Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/16/2019 2:18:20 AM EDT
I'm  ready to get a crossbow for white tail hunting. I don't know much about them though. What recommendations do you have for a good crossbow for under$1000?
Link Posted: 12/16/2019 5:58:00 AM EDT
[#1]
I use an excalibur micro 335, recurve crossbows are simple, no cables, cams or pulleys to break or go out of tune.  And they are lightweight, narrow and well balanced and you can decock without shooting an arrow.  You can change the string yourself if u need too.

I bought my crossbow online from Walnut Creek Archery and assembled it myself, no need for a bow shop. If you're hunting deer, you don't need 500 feet per second, anything over 300 is just fine. I'm shot deer out to 55 yards and achieved pass through.

The complete package was around $750.
Link Posted: 12/19/2019 3:18:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jtb1967] [#2]
I don't think there is a "best", only our favorites.  The Excalibur recurves bows are good ones.  They're simple to use and maintain, but normally louder and wider than compound crossbows.  They may or may not be a disadvantage to you.   Horton and Wicked Ridge are both owned by Tenpoint and some very good bows at less than Tenpoint prices.  These are just a few that I have experience with.
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 9:22:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/3/2020 2:39:19 PM EDT
[#4]
I picked up one of these. Fast, accurate, well balanced.
Wicked Ridge RDX400
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top