Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/17/2022 12:18:59 AM EDT
Well I didn't get an elk this year.  First time in a long time bowhunting, and first time ever in MT.  Had a ton of fun though.

Last three days I hunted were interesting.  First day:  lots of action.  Saw a lot of elk, and got a few interactions with bugles.  Just no shot opportunities.  Second day: Way fewer elk, and a lot less vocal.  One item of note...I was moving slowly through the timber this one time.  Cow calling fairly frequently.  I called one last time and then started to move again when I noticed a canine trotting away from me through the trees.  Wolf or coyote??  I couldn't be sure.  Third day: saw no elk in the area.  Hardly any bugling at all.  I fired off this bugle hoping to get a response.  But the response I got was not the one I was expecting.  Instead about a minute after I bugled, I saw a bunch of canines.  I'm 90% sure they were wolves.  And I think the big one was the same dog I saw the day before.  Big and light grey.  Didn't get a shot off since they weren't close enough.

I've only hunted CO for elk before this.  I NEVER called in coyotes to any of my elk calls there.  That's just another reason I'm thinking these were wolves.  

Anyone else call in wolves or coyotes while bowhunting?
Link Posted: 10/17/2022 8:36:22 AM EDT
[#1]
I was deer hunting in northern New Mexico last month.  A big bull elk was bugling on a hill side about 6-700 yards away.  Watched two coyotes come out of the tree line,  sit down, and just watch the elk for about 15 mins or so before moving along.

I've never called any coyotes in with an elk call, just mentioning the story above becuase it seems these animals can be interested.
Link Posted: 10/19/2022 7:07:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Sounds like wolves to me. Coyotes might be curious about noises and activity in their areas but I've never had one come in to normal deer calls. Distress calls are a different story.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top