BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/9/2021 8:21:21 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 8:44:29 PM EDT
[#1]
I have one, haven't completely made up my mind about it though. It is small. I'm also interested in the Mini Cannon for about the same price.

I believe that they're both discontinued, thus the price.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 8:45:58 PM EDT
[#2]
You wouldn't know the height from the rail to the center of the optic using the low mount? I'm looking for something close to 1.05" to co-witness with my BUIS. I do know that with the etched reticle, BUIS's aren't needed.  I'm actually about to buy a HS507C-V2 with a 0.40" riser today and this may be a better option. This will take the place of a Spitfire that I'm currently running and I'm trying for a much smaller optic. Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 8:54:04 PM EDT
[#3]
I have two. One on a 4lb 5.56 ultralight pistol build and the other on a budget 300BLK pistol. I like it on the ultralight because it meets the criteria for the build.

I'm switching it out on the 300BLK for an LPVO and repurposing as an offset sight on a 6.5 Grendel hunting AR that has a 3-18x scope.

They are limited, but they are great for specific use cases. They work better with both eyes open.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 9:30:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You wouldn't know the height from the rail to the center of the optic using the low mount? I'm looking for something close to 1.05" to co-witness with my BUIS. I do know that with the etched reticle, BUIS's aren't needed.  I'm actually about to buy a HS507C-V2 with a 0.40" riser today and this may be a better option. This will take the place of a Spitfire that I'm currently running and I'm trying for a much smaller optic. Thanks.
View Quote
Co witnessing with a prism sight doesn't work well like it does with a red dot.

for it to work with buis, qd is preferred so the sight can be easily removed.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 10:40:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Co witnessing with a prism sight doesn't work well like it does with a red dot.

for it to work with buis, qd is preferred so the sight can be easily removed.
View Quote

Looking more for consistency of cheek weld etc., not actual co- witnessing. This is on a large frame with a tactical height rail profile (0.535" or 1.7" over bore).
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 11:38:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 12:18:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
0.890"  Measured from the top of the rail to the center of the objective lens on the 10-22 in the article using the low mount

@msgriff

View Quote

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 1:31:59 PM EDT
[#8]
I wish I could get the spitfire reticle in the lil P package.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 2:57:58 PM EDT
[#9]
I wasn't too confident in the mount. I tried it on multiple Picatinny rails/Risers and it just felt loose unless I really cranked it on there; possibly well passed the proper torque values.

My first Lil P had a failure to turn on and had to be returned.

What kills me is it actually would fit on a T1 Mount (it fits the groove/mount perfectly), but it's just too small to be usable/mount on the screw holes. If Bushnell made it just a small amount bigger/T1 compatible they would have a real winner. I actually really liked the reticle, and despite the optics size it was usable/fast to pick up.

One minor nitpick; it really looks out of place on a 16" rifle mounted all the way to the back

What is amazing; is that it weighs less than 5 oz for a prism scope. It would work nicely on a PCC/PDW. Bushnell really needs to get better at advertising their optics, make some refinements for a gen 2, and go with an industry standard for mounts.

Primary Arms has refined their prisms. the 2x is fairly compact, and the 1x is being made even smaller/ mo betta.

Vortex has also shrank the footprint of their 3/5x prism scopes, along with Burris.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 3:02:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I wish I could get the spitfire reticle in the lil P package.
View Quote

Dumb question, what does the Donut of Death do that this won't? Or did you mean the reticles on the higher magnifications?

vs

Or Did you Mean:

Link Posted: 1/10/2021 5:26:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Thread with my QD setup.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/AR-15/Bushnell-Tac-Optic-Lil-P-prism-micro-/18-753878/

The ADM bipod mount looks better, but the 5 slot riser allows the sight to be moved back a bit further, which I like cause the optimal eye relief is short.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 12:27:17 PM EDT
[#12]

I like the simple circle dot. The vertical line serves no real purpose to me other than clutter things up.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 1:36:19 AM EDT
[#13]
Nice to see the Lil P getting a lil love. Here's mine that does an amazing job on my B&T. Had a Gucci level red dot on it previously until I developed an astigmatism. Didn't like the bigger bulkier prisms from Vortex or PA in this application. Wanted to keep the gun as slick and compact as possible. Found the Lil P and it fits bill. These are perfect for subguns. Almost like they were made just for them. As described above, the best use is to mount it on the rear of the receiver, shoot both eyes open, and it works almost like a sharper Eotech. Your FOV is around the optic. Eye relief is not a problem. It becomes unusable at almost arms length due to it's tiny size before you start seeing any scope shadow. It's not an RMR. It really excels as a subgun optic or SBR optic at CQB distances. I like it a lot. It's staying put.  

