Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/26/2020 1:16:38 PM EDT
not sure if its been covered but wondering your thoughts...

wouldnt there be a legitimate reason when ammo is scarce and aftermaths might still include forensic examination...like wisconsin right now...to have a decent brass catcher on ones main fighting piece?
Link Posted: 8/26/2020 1:30:51 PM EDT
[#1]
You could also load your mags wearing gloves.  I use a brass catcher when I'm at the range, cause I also reload.  To me they wouldn't be something I'd want on my gun if I thought there were a good chance I'm going to be in a firefight, but as they say, YMMV.
Link Posted: 8/26/2020 1:33:56 PM EDT
[#2]
i get that it might be a liability in case of stoppages, but wouldnt it also allviate flying brass ricocheting around a car if one were to engage a antifa or blm roadblock? pluses and minuses?
Link Posted: 8/26/2020 2:17:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
i get that it might be a liability in case of stoppages, but wouldnt it also allviate flying brass ricocheting around a car if one were to engage a antifa or blm roadblock? pluses and minuses?
View Quote

Brass ricocheting isn't going to hurt you.
Link Posted: 8/26/2020 7:14:28 PM EDT
[#4]
hot brass might hurt my wife or baby in his carseat...
Link Posted: 8/29/2020 9:56:32 AM EDT
[#5]
is there some version of brass catcher that is most rugged and reliable for extended carry and use on an ar15?
Link Posted: 8/29/2020 10:46:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Why would your wife or baby be in his car seat?
Link Posted: 8/29/2020 1:34:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Why would your wife or baby be in his car seat?
View Quote

Cause on extended marches you'd want to have your wife and baby in his car seat, probably could double as a mag dump pouch?   Do you even train road march bro?
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 5:15:08 AM EDT
[#8]
I bought a Caldwell brass catcher a couple years ago but I never got around to installing it until a couple months ago. Seems like a good piece of kit. Picking up my brass at the firing range is getting old. Other than that, if the SHTF and hell breaks loose, I wouldn't worry about flying brass.
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 9:15:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Cause on extended marches you'd want to have your wife and baby in his car seat, probably could double as a mag dump pouch?   Do you even train road march bro?
View Quote

hey go to matches bro, tactical strollers are definitely a thing.
Link Posted: 9/4/2020 4:31:38 AM EDT
[#10]
I use the 3 bucc brass catcher. It has a heaver wire frame and heaver cloth than the caldwell. The only drawback is it's not adjustable and has to mount at the front of the receiver rail.
Link Posted: 9/30/2020 11:31:04 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
You could also load your mags wearing gloves.  I use a brass catcher when I'm at the range, cause I also reload.  To me they wouldn't be something I'd want on my gun if I thought there were a good chance I'm going to be in a firefight, but as they say, YMMV.
View Quote

I think that the OP is trying to say without coming out and saying it, that he'd like to be able to use his defensive gun without worrying about leaving incriminating brass behind.  Who wants to have to destroy your upper to ensure that there is no way to connect you to that brass?  All purely hypothetical academic discussion of course.
Link Posted: 10/7/2020 9:22:57 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I think that the OP is trying to say without coming out and saying it, that he'd like to be able to use his defensive gun without worrying about leaving incriminating brass behind.  Who wants to have to destroy your upper to ensure that there is no way to connect you to that brass?  All purely hypothetical academic discussion of course.
View Quote

nope...not forensics minded but that is interesting take...im wanting to not fling hot brass inside a vehicle full of family members was the original idea. ive seen how shooter at bench to right of me gets pelted with brass at shooting ranges. one in the eye could really suck.
Link Posted: 10/7/2020 10:18:32 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

nope...not forensics minded but that is interesting take...im wanting to not fling hot brass inside a vehicle full of family members was the original idea.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

nope...not forensics minded but that is interesting take...im wanting to not fling hot brass inside a vehicle full of family members was the original idea.

Then you should edit your OP.

Quoted:

wouldnt there be a legitimate reason when ammo is scarce and aftermaths might still include forensic examination...like wisconsin right now...to have a decent brass catcher on ones main fighting piece?

Link Posted: 10/7/2020 5:24:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

In this case I would be more worried about the bast and noise of the 5.56 inside the vehicle.
Link Posted: 10/7/2020 5:28:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
is there some version of brass catcher that is most rugged and reliable for extended carry and use on an ar15?
View Quote

I wouldn’t consider a brass catcher for a shtf gun.. but if you really want one there’re some rigid ones out there like this

Link Posted: 10/7/2020 5:46:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Then you should edit your OP.

View Quote

yeah i guess it sounds like i was contradicting but not really as i never meant to imply hiding evidence.
Link Posted: 10/14/2020 12:30:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I wouldn’t consider a brass catcher for a shtf gun.. but if you really want one there’re some rigid ones out there like this

https://cdn2.bigcommerce.com/n-arxsrf/nfi4wj/products/1173/images/4042/144__87599.1406071576.1280.1280.jpg?c=2
View Quote

that one looks swell, who makes it?
Link Posted: 10/15/2020 7:03:12 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://cdn2.bigcommerce.com/n-arxsrf/nfi4wj/products/1173/images/4042/144__87599.1406071576.1280.1280.jpg?c=2

I had one of those back in the '90s.  Worked okay, except for an unfortunate tendency for brass to bounce off the side and end up back in the ejection port occasionally.  I'd suggest gluing some thick felt or something to the inside wall on the far side to absorb impact energy.  Maybe the thick adhesive felt you see sold for use on the underneat chair legs to keep from scratching the floor?
Link Posted: 10/16/2020 5:30:42 PM EDT
[#19]
perchance one could be modified to have a quick open side door to reach in and adress immediate action stoppages.
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top