Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/6/2021 10:54:38 PM EDT
Confused on what this will look like. Do I want to top of my front post to be touching the bottom tick of the reticle? Anyone have a photo for reference on what it is supposed to look like? Do you use the rear iron as well?
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 7:52:25 PM EDT
[#1]
The center aim point should line up right on top of the front sight when viewed through the rear sight (while aiming through the iron sights).  That’s what a cowitness is, both sights coaligning with one another.

Link Posted: 5/6/2021 7:55:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Isn't that an absolute co-witness? I have the exps that has the QD.

Link Posted: 5/6/2021 7:57:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Absolute would be the irons lining up with the reticle in the center of the optic viewing window

ETA: notice how RJeff21’s pic has the reticle and irons lining up in the “lower 1/3rd” of the optic.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 7:58:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Isn't that an absolute co-witness? I have the exps that has the QD.

View Quote

Both will align with the iron sights.  Absolute vs Lower 1/3 refers to where they align in relation to the optic’s window/glass.

Link Posted: 5/6/2021 7:59:02 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm confused, is that not what the photo posted is? The tip of the front post is in the center of the reticle?
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 8:07:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I'm confused, is that not what the photo posted is? The tip of the front post is in the center of the reticle?
View Quote

I’m not sure how much more clearly the question you asked can be answered nor am I able to see what you’re confused by.

The picture I posted two posts up is an accurate depiction of what absolute vs lower 1/3 sight pictures should look like.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 8:16:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Raise you rear sight and use the small aperture. Look through your Eotech (not the rear sight) and place the dot in the center of the window. What you'll see is the middle picture in the diagram. Drop your cheek weld slightly and look at the dot through the rear peep sight. Now you'll see the diagram all the way to the right, (that's what the photo is of). They are both lower 1/3. If the mount was intended to give absolute co-witness then you would see the first diagram on the left when looking at the dot through the sight. Notice the difference of height where in the window the sights appear. Easier to mount the sight on the rifle and do it in order to understand. You'll get it right away.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 8:22:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

The reticle and sight posts are lined up, but in the lower part of the optic window. If it was absolute, it would be in the middle of the optic.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 10:11:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Raise you rear sight and use the small aperture. Look through your Eotech (not the rear sight) and place the dot in the center of the window. What you'll see is the middle picture in the diagram. Drop your cheek weld slightly and look at the dot through the rear peep sight. Now you'll see the diagram all the way to the right, (that's what the photo is of). They are both lower 1/3. If the mount was intended to give absolute co-witness then you would see the first diagram on the left when looking at the dot through the sight. Notice the difference of height where in the window the sights appear. Easier to mount the sight on the rifle and do it in order to understand. You'll get it right away.
View Quote

Thanks, I think this makes sense. I guess I am wondering if I am looking at the optic and the front post (not through the rear aperture), I want that top tip of the front post to be at the bottom tick of the reticle?
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 10:15:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Thanks, I think this makes sense. I guess I am wondering if I am looking at the optic and the front post (not through the rear aperture), I want that top tip of the front post to be at the bottom tick of the reticle?
View Quote

Zero them separately and don't pay attention on where they line up.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 10:54:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 11:17:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Zero them separately and don't pay attention on where they line up.
View Quote
This it doesn't matter where the optics reticle is in relation to the front sight as long as the optic is properly zeroed. And by moving your head around while maintaining sight of the reticle you will see the reticle moves to wherever you look to the extent of the optic window.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 12:04:03 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you’re not looking through the rear sight aperture, then it doesn’t matter where the FSP is in relation to the reticle.  Zero them independently and rock on.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 3:46:58 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

The reticle and sight posts are lined up, but in the lower part of the optic window. If it was absolute, it would be in the middle of the optic.
View Quote

This is the concept as I have understood it for years....I tried absolute, post on dot in middle of rear aperature....dont like it

All of mine are set up for lower 1/3
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top