Link Posted: 1/12/2021 11:57:55 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I like the simple circle dot. The vertical line serves no real purpose to me other than clutter things up.
View Quote

I agree.  If you aren't going to put BDC substensions on it, what is the point?
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 11:54:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 11:23:44 AM EDT
[#16]
Yep, I believe the manufacturers are drinking too much of their own marketing cool-aid. Through personal conversations and more opinions viewed on the internet, it looks like there's a sizable market for a simple, compact prism scope offered from 1x through 3x. Circle/dot only combo seems to be the most desired. IMO most circles are way too thick. Decrease that substantially. I'm open to various reticle styles. But they can be kept simple, sharp, and clean. My #1 priority with a firearm is speed of acquisition and engagement of target. Subtensions and the like have their place for sure but so does simplicity and uncluttered. My personal preference would include toolless exposed turrets with excellent audible and tactile adjustments. This would be an easy build, marketable, and within reason, cost-effective.
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 11:56:41 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I think I'm done with red dots entirely.  I can't see any advantage over a 1x prism.  This sight keeps growing on me.  It reminds me of the 1x sight in the handle of the AUG
View Quote

Unlimited eye relief on a red dot is a big deal, IMHO.

A 1x prism is a good red dot alternative in certain applications, but red dots and prisms create a Venn diagram, not 100% overlap.
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 12:18:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Tag for later
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 9:55:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I think I'm done with red dots entirely.  I can't see any advantage over a 1x prism.  This sight keeps growing on me.  It reminds me of the 1x sight in the handle of the AUG
View Quote

Unless you have specific eye issues, that is pure crazy talk.
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 11:11:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 12:39:25 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Unlimited eye relief on a red dot is a big deal, IMHO.

A 1x prism is a good red dot alternative in certain applications, but red dots and prisms create a Venn diagram, not 100% overlap.
View Quote

I'll agree with your second statement, not so much on the first. In the certain application of a shoulder fired weapon there's going to be only so much variation in head placement. As long as you mount the optic for proper relief and it has some tolerance then unlimited eye relief doesn't really mean that much. Pistol mounted RDS at arms length? Yeah, unlimited is everything there. Sucks to have an astigmatism. I'm totally locked out of the RDS pistol revolution.
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 1:55:33 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I'll agree with your second statement, not so much on the first. In the certain application of a shoulder fired weapon there's going to be only so much variation in head placement. As long as you mount the optic for proper relief and it has some tolerance then unlimited eye relief doesn't really mean that much. Pistol mounted RDS at arms length? Yeah, unlimited is everything there. Sucks to have an astigmatism. I'm totally locked out of the RDS pistol revolution.
View Quote

Rollover prone, SBS prone, kneelback... There are tons of nonstandard shooting positions that benefit greatly from the unlimited eye relief of a red dot.
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 1:59:03 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 3:39:59 AM EDT
[#24]
I bought one of these and I hate it. It needs to be fairly close to the eye or else it has a fisheye type of effect. I took it to the range and truly wanted to like it but after a couple hundred rounds I went back to a beat to shit PA reddot and it felt like a huge upgrade. Astigmatism and all.
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 8:54:22 AM EDT
[#25]
I have more than one of these as well.  I have a red dot on a pistol, but I dislike them as rifle sights.  It isn't just the astigmatism.  RDS can be dark and imprecise.

Quoted:
How much eye relief do you think you need?  I had the lil P on a 45 degree mount at the front of the receiver and it did fine. Field of view through the tube was narrower, but it would be the same with a red dot
View Quote

Great write up.

I have no issue with the eye relief, and find the sight usable out to a foot.  The amazing thing about it is that it has no minimum eye relief I can detect.  I can put my glasses up against the ocular bell and still see through it perfectly.

Part of the problem of a 1x optic for shooters with a lot of myopia is getting the image size right and the reticle clear at the same time.  a little magnification is fine, but a reduction of image size isn't.

I never use the battery.  I wish they made one without the battery compartment.
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 11:39:46 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Rollover prone, SBS prone, kneelback... There are tons of nonstandard shooting positions that benefit greatly from the unlimited eye relief of a red dot.
View Quote

No doubt. RDS do have their advantages in specific cases. Acog's come to mind here from their super limited eye relief. A lot of the 1x and low power prisms coming out these days are much more forgiving. This particular little cheapie is still very much usable in the positions you mention. You can hold it at arm's length ala a pistol red dot and the reticle is still bright, crisp, & usable. At that it suffers more from it's tiny occular lens than any eye relief collapse of field size. This thing is far from perfect but it doesn't lack in comparison to a red dot of comparable size (RMR) on a long gun. Personally I wouldn't use it on an AR or rifle caliber long gun or anything anything that might be used outside CQB range. Mine lives on an APC9 and I think it excels as a PCC or subgun optic. It's extremely small and light and doesn't bulk it up. Perfect for something a bit larger than a handgun that might be concealed. Big plus is you never have to worry if it's on.
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 7:15:49 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 7:43:35 PM EDT
[#28]
I got mine few days ago.
No chance to use it yet.
You really don't appreciate just how small & light it is until it's in your hand.
Shipping is hight but Natchezss has the best price I could find on them.

https://www.natchezss.com/bushnell-tac-optics-lil-p-prism-sight-blk-circle-dot-bdc-hi-rise-5l.html
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 9:34:19 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I honestly wonder how this would work on a handgun with a non-reciprocating slide, like a Ruger Mark 22
View Quote

Two problems with that:

1.  Even with the low mount, there is a lot of distance between the line of sight and the bore, but more importantly,
2.  while I can clearly view the reticle and target with my arm extended, the optic is now almost a yard away, which means that target looks about half size.
Link Posted: 3/24/2021 6:07:53 AM EDT
[#30]
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top