Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/27/2021 12:18:27 PM EDT
Hi, new member, first post, near total firearm newbie.

A few months back, I purchased an LWRC M6IC from a local gun centric pawn shop. Checking it over, it seemed in great shape as if it had never been fired. But, see above.

First time I took it out to the range, I ran 150 rounds through it, give or take. Didn't clean it afterwards. Fired without incident.

I've since bought a bipod and scope for it, so returned to the range to site in the scope (yea, know little to nothing about that either). Pulled off the lower, bore sighted the target at 35 yds out, dialed in the scope etc.

The gun pretty consistently jammed / miss fed after every other round. Shoot 2 rounds, I'd have to clear it. Repeatedly. It seemed as though the round wasn't getting up into place properly for the BCG to move it into the chamber. But, I'm not sure of that.

Using Magul PMAG 10 round magazine and Remington 223 55 gr. Shot off about another 150 rounds altogether and this occurred probably with 6 or 7 out of every 10 magazines.

What are some of the more obvious thoughts for why this might be occurring?

Thanks in advance.

Bob

Link Posted: 3/27/2021 12:35:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Need a hotter load. The cartridge you were using are awfully light.

Pick up some .556 63gr and see how it runs.
Link Posted: 3/27/2021 2:43:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Welcome to site. See if there are markings on the face of the buffer. See if there is an "H" and maybe a number. For the ammo you are shooting a standard buffer, no marks, is called for.
Link Posted: 3/27/2021 7:12:08 PM EDT
[#3]
I will give that a try. I did have some 556 with me, but didn't think to try it (since I was just dialing in the scope). Live and learn!
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 9:17:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Have you taken it down and cleaned/lubricated it?
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 11:02:48 AM EDT
[#5]
I've pulled the lower off and the BCG out. Clean as a whistle. Haven't lubed anything yet, but plan to then head out to the range again try it out with both the Remington 223 and the 556 rounds suggested above.
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 11:06:46 AM EDT
[#6]
I have "H2" stamped on the buffer tube. What does that indicate? Spring strength?
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 12:44:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Welcome to the forum and the wonderful world of firearms! Lots of great people here that are happy to share their knowledge.

H2 stamped on the buffer refers to it's weight. It shouldn't be stamped on the buffer tube (actually called receiver extension). An H2 buffer combined with low power ammo could lead to short-stroking.

Lubricate the rifle. https://www.ar15.com/forums/AR-15/AR15-LUBE-POINTS/7-548967/

Did you check the gas piston and port for fouling?

What ammo did you use when you were firing the rifle the first time? The same Remington or something else?

Are you using the same magazine?

The most common issues would be dirty gun, bad ammo, bad or dirty magazine or a combination of those.

For this one I'd bet on ammo being the culprit.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 1:31:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Check your gas block setting and confirm it's on unsuppressed.
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 2:44:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Check your gas block setting and confirm it's on unsuppressed.
View Quote

I'd do this first.

If you don't have one here's a link to the manual.

https://www.lwrci.com/assets/pdfs/lwrci-ic-manual.pdf
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 6:56:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks, EN. I'll check out all of these suggestions.

The first time I fired the rifle I used both the 223 and the 556, but mostly the 223 (less $ per round). As for the magazines, I've got 15 or 20 of the 10 rounders (living in the PR of Kalifornia), so I might have used the same ones or not, but they're all the Magpul PMAG's.

Thanks everyone for the info and insights.

Link Posted: 3/29/2021 1:26:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Most of us here know this but you may not...you can have 20 identical magazines, same make, model and all made on the same day and one or more of those may be just out of spec enough to not work properly with your rifle. Next time you go shooting take a roll of masking tape. Whenever you have a jam put a piece of tape on the mag and try another. When you're done shooting you will likely have either all your mags with a piece of tape or just some. If it's all it's a gun issue (unless you're like me and are the one in a million extremely unlucky person and got all bad mags. Yes that can happen but it's highly unlikely.) Just some mags then put those in a special "not to be used" bag or box. Try again with the remaining mags. No more jams mean a magazine problem and you can call Magpul and ask,"Why don't these work with my rifle?" nicely. It being Magpul I'd guess they will offer to swap the bad mags for good ones.
Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top