Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/11/2020 5:34:56 PM EDT
OK, so what is the deal on non-tax stamped (ie, no suppressors) pistol muzzle devices, esp for 9mm, 556, and 762x39?  Will be looking at barrels from 7ish to 10ish inches.

I don't care about tacticool looks, etc. - my rifles all have basic A2 birdcages - but I realize that upward venting stuff may not be such a good idea on a pistol.  Not that my beard, mustache or eyebrows are award winning or anything but I really don't like the smell of burnt hair...

I'm not against "no device" or "thread protector".

Would prefer to deal with more recoil vs. more noise (ie, the brake on my buddy's SCAR17 is awesome, hardly any recoil.  But you gotta wear plugs AND muffs when its on the line....).  

Not exactly looking for the tucked or fake can look but if that is the best at both keeping my eyebrows and beard/mustache intact and not increasing the noise levels beyond tolerable, I'll go for it....

So.... suggestions?
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 5:43:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

556, and 762x39 barrels from 7ish to 10ish inches. I'm not against "no device" or "thread protector". Bad idea, big flamethrower.

gotta wear plugs AND muffs when its on the line.  Anything that helps will recoil will require this.

View Quote

you should be wearing plugs and muffs anytime you shoot.

long duration exposure to noise above 80 dB is damaging. So, an hour at the range with just one kind of ear pro is not good enough. Plugs and muffs probably isn't good enough either. We all need big cans, but they are so expensive.
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 10:11:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Your state laws matter somewhat OP but assuming you live in a free area I think what you’re asking for is a flash can.

You want to redirect the muzzle blast so it’s less noticeable to the shooter, yes?
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 10:23:40 PM EDT
[#3]
I personally like Kaw Valley linear compensatory for my pistols. They come in a variety of calibers and threads. Joebob is a good source for them.
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 10:34:57 PM EDT
[#4]
I have played with a 7.5 and a couple of 10.3/10.5 barrels... you need a device that directs the blast down range... either a linear comp or flash can...
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 10:51:17 PM EDT
[#5]
I have used the harbinger from Damage industries and it works great and is relatively cheap. I have also used one like the Kaw valley one but from eBay for half the price on a 7.62x39 build and it also works great. I will add a few crappy pics just so you get the gest of the size of them.

harbinger

kaw valley style

but have also used the standard A2 with no issues

Link Posted: 5/12/2020 6:38:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Not enough toe in these pics
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 9:51:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Good price... Basic... simple/purpose built... still nice: KAK micro flash can

OK price... More common/readily available... does the job... designed well: Kaw Valley Precision linear comp

Good stuff... still decent value. Nice... less common = slightly more unique... very cool: BRT Covert Comp Mini
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 10:44:50 PM EDT
[#8]
I like the simple A2 flash hider design but if you’re looking to throw blast/sound down range, the SLR Hybrid Linear Comp is pretty good but pricey.
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 11:15:55 PM EDT
[#9]
I use Kak Flash can on my PSA 10.5".Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 2:17:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Highly recommend Damage Industries Harbringer. Compact, effective linear comp, which looks like an oversized A2 birdcage without ports.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 3:44:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Ended up buying a complete upper from FM.  Has a blast difuser/redirector at the front.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 5:52:28 PM EDT
[#12]
I like flash cans on pistols also.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 11:53:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Noveske KX5
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 12:41:02 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 1:20:27 AM EDT
[#15]
I'd just stick with some sort of flash hider.  Just out of curiosity, I switched among a Kaw Valley magnum comp, an A2 and a Strike Industries J-Comp.  Those around me said that they noticed little difference in noise level although the J-Comp was loud AND concussive.  The Kaw Valley was really good a shooting a very large fireball.  I just use an A2 and if I replace that, it will be with another flash hider.
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 9:56:47 AM EDT
[#16]
I have heard, or read on a forum somewhere, that PSA 10.5" pistol muzzles are threaded kind of strangely with a "collar" left about where the crush washer goes so that if you remove the A2 flash hider and put something else on you almost have to reuse the crush washer just for cosmetic reasons if nothing else.

Anybody experience this?
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 1:29:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Disregard
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 3:16:24 PM EDT
[#18]
I have the a2 flash hider on one 10.5

and PSA Fluted Flash Can

I really can't tell a difference

and I just shoot with muffs on, no double ear pro

I get more noise from the buffer tube spring than I do the blast----that is what bothers me more
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 7:36:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have heard, or read on a forum somewhere, that PSA 10.5" pistol muzzles are threaded kind of strangely with a "collar" left about where the crush washer goes so that if you remove the A2 flash hider and put something else on you almost have to reuse the crush washer just for cosmetic reasons if nothing else.

Anybody experience this?
View Quote

Are you talking about their CHF barrels?  I have one & took off the A2 birdcage & it looked like a normal crush washer to me.  I replaced it with a new crush washer when I put on the new MD & didn't have any problems.
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 10:11:40 PM EDT
[#20]
<----- damage industries harbinger on my 7.5. It now has a vortex and most all the flash is gone. Noise is subjective as is blast. Neither bother me and I always ware good ear pro. I will say the PING was a bit annoying at first with the vortex....

My 10.5's all have YHM phantoms.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 12:03:48 AM EDT
[#21]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Anybody experience this?
View Quote
Neither of my CHF are like that nor is the 10.5 nitride I bought a few years back. All three were a typical shoulder with 1/2" or so of threads. Maybe they changed the barrel profile after I bought..
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top