Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/26/2019 10:24:18 AM EDT
I have a rifle that I really like. Was built over the years for 3 gun, it's beefy but a really soft shooter and runs perfectly. Problem is, it's a heavy beast. It's got a jp 18" bull barrel, Magpul UBR, lancer lower, 15" FF tube and trijicon 1-4.

I was thinking of lightening it up since I don't shoot much 3 gun any more, basically turn it into a more tactical or in close rifle. The problem is everything is fully custom painted and I like it that way. I couldn't change anything without ruining that besides the barrel.

Looks like the barrel weighs about 35 ounces. for comparison, a 14.5" pencil weighs 16. seems like a good way to shave almost 2 pounds off a 12 pound rifle.

Is this worth doing? Or would I be better served just building a lighter weight upper for my SBR lower and leave this one alone?  The sbr has a 7.5" barrel with incoming can. Nothing really done to lighten it

Not really wanting to do a whole new gun at the moment, just something a little more handy.
Link Posted: 6/26/2019 10:43:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Why don't you go ahead and swap to a lighter barrel, run it and see how you like it that if it is not what you envisioned, use that barrel as a start point for the new build and put meaty back on?
Link Posted: 6/26/2019 11:56:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Even long pencils handle like a wand.  
Link Posted: 6/26/2019 12:36:51 PM EDT
[#3]
If you like the balance and handling of the heavy barrel, be prepared to have to lighten the butt end when you swap to a lighter barrel.

I’d suggest a new light upper and doing what you need to do to your SBR lower to achieve good balance and handling.

JPK
Link Posted: 6/26/2019 12:45:21 PM EDT
[#4]
If I have a gun configured in a way that works well for its intended purpose, I generally leave it alone.

I buy/build guns for a purpose.  So, if I'm in your shoes, I'm not re-configuring a 3-gun rifle...esp if I like the way it shoots and there is some possibility I might use it again. If you chose to reconfigure it anyway, you will essentially be building a new rifle given that you will have to replace the back end to even out a lighter barrel....which then screws up your paint job.

Personally, I'd just build up a purpose built upper to meet your needs and/or a new AR build.  Parts are so cheap now-a-days, that it is generally not cost prohibitive to do so.
Link Posted: 6/27/2019 7:39:25 AM EDT
[#5]
I too have an SPR barreled rifle that started out for 3 gun but just felt too heavy for any other kind of use.  I eventually built a 16” medium barrel weight which in the end is only about 15 oz lighter overall vs the 18” and is used now for 3gun where as the SPR has a 10x scope on it.

Sounds like what you need is a nice 11.5 or 12.5 barreled upper to put on the SBR lower.  This would bridge your current gap almost perfectly.
Link Posted: 6/27/2019 8:18:29 AM EDT
[#6]
My go to carbine started with a BCM 16" standard profile barrel and 15" handguard. I saved about a pound and a halfish by going to a 14.5 ELW with pinned A2X and a 13" handguard. The difference to me was absolutely stunning. Then again it went from fairly light to really light.

I imagine going from really heavy to not-quite-as-heavy will be less of a jaw dropper but itll still make quite a difference, imho.

ETA even if you decide to build up your SBR, if you dont need the heavy barrel for 3gunning and the gun becomes a range toy I would still slap a lighter barrel in there just for comfort.
Link Posted: 6/27/2019 9:20:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Sounds like you need to leave it alone and just build a new AR that is lighter!  

Besides that barrel changes are easy and cheap relatively speaking.  A 16" lighter weight profile barrel would be a few ounces lighter and ditching the UBR in favor of something lighter would also be a significant area where you could lose weight.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top