Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/30/2018 11:28:41 PM EDT
You read the title, how do some people have silky smooth actions on their AR's?? Is it a type of lube they use? Their buffer spring? Or just wearing out the gun over time? My AR is slightly heavy and crunchy when it comes to pulling the charging handle.. My AR is also brand spanking new, however the rails on the charging handle are already worn out. I keep my AR constantly wet with mobil 1 and gun grease..Should I swap out my charging handle or just keep using my AR in hopes that it'll get smoother over time?
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 1:44:29 AM EDT
[#1]
How many rounds have you shot with it?
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 1:47:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Good parts, wear, lube and a solid charging handle with smooth things out.
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 2:44:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
about 300
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 2:52:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
about 300
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
about 300
Was just curious.  Your action spring will become a bit less obnoxious when the receiver extension becomes smoother from wear.  If it is a cheap extension, with rough machining, it will take a lot longer.  Some have dry film lube, and are nice and smooth.

Get a quality charging handle, lube it, and shoot the hell out of it.
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 3:32:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

about 300
View Quote
Rookie numbers....get some rounds downrange

I was told that the best thing to buy for a new gun is 1000 rounds of ammunition. Yours is not even broken in yet...
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 3:49:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Rookie numbers....get some rounds downrange

I was told that the best thing to buy for a new gun is 1000 rounds of ammunition. Yours is not even broken in yet...
View Quote
Yeah, tell me about it! Im working on it, man.
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 3:52:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Was just curious.  Your action spring will become a bit less obnoxious when the receiver extension becomes smoother from wear.  If it is a cheap extension, with rough machining, it will take a lot longer.  Some have dry film lube, and are nice and smooth.

View Quote
Hmm. Interesting you mention the receiver extension; I never thought about that. It's a pretty high quality AR, just needs some use I guess. :) What charging handle do you recommend? I've been meaning to replace mine with something higher quality but they tend to be near $100..
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 9:14:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Hmm. Interesting you mention the receiver extension; I never thought about that. It's a pretty high quality AR, just needs some use I guess. :) What charging handle do you recommend? I've been meaning to replace mine with something higher quality but they tend to be near $100..
View Quote
A good used Colt CH would be a consideration. But perhaps it'd be no better than your current one. What do you have? A few months ago I replaced a nothing ch with a Raptor LT for the ambi feature. Immediately I observed (visual) and experienced a noticeable "stoutness" and smoother pull with it. Not as much slop. Believe the other was from PSA (very flimsy and loose comparatively speaking). Though costly to me, they can be found under 60.00.
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 9:40:37 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
It's a pretty high quality AR
View Quote
What is it??

As for a charging handle, just get a BCM, like the Mod 4
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 10:44:54 AM EDT
[#10]
Break in will def help some.
I likey the nibx
Fortis hammer CH may be what u seek
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 11:36:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 4:40:54 PM EDT
[#12]
If you're already running good grease and quality components (CH, RE) that have worn in a little bit, you can get the last little bit of smoothness from a captive spring.

JP SCS

Armaspec SRS

SI RRS

They're not for everybody, definitely cost more and add weight over a traditional buffer and spring setup, but damn if they aren't nice. Loving my SRS with an AGB and suppressor.
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 5:08:48 PM EDT
[#13]
I just put together a 6.5 Grendel and the mil spec buffer tube from Brownells was horrible. The ID felt like it was threaded and the action felt dry as a bone. Replaced it with a Trinity from midsouth and it is nice and smooth.
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 5:30:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

A good used Colt CH would be a consideration. But perhaps it'd be no better than your current one. What do you have? A few months ago I replaced a nothing ch with a Raptor LT for the ambi feature. Immediately I observed (visual) and experienced a noticeable "stoutness" and smoother pull with it. Not as much slop. Believe the other was from PSA (very flimsy and loose comparatively speaking). Though costly to me, they can be found under 60.00.
View Quote
I have LWRC's factory charging handle (for their DI rifles). It's ambi, but not much different from any other factory charging handle from what I can tell..
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 5:31:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

What is it??

As for a charging handle, just get a BCM, like the Mod 4
View Quote
LWRC m6ic direct impingement. The bcm one's look good. What about the mod 3x3?
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 5:33:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Action spring /receiver extension/charging handle/carrier rails/upper receiver machining....check them all.

Your charging handle is "worn out"?  Are you talking finish wear? At ~300 rds,  nothing should be worn out.
View Quote
It's a LWRC m6ic direct impingement, stock internals. The wear looks something like this, but A LOT LESS, and the upper receiver shows no signs of wear whatsoever. https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjA28Styv_eAhUxFjQIHRFyAfEQjRx6BAgBEAU&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.hkpro.com%2Fforum%2Fhk416-hk417-hq%2F203262-help-mr556a1-charging-handle-destroying-my-gun.html&psig=AOvVaw2fS5SJ3Mnf_XZv3wq7cZGW&ust=1543786323379345
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 5:36:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Synthetic wheel bearing grease.
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 5:36:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I just put together a 6.5 Grendel and the mil spec buffer tube from Brownells was horrible. The ID felt like it was threaded and the action felt dry as a bone. Replaced it with a Trinity from midsouth and it is nice and smooth.
View Quote
Never seen that one before, i'll give it a look.
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 7:06:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Side charger will cure all your woes.
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 11:56:25 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 2:05:49 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

So not "worn out", just wear in the anodizing.  Not a huge issue, IME.

As for the feel when charging, spring and receiver extension are most likely the major contributors.  How is the machining/finish inside the extension?

