[#1]
Quoted:
i somewhat understand inertia but not really
my firing pins on my new fm9's are to short  can someone tell me what up here
foxtrot mike isnt responding
the pistols fire fine....but i dont understand how
when this is......heres a video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HShSrE5qLac
View Quote

I don't understand that either...I would dissemble the fire pin from the bolt to make sure it looked ok until you get a response from Mike.
Link Posted: 7/10/2021 10:15:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/10/2021 10:21:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
i somewhat understand inertia but not really
my firing pins on my new fm9's are to short  can someone tell me what up here
foxtrot mike isnt responding
the pistols fire fine....but i dont understand how
when this is......heres a video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HShSrE5qLac
View Quote

That is an inertia firing pin.

If you look at most 9mm and .45 hammer fired pistols the firing pin is shorter that the hole in the slide, so when the hammer is down the firing pin does not protrude through the breech face, and rest on the primer.  When the hammer under power from the hammer spring hits the firing pin it throws it forward and the inertia of its forward motion carries it into the primer with enough energy to ignite it, hence the name.

In your gun, it is there as a safety measure to prevent out-of-battery firing.  If the hammer falls too early it hits the cocking ramp before it hits the firing pin, and thus does not have sufficient energy to fire the primer.  Not strictly necessary, but still an extra safety measure.

And by the way, even blow backs can fire out-of-battery.  If the primer is ignited too early, the case is not fully chambered and the side wall of the case could be blown out.
Link Posted: 7/10/2021 10:42:54 PM EDT
[#4]
all to dam confusing for me...so its unsafe to have a standard firing pin set up? i wish someone with a computer could do a how it works video
sorta like the ones on youtube...lol
does this design have a tendency of not firing? sure seems like it
Link Posted: 7/10/2021 10:45:04 PM EDT
[#5]
so this is what im getting

the gas blows the bolt back throwing the firing pin further back...at that same moment
the hammer slams it forward?
thats how i understand it anyway
Link Posted: 7/11/2021 9:04:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/11/2021 10:41:13 AM EDT
[#7]
thanks so much foosh for your experience...i'll figure it out i guess...so what kind of firing pin do i buy as back up?
im dennis scott on facebook your welcome to join just add me
thanks bro!
Link Posted: 7/13/2021 12:19:04 AM EDT
[#8]
The hammer hits the FP and transfers energy into it, driving it forward.  It's like Newton's cradle, the energy propels the FP like one ball on the cradle propels the one on the far end.  After the hammer hits the FP it travels out past the breech face and hits the primer, pretty much all modern hammer fired and firing pin firearms operate this way.

Another way to think of it, have you ever hit a nail with a hammer so hard it sunk below flush with the surface of the board?  Same idea.
Link Posted: 7/13/2021 12:22:16 AM EDT
[#9]
This is a good cutaway animation of a Sig pistol, watch close how after the hammer hits the FP, the pin travels forward from the inertia while the hammer stays where it fell and stopped.

Link Posted: 7/14/2021 9:10:47 AM EDT
[#10]
got it guys...now the debate...grease on ar15...lol
Link Posted: 7/14/2021 9:50:35 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/14/2021 11:22:19 AM EDT
[#12]
i do have one question about f/p design....can it potentially fire slamming the bolt home on reload? seems like that design very well could
upon loading first round from a new mag
Link Posted: 7/14/2021 11:59:11 AM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
i do have one question about f/p design....can it potentially fire slamming the bolt home on reload? seems like that design very well could
View Quote

If it was going to slam fire, it would be more likely to do so on the later rounds in a magazine.

1) Since the bolt has to go behind the bolt stop when it cycles, the bolt is going to be traveling farther and faster from follow up shots that it would be from being released from the bolt stop.
2) Pressure on the rounds in the magazine is going to be less the more rounds have been fired and the magazine spring presses the rounds into the feed lips with less force. This would cause (somewhat) less drag when the round is fed into the chamber.

Not sure it is the same thing, but when you reload a Garand, you sometimes have to smack the charging handle to get the first round loaded, probably a combination of these two factors, especially #1.
Link Posted: 7/14/2021 12:10:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Pull your firing pin out of the bolt.  You'll notice that it has a spring around it.
Link Posted: 7/14/2021 12:23:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
No, for a couple reasons.  First, as mentioned, there is a spring in there pulling it back, that will retard the forward motion a bit.  Also, the FP alone probably doesn't have enough mass to slam forward under it's own inertia (and overcoming the resistance of that spring) to hit the primer hard enough to fire.  It needs the energy transferred to it by the much heavier hammer to hit the primer hard enough to fire.
Link Posted: 7/15/2021 8:14:54 PM EDT
[#16]
so had it out today just put a 1 mag thru it....4 light primer strikes out of 27 rounds click no boom...i think im dumping this thing
not impresssed with this inertia driven thing
Link Posted: 7/15/2021 8:40:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
so had it out today just put a 1 mag thru it....4 light primer strikes out of 27 rounds click no boom...i think im dumping this thing
not impresssed with this inertia driven thing
View Quote

There's obviously something going on. What ammo are you using? Inertial firing pins are used in damn near everything.
Link Posted: 7/15/2021 9:27:24 PM EDT
[#18]
just plain ol steel case tulla...i didnt lube it up though...gonna put a few mags thru it tommorow...lube it up
it was bone dry...another question with the rails...when i aim do i aim lower? or higher?..new to these mlok handguards...right now i have no sights
can seem to hit anything unless i cant see myself hitting whats a good cheap set of sights?
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 1:09:07 AM EDT
[#19]
Sounds like Tula is the problem. So you have no sights or red dot on the gun? There's no good way to aim without an aiming device.
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 10:55:15 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 8/29/2021 9:50:11 PM EDT
[#21]
Lube the bolt and firing pin well.  Make sure the hammer spring is good too.

And use decent ammo to test it.  Tula anything is "sub par" (to be generous).  It may be pricier, but get some Winchester White Box 9mm to run through it.  If it can't fire WWB, THEN you may have a real problem.  But don't judge the gun by Tula's crappy ammo.
Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top