out there I know they’ll always take care of us.

I dug out my old PSE Carroll Dominator and it’s so out dated I don’t even want to spend the money to buy new arrows, let alone replace the string. I decided it’s time to upgrade. Probably going to get a Bowtech Convergent with the basic package for an extra $75 that includes some basic FO sights(big improvement from my old bow), stabilizer, wrist strap, quiver and arrow rest.

So here’s the question. Funds are limited, I won’t be hunting this season with it, but probably next season. Should I spring for an improved arrow rest first or a better sight set up with slider? Seems a drop away arrow rest offers a lot more consistency and maybe a little speed.

My brother of course thinks I should buy a bare bow and add the accessories I want, but just getting back into it, there seems to be to much to learn to make good decisions right away. Arrow rests and spendy, but so is a Spot Hogg at $275.
Link Posted: 8/13/2020 4:56:19 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't have any experience with the Convergent but it seems like a decent bow at that price point. Personally, I wouldn't be afraid to check out used stuff on ebay. You can get a pretty good fully loaded used Hoyt, Mathews, PSE, Bowtech, ect. from the last few years for a similar price to what your paying for the Convergent.

As to what to upgrade first on the Convergent, I'd say the rest. I think a good drop away helps a lot with consistency of the arrow flight. When you get to hunting next year you can spring for a decent sight.
Link Posted: 8/24/2020 3:33:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Bought a Revolt X, added a Hamskea Hunter Hybrid rest, a Spott Hogg Fast Eddie and a Predator stabilizer. Just need to add a quiver
Link Posted: 8/24/2020 10:28:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By WantsAnRRA:
Bought a Revolt X, added a Hamskea Hunter Hybrid rest, a Spott Hogg Fast Eddie and a Predator stabilizer. Just need to add a quiver
View Quote

Sounds like a pretty sweet setup and something that’ll be good to go for a lot of years. I have the same rest and a Spot Hogg Fast Eddie XL on my bow and couldn’t be happier. Check out Tight Spot quivers, a little pricy but are rock solid and have lots of options.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top