Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/20/2018 2:19:40 PM EDT
how do you guys get the area around where the gas tube comes into the receiver and the recesses there. Looking for an easier way.Currently use qtips and a toothbrush but its a bitch to get the brush in there.Thanks
Link Posted: 10/20/2018 3:03:16 PM EDT
[#1]
You don't really need to clean there,  but spray some solvent in that area then take a small piece of a shop towel and move it around in there with a pick.

That's how I do it anyway.
Link Posted: 10/20/2018 3:33:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Take a quality pipe cleaner and bend it in half, then shape it like a hockey stick, oil it with some CLP and scrub under the gas tube, then use another pipe cleaner to wipe off the dirty oil, or a issue type patch can be used with a dental pick. Use a pipe cleaner bent in half again to loop under the gas tube to shoe shine the under side of the tube itself.
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 9:01:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Pipe cleaners, patches, and solvent.
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 9:10:00 AM EDT
[#4]
brake cleaner
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 2:19:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You don't really need to clean there,  but spray some solvent in that area then take a small piece of a shop towel and move it around in there with a pick.

That's how I do it anyway.
View Quote
Yep, picks work great. Sage and Braker have a fantastic set of picks and brushes on Amazon at a very reasonable price.
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 8:27:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Recommended that you use a worn out .22 brush and simply move a patch under and around that area.
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 7:38:42 AM EDT
[#7]
I find that a rag or towel with the small end of the GI toothbrush inside works great.
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 9:28:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Realistically an AP brush with a piece of cloth and some CLP is all it will ever need.  But I like mine spiffy so I use cotton patches and a plastic pick with CLP to dig around the small crevices.
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 3:08:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
brake cleaner
View Quote
Yep.

Why in the world would anyone waste their time soaking with solvent or CLP and going at it with Q-tips for who knows how long.
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 1:18:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
how do you guys get the area around where the gas tube comes into the receiver and the recesses there. Looking for an easier way.Currently use qtips and a toothbrush but its a bitch to get the brush in there.Thanks
View Quote

You clean up in there?
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 1:36:47 PM EDT
[#11]
I use Q-tips if I feel like being anal about it. But usually I just clean the barrel and BCG real good, and wipe everything else down with cloth.
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 4:23:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Why would you waste your time?
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 10:20:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Why would you waste your time?
View Quote
Did you just imply that cleaning a rifle is wasting time? "That's a beatin!" lol jk CMON MAN! analesque cleaning of the receiver is never a waste of time. It gets it nice and clean!.

"It rubs the lotion on its skin. OR ELSE IT GET THE HOSE AGAIN!!!"

It cleans the rifle or else it get he hose again! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCSZfmbFJyQ

Yes that is sometime how I see/think of fanatical cleaners. You decide which character in that vid I am referring to.

LOL
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 11:06:50 PM EDT
[#14]
I spritz the upper with whatever cleaner I am using and then get what I can reach with a rag. Once that is done, I go back and get the tight spots with the long handled Q-tips.
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 11:20:27 PM EDT
[#15]
I don’t.

Haven’t had any issues in thousands upon thousands of rounds.

Guess I’ll worry about it if it ever does becomes an issue.
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 11:30:42 AM EDT
[#16]
I find myself cleaning the inside of the upper more on my suppressed AR15s.

I mount the upper in a vice upside down, spray some lube in there, and let it sit so the cleaners can work their way into the carbon.

Once soaked in, I clean it out with all of the above methods.

I try not to have flashbacks about Command Inspection by doing so...but it's hard not to reminisce about the guy with the tiny, crooked pinky inserting it into the barrel extension and pulling out traces of carbon.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top