Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/23/2021 3:19:58 AM EDT
When I bought these the buyer was very clear they were sketchy and he wasn't sure.

They were cheap and covered in residue-I'll see how they work at the range. Lockup is good, clearly not real.

The thin footplate is the "colt", thick one is metal form
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 6:04:11 AM EDT
[#1]
I saw something similar on GB.  Is the mag body Colt marked?  Those on GB were not.

Eta: This mag came with a NIB 6951 a dealer ordered in for me.  I had it Cerakoted.

Link Posted: 1/23/2021 6:13:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 8:57:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
(snip)  How would making a counterfeit Colt 9mm mag be profitable at all? Unless they were made/modified during the AWB when preban mags were $115? The export/gov't/LEO markings were on the mag body at the time so floorplates could have been moved to something else to make them look like Colt, but back then there wasn't that C Products and ASC trash to relabel...
View Quote

I was thinking the same thing.  

Point of order, though... I've had a number of feed and fitment issues with my 6 Metalform mags and zero issues with any of my 16 ASC mags. ASC is far from "trash".  May have been in the past, but not so much now.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 2:28:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 2:30:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Orange follower is the fake, loaded mag is the metalform

Those are the only other body markings

Link Posted: 1/23/2021 3:24:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 3:30:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 5:12:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Metalform was the manufacturer for Colt’s 9mm mags up until around 2008 when they switched to ASC for about a year. I’m not sure what happened but Colt switched back to Metalform. I know that when I saw the Colt/ASC mags I was immediately reminded of the crap C-Products mags.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 5:22:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Metalform was the manufacturer for Colt's 9mm mags up until around 2008 when they switched to ASC for about a year. I'm not sure what happened but Colt switched back to Metalform. I know that when I saw the Colt/ASC mags I was immediately reminded of the crap C-Products mags.
View Quote
This right here, you can search this forum for posts back in 2008 and 2009 bitching about getting these mags when ordered from colt without them telling people they switched away from metalform. Lots of posts over the years about these
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 5:58:08 PM EDT
[#10]
the ones with followers were made by C Products I think?  They're good mags

The old Colt by Metalform ones are hit or miss and prone towards having the fountain of rounds syndrome and rarely will activate the bolt hold open function.

If anyone has a lead on metal followers for the Metalform Colt mags let me know.  Metalform doesn't respond or directed me to Brownells who don't have them.  Not paying $25 or so for a follower from Specialized Armament either
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 6:01:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Best part about getting old-forgetting shit you wish you didn't know. Worst part about getting old-forgetting shit like this.

I remembered the asc years now that you guys mention it, so there is a chance these are not "fakes".

Whatever their lineage, they will be range mags of they work.

If we thought these were prebans, if gladly give them to somebody behind a line-i don't think that's the case.

Interesting discussion over them, surprising to me nobody else seems to have any. Hey, these are RARE!

Link Posted: 1/23/2021 6:03:11 PM EDT
[#12]
@AssaultRifler

Cdnn- 29.95 metalform

Ships fast
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 6:19:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
@AssaultRifler

Cdnn- 29.95 metalform

Ships fast
View Quote

I want just the followers ala http://www.specializedarmament.com/ar-15-9mm-smg-carbine/9mm-follower
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 6:47:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Here's the various types of mags I have in my collection, not meant to be the final word on every Colt 9mm mag out there, these are just the ones I have

C Products Defense 20 Round Magazines

Good mags, stainless steel, orange follower

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/23/2021 6:50:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Colt by Metalform 30 Round Magazine

These are old school, with plastic follower

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/23/2021 6:52:28 PM EDT
[#16]
C Products 30 Round Magazine

(Not C Products Defense)

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/23/2021 6:55:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Colt 30 Round Newer Style

Looks like the C Products Pattern above
Orange follower

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

C Products (top) and Colt (lower) Comparison

Same pattern
Different finish
Different color follower
Both SS

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/23/2021 7:27:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Great knowledge added, I modified the title to reflect the conversation. It will make a good archive to someone.

Still not sure what mine are. More rare?
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 7:36:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Great knowledge added, I modified the title to reflect the conversation. It will make a good archive to someone.

