Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Archery » Bows
Posted: 9/25/2017 9:31:20 AM EDT
Looking to get into archery and hunting. Need my first bow
I'm 6'6" so looking for something with a 31" draw length. Budget is under 400, but the cheaper the better to get started without sacrificing performance

For new bows I've been looking at Bear Wild and Diamond Infinite Pro. 

A local guy on Craigslist has a used Bear Legion with a Plano hard case for $200. Said he wasn't looking to upgrade but got a great deal on a new bow. 

I'm torn on if a certain model really means much or if fit is more important. I think the latter. Also wondering if a used older now is with considering or does new technology come out regularly that makes new bows much better?

Thanks for any help
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 9:41:47 AM EDT
[#1]
A bow from 2000; yeah the technology has definitely been upgraded; a 2-3 year old bow, not a big deal. I'm a bit hesitant to recommend a new shooter jumping into the used market; if you go that route I'd try and find someone experienced to help you out. Bows are pretty subjective; I'd try and shoot as many as you can.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 9:47:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A bow from 2000; yeah the technology has definitely been upgraded; a 2-3 year old bow, not a big deal. I'm a bit hesitant to recommend a new shooter jumping into the used market; if you go that route I'd try and find someone experienced to help you out. Bows are pretty subjective; I'd try and shoot as many as you can.
View Quote
The guy with the Legion said he bought it new 4 years ago
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 5:44:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Version - 2013 / Brace height - 7" / ATA length - 30.5" / Draw length - 26"-31" / Draw weight - 40-70 lbs / IBO speed - 318 fps / Mass weight - 4.0 lbs / Let-off - 80%

Above are the specs for that Bear Legion. It appears to be a pretty decent bow by the numbers. The only thing I noticed right off is the short ATA. One thing to keep in mind when looking at a bow is that the longer the ATA length is the more stable it will be when at full draw. The downside is that it will be an overall larger bow and could be cumbersome when trekking in the woods or being in a stand. The second is brace height. The longer the brace height is the more "forgiving" the bow is. This can be a good attribute for a new shooter who doesn't have their form perfected yet. The down side is that the larger the brace height gets, the slower the IBO speeds get. IMO its a balancing act. You want to find a middle ground until you find what you like in a bow. Getting back to that Legion the ATA is short so it'll be a little harder to stabilize when aiming but the 7" brace height is decent so it'll be a little forgiving. I usually look for an ATA in the 32"-34" range and a brace no less than 7" and an IBO speed of 300+ fps. Im 6"3 and also shoot a 31" draw. Im on my third bow in 3 years (all used off ebay) which is where I draw this information from. There are a lot of good bows out there. You have to keep in mind that used bows usually require new strings and cables. Its not very common for a bow to be preset to 31" also so keep in mind what is required to adjust the draw length and if parts are still available. I always examine the pictures carefully and pay attention to bolt and clips to see if they show signs of rust and the overall wear of the finish on the bow. It helps you get an idea of how well the bow was taken care of/how heavily used it was. If you want a cheap bow to get started with Parker's can be had for under $200 and are largely good bows. Bear has some very affordable bows too. The Attack and Attitude are usually common on the used market and go for fairly reasonable prices. Below are a few link that will help you out with specs on bows you look at.

http://compoundbowchoice.com/brands/

Parker Bow Specs
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 6:01:40 PM EDT
[#4]
I guess I should've started with this.. What do you intend to do with your bow? You'd want very different specs depending on what your intentions are.
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 10:01:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I guess I should've started with this.. What do you intend to do with your bow? You'd want very different specs depending on what your intentions are.
View Quote
Hunting.  Obviously along with that comes shooting for practice, but this will not be a target or competition bow.

I appreciate your information.  I've passed on the Legion and have opted to look around for something that will work for me better rather than just spending money on a good deal.  I plan on going to a pro shop this weekend to see what they have to say.
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 11:55:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Shoot anything they'll let you It'll be a good way to get a feel for the different bow designs. Also ask if they sell or consign used equipment.
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 11:59:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Im a big fan of pse bows
Link Posted: 9/30/2017 7:22:33 PM EDT
[#8]
For those following along I ended up getting a Bear Wild today. 

Went to a pro shop and they recommended me start at 30 draw length. Seemed short but it worked. Ended up adjusting to 30.5 and kept it there. 62 pound draw weight but can adjust up to 70

I shot a 6 round group at 15 yards about the size of a baseball. I was pretty proud of that. Bear felt really good and I'm excited to practice and hunt with it
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 6:54:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Nice have fun with it and good luck.
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 12:26:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Congrats and enjoy!
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 12:38:46 AM EDT
[#11]
You will enjoy that Bear, lets see a pic. What arrows did you go with?
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 8:21:44 PM EDT
[#12]
These are probably the 50th arrows I've ever shot. 15 yards in my backyard. 

Got some CE Mayhem DS as a hunting arrow. It's what the guy at the store sold me and I was ready to go. Unsure how good they are. 

Got some CE Terminator Hunter 6075 as practice arrows from academy. Those were much better priced

Link Posted: 10/2/2017 11:23:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Nice stop starting at your pin. It's the opposite of rifle shooting. So stare at the target and blurr the pin. It's odd at first but it will help bring you shots closer. Arrow wise for hunting elk I run Easton FMJ 340's  deer FMJ 400 then I use Gold Tip hunters 400 for target practice.
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 7:11:44 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Nice stop starting at your pin. It's the opposite of rifle shooting. So stare at the target and blurr the pin. It's odd at first but it will help bring you shots closer. Arrow wise for hunting elk I run Easton FMJ 340's  deer FMJ 400 then I use Gold Tip hunters 400 for target practice.
View Quote
Thanks for the tip!
Welcome to the site 
Page Archery » Bows
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top