Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Archery » Bows
Site Notices
Posted: 4/15/2020 3:13:24 PM EDT
Thought I'd try to get into to a little traditional archery while the lockdown is on as we're lucky enough to have a big back garden but I've run into an early problem of sorts. Measured my draw length and turns out I've got ape arms, with a 31" draw.
Any suggestions as to which traditional bow to go for? Had started looking at Bodniks but now I've no idea.
Cheers in advance!
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 3:38:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Hard to go wrong with a Martin Stick. I have ape arms too.

Keep the draw weight sane. You'll hate a heavy draw unless you're ripped. Mine's a 55 and it's everything I'd ever need. I tried a 65 and an 80. Putting arrows through your back stop is a neat trick exactly once.

My Stick predates the Martin branding, but the club I used to shoot with saw lots of Martins and they seem just fine to me.  Really any trad bow made by a reputable company (as opposed to Chinese slave labor or some shade tree boyer) is going to be fine to start out. Some bows are definitely smoother than others, but it's not so much who made it as what individual tree went into the bow. Get arrows cut and weighted to the bow, too. I labored for many years with arrows to short and light. My local archery store really took care of me there and the new arrows, despite being a ton of money, actually worked as advertised and my groups went from minute of haybale to minute of postcard.
Page Archery » Bows
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top