An upgraded spring would help (Damage Industries enhanced springs are great), some light grease on the carrier rails may help also.

Run it wet for ~500 rds, it'll likely feel much nicer.
View Quote
About the buffer spring, I'm new to AR's, so how exactly does one differentiate between different buffer spring types? I'm sure how stiff or loose your buffer spring is can have dramatic influence on the cycling of the action and reliability of the weapon, so how do I find out which buffer spring I have and which types of buffer springs are compatible with my rifle? I really don't want to screw up with how fast or slow the BCG is cycled rearward or cause any types of malfunctions where the spring is too heavy for my gas system, etc. All the buffer springs I've looked at don't mention anything about the rifle you're wanting to put it in..
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 10:36:12 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 10:39:53 AM EDT
[#23]
Did you look at the finish on the interior of your receiver extension, yet?  Is yours coated with dry film?
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 10:52:59 AM EDT
[#24]
Make sure you put some oil or grease inside the receiver extension itself.
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 10:59:10 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Geissele

What type of AR did you get?
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 6:26:10 PM EDT
[#26]
Put at least 1000 rounds through it before changing anything.
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 8:42:55 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Geissele

What type of AR did you get?
View Quote
Geissele is definitely my number 1 pick. My friend has one and it works great. I have an lwrc m6ic di
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 9:53:00 PM EDT
[#28]
Round count and lube.

My AR15s have all broken in. But the sandy feeling you describe when pulling the charging handle back on a new AR will go away in time.
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 3:45:02 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Did you look at the finish on the interior of your receiver extension, yet?  Is yours coated with dry film?
View Quote
It was smooth but pretty dry overall.
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 3:45:34 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Round count and lube.

My AR15s have all broken in. But the sandy feeling you describe when pulling the charging handle back on a new AR will go away in time.
View Quote
Good to know.
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 9:21:21 AM EDT
[#31]
I have been using the Spike's Tactical buffer tube kits - nice smooth dry film coating inside the tube and their powedered tungsten buffers to eliminate the noise from the buffer weights. Very noticeable difference from regular mil-spec tubes and buffers. Their spring also has a very smooth (polished) finish compared to some I've seen.
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 10:23:14 PM EDT
[#32]
Ar's are like most pistols. Keep them lubed and shoot them. They break in and parts mate creating a silky smooth action. I tend to charge and dry fire quite a bit. Barely any anodizing  left on the charging handle. Without dry fire that takes a long time to smooth out because you only need to charge it to start shooting. Several hundred times dry charging breaks it in well.  I love smooth operating guns. Cant stand anything to feel gritty. Couldnt care less about the loss of anodizing in the charging handle.
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 1:55:44 PM EDT
[#33]
My factory LaRue Stealth 2.0 feels like a slick hydraulic strut when you cycle it, both by hand or when shooting.

It was that way out of the box, no really.  Love it.

On other rifles, I will polish the BCG rails if they "need" it, which is on ones that have a very rough-textured manganese phosphate surface.

A true Mil-Spec/Mil-Std upper has a dry film lube baked into it, as does the RET (receiver extension tube), just like the aluminum 30rd mags.

Those surfaces are great for suspending and maintaining enough thick lubricant for the action.

You can grease the action/recoil spring as well.

Some 3-Gun guys I've seen polish the inside of their RET.

Basic logic, but with an understanding of what the TDP is and what you're trying to do without removing critical surfaces.

Correct anodizing and good lubricant like Slip2000 or motor oil will slick a gun up pretty quick.

I apply Slip2000 or TW25 to the guide tabs on the charge handle, as well as the top of the CH shaft on new guns before the handle even goes into the upper.

Another thing is to check your bolt carrier bore before you even assemble, because sometimes they will have rough tooling marks in them that have been hard chromed over by the manufacturer, which would not pass a Mil-Std QC inspection if that particular carrier was tested in detail.

I either return those or polish them out.

Link Posted: 12/5/2018 11:46:42 PM EDT
[#34]
I agree with everything about breaking in and lube.  I have to say that on my m&p15 changing the factory charging handle to a Radian Raptor made a huge difference.  I didn't think it could.  I bought it for the grip options and to not break my roll pin as easily.  But it definitely made it smoother.  I switched back and forth to make sure my mind wasn't playing tricks.  So yes, break it in and that can't be understated.   Lube it.  But get a good charging handle too.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 1:01:32 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I agree with everything about breaking in and lube.  I have to say that on my m&p15 changing the factory charging handle to a Radian Raptor made a huge difference.  I didn't think it could.  I bought it for the grip options and to not break my roll pin as easily.  But it definitely made it smoother.  I switched back and forth to make sure my mind wasn't playing tricks.  So yes, break it in and that can't be understated.   Lube it.  But get a good charging handle too.
View Quote
Which raptor do you have? They have a couple different models. I'm thinking about getting the original one in the distant future.
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 11:20:28 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Which raptor do you have? They have a couple different models. I'm thinking about getting the original one in the distant future.
View Quote
I got this one.  They are pricey but they can be caught on sale at different places sometimes.  I paid $68 and got free shipping.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/603348/radian-raptor-ambidextrous-charging-handle-assembly-ar-15-aluminum
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 6:55:44 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Action spring /receiver extension/charging handle/carrier rails/upper receiver machining....check them all.

Your charging handle is "worn out"?  Are you talking finish wear? At ~300 rds,  nothing should be worn out.
View Quote
This.  All these factors can contribute to a gritty or smooth feel.  Also the BCG .  See where the surfaces are wearing and you will determine what maybe causing issues.  "Smooth as silk" is subjective as well.  You may be worrying about nothing.
Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top