Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/3/2020 7:27:56 PM EDT
While looking at parts I see some items referred to as carbine or mid length etc... What is the difference???  I am going to try building my first AR and was planning a 16" Barrell. I am not sure about what I need be aware of before ordering the buffer set up.

I will spend much more time researching on this site before going further. I ask this because I haven't clarified this in my mind through my reading so far. Thanks for any help....
Link Posted: 1/3/2020 7:33:32 PM EDT
[#1]
It’s referring to the gas system. There’s carbine, mid-length, and rifle going from shortest to longest. You need to know what length your barrel’s gas port is drilled to determine what you need. The longer the gas system the softer the rifle shoots and the longer the dwell time I believe. Someone correct me if I’m wrong.
Link Posted: 1/3/2020 7:40:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Gas system length is what they're referring to.  Carbine length gas on a 16" barrel can be snappy, consider an H2 Buffer.  I'd recommend going midlength on the gas for a 16" barrel.  Remember to have enough handguard to cover the gas tube length and protect the gas block, especially if you get one of those screw on low profile gas blocks for $14.
Link Posted: 1/3/2020 7:41:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/3/2020 9:31:29 PM EDT
[#4]
I'd just go mid-length with a standard buffer and spring, and a carbine buffer tube.  Overall not going to be a huge difference vs the carbine length, but I like the appearance of a longer handguard a little better.  If going with a free float handguard, it's moot, although the mid is smoother to shoot.

As other have already stated, it's just the length of the gas system.  The other side to this, though, is that some people think that the carbine gas system will cycle more reliably when things get really dirty.  I guess I never got dirty enough to notice...
Link Posted: 1/3/2020 9:54:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It’s referring to the gas system. There’s carbine, mid-length, and rifle going from shortest to longest. You need to know what length your barrel’s gas port is drilled to determine what you need. The longer the gas system the softer the rifle shoots and the longer the dwell time I believe. Someone correct me if I’m wrong.
View Quote
Dwell time has to do with the distance from the gas port to muzzle. On a 16 barrel a carbine has longer dwell time than a mid length.
Link Posted: 1/4/2020 3:14:20 AM EDT
[#6]
The posts above are all correct. just to add my 2 cents I would suggest the mid length gas for the softer recoil and cycling of the rifle. The mid length causes less wear and tear on a rife and it’s assorted parts then a carbine system, the wear and tear difference between the two isn’t astronomical by any means but it’s there.
Link Posted: 1/4/2020 9:59:47 AM EDT
[#7]
It also gets confusing, because you also have carbine and rifle buffer assemblies. They are totally independent of the gas system.
Link Posted: 1/4/2020 11:52:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Thank you all for sharing this info. It's just what  I needed. I understand this much better now. The photos are very helpful (worth many words).
Link Posted: 1/4/2020 11:58:48 AM EDT
[#9]
By the way I'll just put out here, after reading these post I feel myself leaning towards an 18" barrel with mid length gas system and carbine buffer.
Link Posted: 1/4/2020 12:19:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
By the way I'll just put out here, after reading these post I feel myself leaning towards an 18" barrel with mid length gas system and carbine buffer.
View Quote
Changing the gas system length to barrel length proportions makes many changes to the functional cycle of an AR15 based firearm. In general, you will have higher reliability, greater parts longevity, and a more pleasant shooting experience by using more optimized gas system/barrel length combinations.

If you are looking for an 18" barrel, I would suggest an Intermediate gas system length, or a rifle length as an alternative instead of midlength.

The second photo above is incorrect - a "dissipator" is a carbine gas system hidden underneath rifle length handguards and with a front sight base at the rifle position. What that photo calls a dissipator is just a 16" barrel with a rifle length gas system.
Link Posted: 1/4/2020 10:48:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Longest gas system you can run with chosen barrel length.

Less recoil. Less wear and tear.
Link Posted: 1/4/2020 11:02:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
If going with an 18" barrel, I'd go rifle length gas.
Link Posted: 1/9/2020 8:05:16 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:The second photo above is incorrect - a "dissipator" is a carbine gas system hidden underneath rifle length handguards and with a front sight base at the rifle position. What that photo calls a dissipator is just a 16" barrel with a rifle length gas system.
View Quote
Errrr, not quite that simple....

The Colt Model 605 was the original "Dissipator" developed around 1963-64:

The Model 605 was the first "carbine" version of the AR-15, it had a 15" barrel with the standard rifle gas system, similar to the photo.  However, these were not as compact as the later CAR-15 and faded.

The idea of a carbine gas system under the handguards with a standard front sight is a new development to increase the reliability, and since it looks like the 1965 "Dissipator" it has been called such.  (Some, more correctly refer to this arrangement as a "faux-Dissipator"

So, what is pictured is a "Dissipator" in the form of the original, and what you refer to is a "Dissipator" in the modern sense.

Link Posted: 1/9/2020 11:07:41 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Errrr, not quite that simple....

The Colt Model 605 was the original "Dissipator" developed around 1963-64:
https://bpullignwolnet.dotster.com/retroblackrifle/sitebuilder/images/605-22-713x401.jpg

The Model 605 was the first "carbine" version of the AR-15, it had a 15" barrel with the standard rifle gas system, similar to the photo.  However, these were not as compact as the later CAR-15 and faded.

The idea of a carbine gas system under the handguards with a standard front sight is a new development to increase the reliability, and since it looks like the 1965 "Dissipator" it has been called such.  (Some, more correctly refer to this arrangement as a "faux-Dissipator"

So, what is pictured is a "Dissipator" in the form of the original, and what you refer to is a "Dissipator" in the modern sense.

View Quote
Just because Colt made a ~16" rifle length in the 1960's doesn't make it a "dissipator". No one ever called it that or anything other than what it was.

Dissipator was invented and marketed by Bushmaster in the 90s (80s?). There is nothing "faux" about it, it is what it is. Believe they trademarked the name even at the time. It's simply incorrect to call a 16" rifle length a "dissipator". The whole point of the "dissipator" was to NOT be a 16" rifle length.

Attachment Attached File
Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top