Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/31/2021 1:59:13 PM EDT
Running a Bear Creek 7.5 300 blk pistol UNSUPPRESSED ( living in communist san diego )

I am having the usual failure to feed.

So far ive upgraded my BCG to a lightweight bcg, 300 blk out rated buffer spring, Standard Buffer and an adjustable gas block.

I was thinking of swapping back to factory gas block, as i read somewhere that you only need an adjustable gasblock if youre running subs through a longer barrel.

Any recommendations?
Link Posted: 8/31/2021 2:09:09 PM EDT
[#1]
I know a lot of pistol length gas systems don’t do well with subs. Might be worth shooting them an email and ask if they know of a way to get it to run.
Link Posted: 8/31/2021 2:32:25 PM EDT
[#2]
For reference, I am able to cycle Remington 220 subs reliably and consistently with a fixed gas block, both suppressed and unsuppressed, with a T3 buffer and a full auto BCG to boot. That was in a 9" bbl though. Not to insult your intelligence, but have you tried supers? Different magazines? Checked the buffer spring itself? Proper lubrication? Something wrong with the chamber or feed ramps? I will say that every Remington 220 I've ever handled felt a bit "sticky" to me, and I had my doubts about feeding and reliability, but it never ended up causing an issue.
Link Posted: 8/31/2021 2:45:33 PM EDT
[#3]
i ran it soaking wet with CLP, valvoline oil, shooters lube, frog lube.

ive ran supers through it no issues at all, only issues is with subs
Link Posted: 8/31/2021 3:17:14 PM EDT
[#4]
What ammo?

You likely need a lighter buffer and definitely a super light spring.

You might need to open up the gas port. BCA isn't exactly known for superb quality. It could very well be out of spec.

Def go back to a standard gas block.
Link Posted: 8/31/2021 3:22:45 PM EDT
[#5]
For context, I'm using my own mouse fart 220gr berry's 300 blk rounds with a 5.5" Rattler and they run fine, but it's got a "more gas" option on the gas block. You either need to go ultra light weight on the back end, or find a way to get more gas from the front end.
Link Posted: 8/31/2021 3:27:37 PM EDT
[#6]
I dont see the point of wasting subsonics on an unsuppressed rifle/pistol, but fwiw the can creates back pressure that helps the weapon cycle if I am.not mistaken. Supersonics should have enough gas pressure to cycle without a can.
Link Posted: 8/31/2021 3:29:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Personally I would replace the BCA barrel, as they are known to be shit. If you don’t want to do that, I would drill out the gas port. It’s easy to do at home. Put an old cleaning rod or dowel down the barrel and let the drill rip with some oil on the bit. Do one size bigger than fits in the gas port now.
You have an adj gas block so you can tune your gas back down if necessary so don’t be scared. Worst or maybe best case scenario is you get too over zealous and somehow destroy your barrel, then that will give you an excuse to get another one… but that is very very unlikely if you plug the barrel like I mentioned. I just do it by hand with the barrel held between my legs.

The burrs will shoot out in a couple of shots.
Link Posted: 8/31/2021 4:33:29 PM EDT
[#8]
I dont see the point of wasting subsonics on an unsuppressed rifle/pistol
View Quote

Even without a can you avoid the super-sonic crack of lighter bullets, so there is a point.  

I think the biggest issue is Bear Creek.  They are a crap shoot in every way.

Lighten up the mass or open up the gas.
Link Posted: 8/31/2021 5:18:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Even without a can you avoid the super-sonic crack of lighter bullets, so there is a point.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I dont see the point of wasting subsonics on an unsuppressed rifle/pistol

But you give up substantial performance. The compromise is usually made for the sake of being quiet but if that’s off the table it’s a much worse trade off.
Link Posted: 8/31/2021 5:20:28 PM EDT
[#10]
if i were going to get a more "effective" barrel to reliably shoot 220s w/o a can, what brand should i look into?
Link Posted: 8/31/2021 5:30:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
if i were going to get a more "effective" barrel to reliably shoot 220s w/o a can, what brand should i look into?
View Quote
Noveske.

Link Posted: 8/31/2021 5:31:40 PM EDT
[#12]
You might want to try a reduced power spring and lightweight buffer.

Run the adjustable gas block at full gas when shooting subs and then the gas down if you shoot supers.
Link Posted: 8/31/2021 5:32:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Noveske.
View Quote

forgot to mention, i have a 150-200 price point
Link Posted: 8/31/2021 5:39:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
Sell it, stick with 5.56 or build a 9mm.
Link Posted: 8/31/2021 5:47:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

But you give up substantial performance. The compromise is usually made for the sake of being quiet but if that’s off the table it’s a much worse trade off.
View Quote

IDK, these new expanding sub's will make a mess of a torso even @ 1k FPS.
Link Posted: 8/31/2021 5:58:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote
Not at 200 without having a firing solution, eyes of God upon you, and some good maths. Common core will not make it happen.
Link Posted: 8/31/2021 6:00:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No doubt some of the new bullets are amazing but I doubt they equal supersonic performance from a good bullet.
Link Posted: 8/31/2021 7:17:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

Sons of Liberty. The last 2 300 BO's I built were on Son's barrels. I've had zero issues with subs, even unsuppressed with heavier buffers and BCG's. They're under 200, but it's just a matter of finding them in stock.
Link Posted: 8/31/2021 7:27:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I dont see the point of wasting subsonics on an unsuppressed rifle/pistol, but fwiw the can creates back pressure that helps the weapon cycle if I am.not mistaken. Supersonics should have enough gas pressure to cycle without a can.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/31/2021 7:45:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

Keep saving.

