Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/16/2020 7:25:27 PM EDT
Come with a few spare roll pins?  Built my first pistol today (2nd lower solo, 3rd lower total) and managed to launch several and not find 'em.  Fortunately Ace Hardware fixed me up at 4/$1 but it makes me wonder... on a $40+ parts kit, are margins so tight that an extra couple of dollars worth of roll pins, detents, and springs would break the bank? Or do they not think that we'd pay the extra $5?

I'm set for the next 2 (and last 2 I can really justify) lower builds between Ace and some stuff from Aimsurplus but it does make me wonder....

Link Posted: 5/16/2020 7:32:52 PM EDT
[#1]
CMMG once sold these missing pin packs. I bought a few and they saved me over the years, especially the take down pins always seem to go flying or whenever I take off a stock and bend them.
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 7:50:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Get a set of starter punches and you’ll never lose another roll pin.

Link Posted: 5/16/2020 7:56:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Well, you can stop being so cheap and pick up a few carpet kits to have on hand. Cheap enough. Then when you launch something or break something the parts will be there and you not having them won't be someone else's fault.
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 8:04:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Check out foward control design they have spring and detent sets , so you can get some extras just in case.
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 8:11:57 PM EDT
[#5]
As said, I'm covered now on roll pins and springs.  Will order a few detents next time I order something (not worth the shipping otherwise).

Just wondering why it isn't more common?  Most of the computer kits I've put together come with a few extra screws and stand offs...

Link Posted: 5/16/2020 8:12:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Place a big order for like 20+ of each pin that might go missing and you’ll be set for a long time.
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 8:17:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Come with a few spare roll pins?  Built my first pistol today (2nd lower solo, 3rd lower total) and managed to launch several and not find 'em.  Fortunately Ace Hardware fixed me up at 4/$1 but it makes me wonder... on a $40+ parts kit, are margins so tight that an extra couple of dollars worth of roll pins, detents, and springs would break the bank? Or do they not think that we'd pay the extra $5?

I'm set for the next 2 (and last 2 I can really justify) lower builds between Ace and some stuff from Aimsurplus but it does make me wonder....

View Quote

In order to teach you to be careful.
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 8:38:48 PM EDT
[#8]
because it would confuse about 90% of the people when they have some unused parts and wonder where they messed up at
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 8:39:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By tct1000:
because it would confuse about 90% of the people when they have some unused parts and wonder where they messed up at
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 8:42:28 PM EDT
[#10]
I just put together a PSA kit a few days ago & it actually did have an extra spring & detent for the take down & pivot pins.  I've had others that do similar.  I've also bought a few "woops" kits & the like, especially when they are on sale.  A few years back I went to the hardware store & bought a boatload of the roll pins in the sizes the AR uses.  I've got enough back ups in most everything in the LPK's & UPK's that I can lose a few things from several builds before I start worrying.
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 8:53:50 PM EDT
[#11]
I've has some parts kits over the years that include extras (Delibertly or by mistake). As others have indicated, get some extras when you place an order with Brownells or the like. I prefer to order the indivdual parts, rather then the entire kits because it give me better control of what spare parts I have lying around.

This might be a good opportunit for you to invest in spares of other maintenance items (Firing pins, extractors, other springs, etc. I bring this up because this is something I have started to focus on recently as I have a good number of ARs but not all of the necessary maintenance parts.
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 9:16:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By codename:
I've has some parts kits over the years that include extras (Delibertly or by mistake). As others have indicated, get some extras when you place an order with Brownells or the like. I prefer to order the indivdual parts, rather then the entire kits because it give me better control of what spare parts I have lying around.

This might be a good opportunit for you to invest in spares of other maintenance items (Firing pins, extractors, other springs, etc. I bring this up because this is something I have started to focus on recently as I have a good number of ARs but not all of the necessary maintenance parts.
View Quote

Relatively shallow in my dive into the AR world but right now, my "spare" is a second and third complete rifle.  Have kinda gathered some actual spare along the way of various things due to replacing parts or being prepared to replace a part if needed. Trying very hard to not turn a spare mag release button into a spare lower....or complete unit...
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 9:30:03 PM EDT
[#13]
On Black Friday, I always order a spare LPK minus trigger or an oops kit. Always handy to have spare stuff.

Starter punches are nice to have. Over time, you just add to your tools, parts and bench organization. It is not a cheap hobby, but a day behind the trigger is better than a day behind a desk.

