Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/25/2018 7:52:58 PM EDT
So as the title implies. My question is: Is archery or rifle shooting more expensive?

For this example: both sides are using quality stuff with all the bells and whistles, only the gunners arn't reloading ammo.

I've heard rifle shooters say that guns are an expensive hobby. I've also heard archers describe archery as an expensive hobby.

So just in a general way, which would you say is more expensive? You can pick whatever examples you think are best illustrative of your case.
Link Posted: 7/25/2018 8:08:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Samal] [#1]
you can get a compound bow set up very nicely for $1200-1400, that including sight, release, rest, stabilizer, and works.  dozen of quality arrows - $120-150.  good target - $100.  if you shoot 50 arrows every day (that's a lot if you are not a competing athlete) these arrows will last 6 months before you will have to replace them, not because of wear but because of attrition - robin hooding, loosing them in the vegetation... if you shoot that much, you will need to restring once a year - $50 for very good set of strings and $50 for setup.  you might want to pay $200-300 a year for a bow tune, or you can do it yourself, you can glue your own vanes, and cut your own arrows, if you do it yourself, good bow press is about $150, vane jig is about $50.  you might need another target in a year...

That's about it if you are a recreational shooter

if you go into it as sport, sky is the limit
Link Posted: 7/25/2018 8:19:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Well, if you're not reloading your own match ammo... I'd definitely say the rifle shooters. Also take into account the reloading equipment. Even for a real nice decked out bow and nice arrows etc. etc. it seems like it wouldn't take long for the rifle shooter to go screaming past in annual costs. And if he's buying off the shelf factory "match" ammo... even quicker.
Link Posted: 7/25/2018 9:10:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah, I kind of figured the rifle shooters would be spending more.

I've always shot rifles. ARs, bolt actions, Bullpups, etc. They plus ammo, extraneous gear can be expensive.

I have recently stepped back from firearms and am moving more towards archery. I got my first bow this summer and have been training with a mentor and have been learning all the technical specifics.

The reason I am moving towards archery is not necessarily lower cost (which is but one of the reasons), but also less maintenance and greater simplicity. Rifles require that you use solvent to clean out all the carbon, etc. after each time you go shooting (especially ARs). There are also a whole host of parts that need inspected and replaced. You have to periodically check for rust on rifles that don't get shot as much.
I'm shooting a traditional recurve bow, so it's pretty simple. As far as I can tell, the string needs to be waxed periodically, the riser and limbs wiped down maybe. Arrow fletching does require some maintenance and such. But I feel like archery is a far less messy affair and much more simple. At least using a wooden takedown recurve like I am, and shooting instinctively. Also, less noise and legal issues depending on where you live. I can move wherever and shoot in my backyard with a bow. But it just seems much more convenient to me. And I got sick of cleaning rifles.
Link Posted: 9/16/2018 10:18:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: USSRangerSM] [#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Frostburg:
Yeah, I kind of figured the rifle shooters would be spending more.

I've always shot rifles. ARs, bolt actions, Bullpups, etc. They plus ammo, extraneous gear can be expensive.

I have recently stepped back from firearms and am moving more towards archery. I got my first bow this summer and have been training with a mentor and have been learning all the technical specifics.

The reason I am moving towards archery is not necessarily lower cost (which is but one of the reasons), but also less maintenance and greater simplicity. Rifles require that you use solvent to clean out all the carbon, etc. after each time you go shooting (especially ARs). There are also a whole host of parts that need inspected and replaced. You have to periodically check for rust on rifles that don't get shot as much.
I'm shooting a traditional recurve bow, so it's pretty simple. As far as I can tell, the string needs to be waxed periodically, the riser and limbs wiped down maybe. Arrow fletching does require some maintenance and such. But I feel like archery is a far less messy affair and much more simple. At least using a wooden takedown recurve like I am, and shooting instinctively. Also, less noise and legal issues depending on where you live. I can move wherever and shoot in my backyard with a bow. But it just seems much more convenient to me. And I got sick of cleaning rifles.
View Quote
Coming from a guy that shoots a lot of rifles and goes through a lot of ammo ( reloading and bought), there is no doubt that I spend more on firearms and ammo then bows equipment.
With that said, I shoot my rifle  a lot more than my bow. On my bow my arrows cost $30+( lighted Nock, Arrow, Broadhead) and of course I've lost a few of those... And that gets expensive as well.
But at the end of the day, if I only had one choice...And I could either gun hunt or bow hunt, bow hunting would win hands down!
Link Posted: 9/17/2018 8:34:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Interesting I find I shoot archery more than firearms
Link Posted: 10/10/2018 8:05:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Samal:
you can get a compound bow set up very nicely for $1200-1400, that including sight, release, rest, stabilizer, and works.  dozen of quality arrows - $120-150.  good target - $100.  if you shoot 50 arrows every day (that's a lot if you are not a competing athlete) these arrows will last 6 months before you will have to replace them, not because of wear but because of attrition - robin hooding, loosing them in the vegetation... if you shoot that much, you will need to restring once a year - $50 for very good set of strings and $50 for setup.  you might want to pay $200-300 a year for a bow tune, or you can do it yourself, you can glue your own vanes, and cut your own arrows, if you do it yourself, good bow press is about $150, vane jig is about $50.  you might need another target in a year...

That's about it if you are a recreational shooter

if you go into it as sport, sky is the limit
View Quote
Your over-stating the cost. For a novice archer that is wanting to get into the sport you can pick up a complete compound bow for like $350.00 from Cabelas or Bass Pro. You can get 6 arrows $25.00, a lower end release for 25.00, maybe another 30-50 for a cheaper target.

You've got a years worth of archery for under $500.00.

Obviously if they enjoy it that expense is going to magnify greatly because they are going to start buying higher end gear and upgrade their bow...  I'll never forget when my Dad got into bow hunting he bought a cheap bear and cheap aluminum arrows. All his buddies made fun.  Then he starts consistently dropping 3-4 deer every archery season with this super cheap rig. Kind of shut them up.
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 9:11:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: shotar] [#7]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top