Still not sure what mine are. More rare?
View Quote

I have 2 of the same type you have and they came with a Colt 6450.  So for a while they were the official factory Colt 9mm mag.  If they say "Colt" on them they're always be in demand and should demand a higher premium than non Colt marked ones.  But prices on hicaps are getting crazy again so higher premiums are out the window.  I bought mine to shoot with vs collecting

On a related topic, get the MagLula for the Colt SMG mags https://www.maglula.com/product/colt-smg-lula-9mm.  Damn near impossible to load to 32 rounds without one

Link Posted: 1/23/2021 8:40:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Your similar mag has an "M" marking mine doesn't have.

I got an original Lula from SHOT the first year they showed them, and have collected them all every since. Yes, that loader makes very easy work out of loading them.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 11:48:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Your similar mag has an "M" marking mine doesn't have.

I got an original Lula from SHOT the first year they showed them, and have collected them all every since. Yes, that loader makes very easy work out of loading them.
View Quote

this one?
Attachment Attached File

M is for Metalform and these are the old school type mags
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 12:02:57 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 12:12:24 AM EDT
[#23]
Nothing at all wrong with using modded Uzi mags if they were milled correctly other then the bolt hold doesn't work. Beefy as hell. Those are what I use 99% of the time at the range. On the plus side, I can beat ya to death with one if I run out of ammo.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 8:44:21 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
The Brownells are not made by Metalform
View Quote

Who is making the Brownells magazine?

Link Posted: 1/24/2021 12:25:55 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Who is making the Brownells magazine?

View Quote

Second thought, they *might* be made by Metalform, Brownells dodged this exact direct question

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/24/2021 12:43:34 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I've never seen this or even heard of it. How would making a counterfeit Colt 9mm mag be profitable at all? Unless they were made/modified during the AWB when preban mags were $115? The export/gov't/LEO markings were on the mag body at the time so floorplates could have been moved to something else to make them look like Colt, but back then there wasn't that C Products and ASC trash to relabel- Just Colt mags and modified UZI mags and some terrible copies made by USA or Promag or something, which were clearly different. This is interesting.

Colt mags were temporarily made by someone other than Metalform just a handful of years ago, I want to say it was C Products or ASC. Do you have any more pics, or at least a description of the follower, rear bolt clearance notch and mag catch notch? It seems like the other contractor had orange plastic followers instead of the metal ones with the regular spot welded LRHO tab like Metalform and the original Colts.
View Quote

I'm thinking the same thing.  I have a hard time believing that anyone bothered to make counterfeit Colt 9mm 32 round mags.  There just isn't enough market.

The federal government, (DEA and the U.S. Marshals and a couple of other agencies), used to own a lot of Colt 9mm 32 round mags (and 20 round mags)  Maybe some of them have made it to the surplus market. And, none of them were marked "law enforcement use only" that I ever saw.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 12:54:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 1:06:47 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 2:14:10 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

The federal government, (DEA and the U.S. Marshals and a couple of other agencies), used to own a lot of Colt 9mm 32 round mags (and 20 round mags)  Maybe some of them have made it to the surplus market. And, none of them were marked "law enforcement use only" that I ever saw.
View Quote

I have a couple of older 20 round Colts mags that have a dull grey finish and no law enforcement markings or manufacturing date. I just figured they were pre-ban. The 32 rounders that came with my Colt 6450 have the " law enforcement use only" on once side and the date 6/98 on the other.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 8:45:59 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
the ones with followers were made by C Products I think?  They're good mags

The old Colt by Metalform ones are hit or miss and prone towards having the fountain of rounds syndrome and rarely will activate the bolt hold open function.

If anyone has a lead on metal followers for the Metalform Colt mags let me know.  Metalform doesn't respond or directed me to Brownells who don't have them.  Not paying $25 or so for a follower from Specialized Armament either
View Quote

Colt SMG mags made by Metalform have a small Capital M on base plate

I purchase two metal mag followers from Specialized Armament .... $20/ea.    Got rid of plastic followers that were in my Colt/Metalform mags.  Fit/function perfectly

H
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 5:30:13 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

This might help with feed issues with the Metalform mags, in case you didn't know... be sure to clean the interior of the Metalform packing oils / persrvatives, and the follower.

Then use a car wax to seal / polish the interior surfaces.

Made a huge difference on all my Metalforms smooth function.

And FWIW... I have numerous Brownells that are identical to the Metalforms, except for the finish.
The slick finish on the Brownells,  saves you the effort of cleaning the inside.
View Quote

Good advice.  Thank you.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top