Noveske or Seekins for 300 BLK.

See what cheap hardware has gotten you?
Link Posted: 8/31/2021 9:09:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Not at 200 without having a firing solution, eyes of God upon you, and some good maths. Common core will not make it happen.
View Quote

Who said anything about 200?  A can is going to make your sub's shoot flatter?
Link Posted: 8/31/2021 9:11:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

No doubt some of the new bullets are amazing but I doubt they equal supersonic performance from a good bullet.
View Quote

Likely not, but not as hard on the ears either.
Link Posted: 8/31/2021 9:12:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Who said anything about 200?  A can is going to make your sub's shoot flatter?
View Quote

No. Supers shoot flatter though. So another strike against your argument.

I think he is saying at 200' you're not going to do much of anything with ANY subsonic bullet.

Also consider that even the best expanding 300 BLK sub projectiles are defeated by even soft body armor, and I'm no longer interested.

I had Lehigh Defense 193s loaded in my HD AR for years.  I swapped them out to 110gr Black Tips.  I am 100% confident that I'll not be outgunned.  I didn't have that confidence with Subs.
Link Posted: 8/31/2021 10:41:20 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

No. Supers shoot flatter though. So another strike against your argument.

I think he is saying at 200' you're not going to do much of anything with ANY subsonic bullet.

Also consider that even the best expanding 300 BLK sub projectiles are defeated by even soft body armor, and I'm no longer interested.

I had Lehigh Defense 193s loaded in my HD AR for years.  I swapped them out to 110gr Black Tips.  I am 100% confident that I'll not be outgunned.  I didn't have that confidence with Subs.
View Quote

What arguement is that?  Someone said there was no point in shooting sub's without a can.  I said, there is actually.  What does shooting at 200 yards have to do with that?  I never said sub's are in the same park as super's.  I really don't fear bad guys crawling through my doggie door wearing body armor, maybe that's a thing in your neighborhood.  I am talking home defense, not patrolling the front lines.  Your point is?
Link Posted: 8/31/2021 11:10:28 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

What arguement is that?  Someone said there was no point in shooting sub's without a can.  I said, there is actually.  What does shooting at 200 yards have to do with that?  I never said sub's are in the same park as super's.  I really don't fear bad guys crawling through my doggie door wearing body armor, maybe that's a thing in your neighborhood.  I am talking home defense, not patrolling the front lines.  Your point is?
View Quote

My point is you're intentionally hamstringing your performance, and opting for 45 ACP performance when you could have intermediate rifle performance.

With no upside to speak of in a HD situation.

I agree that subs have their place. But it's not in a HD situation.
Link Posted: 8/31/2021 11:34:12 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

My point is you're intentionally hamstringing your performance, and opting for 45 ACP performance when you could have intermediate rifle performance.

View Quote

Less concussion and flash.  My HD SBR is 9mm BTW
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 12:35:09 AM EDT
[#27]
Ballistic Advantage are affordable and work well. My preference though is for Bison Armory. Very accurate with tons of different loads.
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 4:26:27 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

Don’t be ridiculous.

I shoot .22LR subsonic at 200 yards all the time, and a 220gr .300BLK will have an even flatter trajectory thanks to the heavier projectile and higher ballistic coefficient.

From Hornady's ballistic calculator:

.22LR CCI SV (40gr, 1,070 fps, 0.12 BC)
50 yard zero: 56" drop at 200 yards
100 yard zero: 40.7" drop at 200 yards,

.300BLK Rem. 220gr OTFB (220gr, 940 fps, 0.68 BC)
50 yard zero: 57" drop at 200 yards
100 yard zero: 39.8" drop at 200 yards

Notice how close the drops are, and that's with the .300BLK starting out 130 fps slower.

Most people don't realize how much of an effect bullet weight and ballistic coefficient have on the long range trajectory of subsonic bullets. They tend to retain their velocity and energy quite well.
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 8:31:02 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

Ballistic Advantage or Faxon will fit your budget. Ditch the adjustable gas block. It’s only “needed” if you’re switching back and forth between subs and supers. If it will cycle subs reliably, it’ll probably be overgassed with supers. If it’s not overgassed with supers, it probably won’t cycle subs reliably.
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 11:31:12 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Personally I would replace the BCA barrel, as they are known to be shit. I
View Quote

Hogwash.  I have a 16" BCA in 350 Legend and the rifling and barrel are nicer, smoother and cleaner than barrels on some of my "brand name" rifles.  It shoots MOA with factory ammo at 100 yards with a reflex sight.

Link Posted: 9/1/2021 11:44:04 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

45 ACP performance?  Bull hockey.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euucD2YJq4w
Link Posted: 9/5/2021 2:08:22 PM EDT
[#32]
I'd drill out the gas port in the barrel, make it bigger.
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top