Just wait for sales and deals as they popup.
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 6:54:59 AM EDT
[#14]
I just placed an order with Damage Industries for a bunch of spare parts. I wait for them to have a sale on them with free or reduced shipping. They had $2.00 shipping on this last order, and they are a great place to get the little stuff you need.
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 7:11:42 AM EDT
[#15]
Nice click bait title
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 8:37:29 PM EDT
[#16]
I’ve never launched a detent, spring, or pin.
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 9:10:16 PM EDT
[#17]
A couple years ago I picked up a pack each of extra roll pins, detents, springs etc just because of this.  At this point it is easy to build a lower with what I have on hand and the few parts I buy that I would replace anyway on a build.  I use aftermarket selectors, bolt catches, and grips anyway so traditional LPKs really don't make sense for me.
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 9:44:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By AnimalMother556:
I’ve never launched a detent, spring, or pin.
View Quote

Then you're going better than I am.  

ETA: I've been looking at a Spike's LPK that I've had for a while, and I think it does have a couple of extras.

I would also say, the confusion many of you are mentioning could be taken care of by simply adding some fucking instructions to your LPK.  
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 9:56:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Stock up on small parts when damage industries has free shipping.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 8:35:24 AM EDT
[#20]
because it would confuse about 90% of the people when they have some unused parts and wonder where they messed up at
View Quote

This. LPKs are generally geared towards building a new rifle, not repairing existing ones. Repair kits should have those sets of parts. Admittedly, there’s no standard for it so each pack is like a unique snowflake.

However, a good practice is to learn from your mistakes and every time you lose a part, buy 6 spares. The cursing seems to be part of the hobby, IMO
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 7:56:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By leftytheking:

This. LPKs are generally geared towards building a new rifle, not repairing existing ones. Repair kits should have those sets of parts. Admittedly, there’s no standard for it so each pack is like a unique snowflake.

However, a good practice is to learn from your mistakes and every time you lose a part, buy 6 spares. The cursing seems to be part of the hobby, IMO 
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By leftytheking:

This. LPKs are generally geared towards building a new rifle, not repairing existing ones. Repair kits should have those sets of parts. Admittedly, there’s no standard for it so each pack is like a unique snowflake.

However, a good practice is to learn from your mistakes and every time you lose a part, buy 6 spares. The cursing seems to be part of the hobby, IMO 

Agree. Folks would get confused. Just buy an extra LPK or two and keep 'em together and handy.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 9:36:33 PM EDT
[#22]
I’ve always gotten a spare detent with the SOLGW LPK’s that I’ve bought. I had a LPK from a different manufacturer come with a spring missing. I couldn’t find one anywhere locally, and I am extremely impatient if I’ve already planned to complete something and then run into an issue like a missing part. Now I have 30 detents, about as many springs, and several extra of each roll pin, in addition to other parts. Wait until you launch a dust cover C clip. I’ve found launched detents and springs. There is no finding one of those C clips if you launch one.

I’ve gotten pretty good with the detents now though. An Allen key wrench is the secret.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 11:58:30 PM EDT
[#23]
I got a bunch of spare parts from WOA.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 1:46:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Woops kit on steroids.

Bench Essentials Kit

Link Posted: 5/19/2020 2:09:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Lego sets usually come with extra small pieces. Wish LPKs did the same.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 5:01:26 PM EDT
[#26]
Takedown pin/spring cure: run a 4-40 NC tap into the takedown pin hole at the rear of the receiver, then install a set screw to capture the spring & pin (the spring will need to be shortened slightly).

Pivot pin/spring cure: acquire a pivot pin detent install tool for the front. Brownell's and Wheeler make them.

Roll pin starters and punches are worth their weight in gold, too.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 10:20:52 PM EDT
[#27]
View Quote

Ridiculous as any lower parts maker could simply make a card like CMMG which shows parts and place the extras in a separate bag and label it as such or show it on the card.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 11:03:12 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By GSMullins:
Takedown pin/spring cure: run a 4-40 NC tap into the takedown pin hole at the rear of the receiver, then install a set screw to capture the spring & pin (the spring will need to be shortened slightly). 

Pivot pin/spring cure: acquire a pivot pin detent install tool for the front. Brownell's and Wheeler make them.

Roll pin starters and punches are worth their weight in gold, too.
View Quote

That takedown mod is the dumbest thing ever.  It takes more time and is more difficult than just leaving it alone.  Never understood it.

For the pivot pin tool, you can run to the hardware store and grab a 1/4” clevis pin.  Works the same.  I did have to chuck one in a drill and turn it down with some sandpaper once.  Much cheaper than buying the tool which is effectively the same thing.
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 1:32:44 PM EDT
[#29]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top