Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/20/2019 5:35:01 AM EDT
Thinking of getting back into archery after a twenty year break.

The new bows are amazingly small and light. I've been looking at them a good bit. Was looking at a Bear and the weight adjustment on it was insane by older compound bow standards. I think the max adjustment on my old Pearson Diamondbak was from 58-75 lbs.

Carbon arrows were first coming on the scene about the time I got out of it. I'd previously been an aluminum arrow shooter only.  Loved the Easton XX75's.

Those were actually rated in spine deflection, like the even older wood arrows were. I noticed that the carbon arrows have a different rating system and I could not make heads or tails of it. What I'd like to know is two things:

1-If I were considering setting a newer bow to about 60 lbs peak draw weight, with a draw length of about 28"s if I use a release aid, what number rating of carbon arrow would I need?

2- Like I mentioned before...carbons were beginning to pop up back then, but I never chose to use them because frankly, the lighter carbons were for milking speed out of increasingly faster compound designs. I was always a fan of heavier arrows. Heavier payloads (arrows) drain more actual energy out of the launcher (bow). In hunting, this is an advantage...the drained energy also quiets the bow. Trajectory is not as flat with heavy arrows, but if you get a heavy arrow moving and on target, it will penetrate better. I recall my 70lb Pearson would often punch solid fiberglass arrow right through hard boney fish like carp and gars.  I'd like to know if Easton still makes aluminum arrows, OR, is there anyone who actually makes a heavier than normal carbon shaft?
Link Posted: 9/26/2019 11:11:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Each manufacturer has their own rating for spine. Easton, for example, has charts for each arrow compared with arrow length and spine number. Generally, a lower number (200, 250), is stiffer for higher poundage/longer shaft. For your draw length and poundage, you're going to have to try different arrows to see which works best for your set-up.

For my Diamond Deploy, I have tried Cabela's arrows, Gold Tip Team Primos arrows and Gold Tip Hunter XTs. They all group well when I do my part.
Link Posted: 9/27/2019 2:27:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the info.  I do recall that an arrow used in a longer draw bow could be used for increasingly heavier spines I'df the draw length shortened. I also know most compound bows built in the last 30 years are all set up for through the center of the handle arrow rests. I guess you could get away with much higher spines arrows.
Link Posted: 9/27/2019 8:37:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PKT1106] [#3]
You don't really want to try to "get away" with anything. With arrow manufacturing and modern compound bows, arrow selection is relatively simple. It all comes down to your purpose. Hunting? Maybe you don't need .002" straightness, like you do for competition target shooting. Giving away some straightness tolerance usually lowers the cost of the shaft pretty well. No need to try to stress much if the a chart shows arrow spine for your draw and poundage. Go with that spine, get your arrows cut and finished and get firing.
Link Posted: 10/27/2019 10:06:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Flysc:
Thinking of getting back into archery after a twenty year break.

The new bows are amazingly small and light. I've been looking at them a good bit. Was looking at a Bear and the weight adjustment on it was insane by older compound bow standards. I think the max adjustment on my old Pearson Diamondbak was from 58-75 lbs.

Carbon arrows were first coming on the scene about the time I got out of it. I'd previously been an aluminum arrow shooter only.  Loved the Easton XX75's.

Those were actually rated in spine deflection, like the even older wood arrows were. I noticed that the carbon arrows have a different rating system and I could not make heads or tails of it. What I'd like to know is two things:

1-If I were considering setting a newer bow to about 60 lbs peak draw weight, with a draw length of about 28"s if I use a release aid, what number rating of carbon arrow would I need?

2- Like I mentioned before...carbons were beginning to pop up back then, but I never chose to use them because frankly, the lighter carbons were for milking speed out of increasingly faster compound designs. I was always a fan of heavier arrows. Heavier payloads (arrows) drain more actual energy out of the launcher (bow). In hunting, this is an advantage...the drained energy also quiets the bow. Trajectory is not as flat with heavy arrows, but if you get a heavy arrow moving and on target, it will penetrate better. I recall my 70lb Pearson would often punch solid fiberglass arrow right through hard boney fish like carp and gars.  I'd like to know if Easton still makes aluminum arrows, OR, is there anyone who actually makes a heavier than normal carbon shaft?
View Quote
1. It will depend on the arrow and the bow.  Shoot me a message with your bow make/model (I assume 60# draw weight and 28" draw length), and I can help you find a good hunting arrow with the proper spine.
2a. Easton does still make aluminum arrows.  They also make aluminum/carbon composite arrows for hunting.
2b. Multiple companies make heavier arrows for penentration. They are also smaller diameter at the same time. I have some Black Eagle Rampage arrows that are smaller diameter, and at 65lbs draw weight and 27" draw length out of my Bowtech BT-X 28, I was getting plenty of speed with a 450gr arrow (more than enough to blow clean through a whitetail).  There are even heavier arrows available.  Let me know what end weight you are looking for, components you plan to use, broadhead weight (100gr or 125gr), and I can figure something out for you.
Link Posted: 1/21/2020 3:39:54 PM EDT
[#5]
keep in mind that draw length has less to do with it than arrow length. If you draw 28 and use a 30" arrow you can use a stiffer spine or a heavier tip than if you used an arrow that was barely long enough. My target arrows are left long because the next softer spine couldn't use the tips I wanted at a practical length. So I bought slightly stiffer than needed and cut them long, used the heavy points I wanted and it all balanced out.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 11:23:13 AM EDT
[#6]
dudley blackeagle and easton have great spine charts, im going to guess youll be ok with a 400spine arrow.

I shoot a 350 spine. 61# 29 5/8" draw  50gr brass insert, 125gr ironwill solid, nocturnal nock, 30" blackeagle carnivore arrows 6" wrap and 4 fletch max hunter vanes @2* offset.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top