Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/19/2020 9:04:00 PM EDT
"Hey Dad whatcha doin'?"

"Tapping that darn take down pin detent hole so I can use the set screw mod and play with how tight the spring is"

"Cool.... so how does that work"

"Well, its really sharp adn good at cutting, but the metal it is made of is very brittle and prone to snapping.  That's why I'm going slow and doing it by hand pretty much - if it snaps off, it'll cost me more to fix than a new lower will... "

"How often does that happen?"

"Well, as I said they are very fragile, so as long as I don't put any side to side stress it should be OK ..."

*SNAP*

So now either I get to experiment with alternate methods of a rear take down pin (binder pin? nut-n-bolt?) or I have a junk lower to experiment with....

Link Posted: 5/19/2020 9:12:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Tap removal tool... someone will be along shortly than can help.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 9:20:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Take two straight O-ring picks and insert them into the grooves opposite of each other (assuming it was a 4 flute tap).
Grab both O-ring picks with pliers or small vice grips and gently turn. I have tried this once and it worked to remove a very small broken tap.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 9:35:22 PM EDT
[#3]
stuff your spring and detent in from the pin hole side. You have a permanent set screw now.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 9:41:23 PM EDT
[#4]
OP, you are getting spanked by lowers this week.  
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 10:03:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Tigwelder1971:
OP, you are getting spanked by lowers this week.  
View Quote

Yup.  Just not my week.  Glad I don't own power tools.

Good news is I'm learning, and it is only money.  Should be able to rig a solution to my current fix...
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 10:41:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By eye-gor:

Yup.  Just not my week.  Glad I don't own power tools. 

Good news is I'm learning, and it is only money.  Should be able to rig a solution to my current fix...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By eye-gor:
OP, you are getting spanked by lowers this week.  

Yup.  Just not my week.  Glad I don't own power tools. 

Good news is I'm learning, and it is only money.  Should be able to rig a solution to my current fix...

We've all had weeks like that.

You did lube your tap? Tap Magic is a must have, IMO.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 11:14:17 PM EDT
[#7]

We've all had weeks like that. 

You did lube your tap? Tap Magic is a must have, IMO.
View Quote

Yup, lots of oil. 3/4 turn reverse half turn, etc. I've got a few ideas on how to do it better if there is a next time. Also think I have a solution to a rear take down pin that won't depend on the detent.

Will end up using this lower for a dedicated futuristic 22 pistol so I'm not really out much of anything, just a few more square milimiters of baldness and a extra grey hair or two in the beard...

Link Posted: 5/20/2020 6:13:18 AM EDT
[#8]
You could try this from KNS

KNS take down pin
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 7:29:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Look up the alum and acid steel removal from aluminum. Warning, don't get it anywhere you don't need it.  It can and will remove the dye from your factory anodizing.  But in 10-15 minutes, the tap will be disolved enough to remove eaily.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 8:29:05 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Hojo15:
You could try this from KNS

KNS take down pin
View Quote

Yup, saw that, but at $35 plus shipping I could probably just spend a tad more and get a new receiver :)

But it did give me the idea of using a binder post or similar... will be heading to the hardware store and playing with the various fasteners, etc.

Link Posted: 5/20/2020 11:12:38 AM EDT
[#11]
tap removal tool

Don't know if the correct size is in there but I recall people on her buying them off Amazon for this exact situation
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 8:25:49 PM EDT
[#12]
A decent machine shop should be able to get that out no problem.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top