Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/2/2020 6:04:50 PM EDT
This is ammo, 308 ammo, it's copper washed case and bullet.

Headstamp is 61 over 92, attracts a magnet on bullet and case.

which one refers to the date?

I "found" some (actually a bunch) of this in my mancave.

I have no idea what it is. I THINK I opened a spam can and out this stuff popped....

Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 7:02:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Is it copper washed or steel cases?

If so it sounds like Chinese.
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 9:51:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Factory code 61 is Chinese.

92 is 1992 production date.

Copper clad (not washed) steel case and projectile jacket, lead core.

Most likely corrosive primed, especially if it came out of a spam can. Test to be sure, if it matters to you.
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 10:07:39 PM EDT
[#3]
what devildog said..

it's copper colored, copper clad?

thanks guys!

yes it matters to me if it's corrosive!

thanks again
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 8:58:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Blammer:
what devildog said..

it's copper colored, copper clad?

thanks guys!

yes it matters to me if it's corrosive!

thanks again
View Quote

Yes, copper clad.

In simple terms, there is plating, washing, and cladding. Plating is a thin layer and washing is even thinner. Both are electro-chemical processes. Cladding is a mechanical process where copper and steel for example are pressed together under great force, such as in a rolling mill. The sheets of clad steel are then punched into discs, formed into cups, and further processed into cases and jackets. The thicker cladding helps reduce tool wear and leaves a protective coating on the finished product. Although plating and washing have been used in small arms ammunition, most "bi-metal" cases and jackets are clad.

A common example of cladding is some U.S. coins. If you look at the edge of a quarter, dime, half dollar, you will see a copper core sandwiched between cupro-nickel. Post 1982 cents are copper plated zinc and do not have this same appearance.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top