Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/22/2022 10:47:13 AM EDT
I used to use froglube, still do on the exterior of guns but had some gum up in long term storage accidentally used too much. Went to clp which has been ok but I see more wear than before. Recently I was given several trial packs of fp-10 and all of the firearms I have applied it to had noticeably smoother actions and less drag.

I have'nt taken them out to shoot yet but I was wondering if anyone has any experience with it.

Thank you.
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 1:51:34 PM EDT
[#1]
FP10 is a CLP.  Works fine, like every other CLP I have tried.
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 2:12:04 PM EDT
[#2]
MAINTENANCE/CLEANING

As stated, a CLP product it is.
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 2:23:36 PM EDT
[#3]
I love FP-10!

It is my go to gun oil in all of my firearms.

I keep a bottle in my range bag, in the truck, and on the reloading bench.

Any general lubrication need gets it too.

And I love the smell!
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 5:33:17 PM EDT
[#4]
FP10 had been my favorite lube for a very long time. Good performance across a broad regime of temperatures, stays where I want it, doesn't vaporize and splatter all over my glasses. I like it a lot.
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 7:09:00 PM EDT
[#5]
FP-10 has been made obsolete by WeaponShield.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 5:55:44 AM EDT
[#6]
FP-10 is a type of CLP. It's what I use mostly right now though quite frankly I cannot say if it is better than Break Free. It's definitely not worse. It's a quality product, easily available, and works as advertised. I don't need a lube that works for 4,000 rounds and I like the easy cleanup of a CLP product.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 10:47:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 4/3/2022 12:57:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Care to elaborate on this? I use both of these products.
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 2:35:04 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The guy who developed FP-10 went on to develop WeaponShield.
Link Posted: 11/19/2022 7:03:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I hear this all the time on different forums.  I have never seen weaponshield in person in any gun store.  

Most retailers that sell gun cleaning supplies that I frequent have fp10 in stock.  I have purchased several different firearms from different makers that supply a sample of fp10.   Have had my firearms customized at several different well known custom shops and some of them apply fp10 to the pistol prior to shipping.  This is obvious due to the unique scent of fp10.  

Weapon shield sure isn’t a successfully marketed product.
Link Posted: 11/20/2022 1:04:28 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 11/20/2022 1:21:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Why not WeaponShield? I believe it is made by the same guy who made FP-10 and he considers WS better lubrication for firearms
Link Posted: 11/20/2022 4:12:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Vintage Muscle products FP10 was better than Shooters Choice FP10. The creator of FP-10 did not seen happy with the shooters choice changes and went on to create Weapon Shield.
Link Posted: 11/20/2022 4:14:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Why not WeaponShield? I believe it is made by the same guy who made FP-10 and he considers WS better lubrication for firearms
View Quote

I heard steel shield is going out of business?
Link Posted: 11/21/2022 1:03:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Mind asking where did you hear that from? Source?
Link Posted: 11/23/2022 1:28:00 AM EDT
[#16]
I used to use it quite a bit, especially back when I used to do a lot of pistol shooting & competition.  One of the things I liked about it is it seemed like after a few cleanings the pistols would just wipe off carbon from the external with almost no effort, like it built up somehow and made it easier to clean.  I liked using it and never had any issues but I haven't used it in several years.

Currently I have been using Weapon Shield but haven't really used it long enough to make enough observations.  Or I just use BreakFree (all 3).
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 2:35:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I used to use froglube, still do on the exterior of guns but had some gum up in long term storage accidentally used too much. Went to clp which has been ok but I see more wear than before. Recently I was given several trial packs of fp-10 and all of the firearms I have applied it to had noticeably smoother actions and less drag.

I have'nt taken them out to shoot yet but I was wondering if anyone has any experience with it.

Thank you.
View Quote

I used Froglube exclusively back in end of 2012 to about 2014 and came across the same issue as you did. The firearm would be completely locked up after storage for a while. It didn't take long either before trying to do the action and I would have to mortar it. I emailed froglube company and they basically told me that I used it wrong and that I suck at cleaning firearms. I just threw it all in the garbage and moved on to something else for the last 8 years or so.

For years I've been using various other ones and found things like CLP and using grease like Cherrybalmz, Slip EWG, or TW25b all worked really well. I would not tell someone to not use those products as they work very well. But I don't know I sort of missed brushing the firearm with Froglube and wiping it off and just feels fun doing that.

Recently I went back to froglube earlier this year. With the years on the market, it seems like Froglube opened up a little more on why the firearms were gumming (before they would just tell people they were doing it wrong and they suck). The reason why the firearm is gumming is because of carbon/petrol left on it. It doesn't take much and typically the place that seizes would be the place where the carbon or petrol would sit. With that said, if you use their solvent, it seems to work. I started using froglube again back in April this year, and was very hesitant about it. So much so that I did a test myself to see if mixing CLP and froglube would indeed create the gummy effect. I took Froglube and let it sit by itself, then I took froglube and mixed it with CLP and let it sit. After a week, the froglube itself was still slippier feeling whereas the CLP mixed one would feel gummy. So I started to believe it and after about 8 months of using it, none of my firearms seized. Matter of fact, I've been using Froglube like grease and just leaving some of it on the rails of whatever and it would stay wet and never gum up shut.

So I believe the primary issue with me was using their solvent. Now I use the solvent whenever I'm going to use the paste. I would spray it all over the firearm, wipe it, and making sure I get into those hard to reach spots like the extension using a polymer pick. I'm really enjoying the product and I understand not a lot of people would like it but I really like it and really wanted to buy into it back in 2014. As a matter of fact, I recently got another gallon bucket of Froglube and a gallon of their solvent. I'm using their product almost exclusive except for using a different bore cleaner and again I would make sure I spray it down with their solvent.

On an AR15 the places you want to focus on using the solve is right in the extension where the bolt would rotate and lock in. That is the place where it is going to gum up. The other place to focus is inside the bolt carrier near the place where the gas vents which again you want to make sure it's nearly free of carbon. For handguns, it's much easier to clean and I never had it gum up. I had a M1 Garand that would be completely frozen shut from it. For the m1, the place that seems to be locked up is within the cam recess area and where the bolt rotates to lock in. Really soaking that in solvent and it has been stored well past the point where I noticed it would gum up before.
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 3:28:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Most of my friends have tried many different lives over the years and most of them have settled on Weaponshield.   I don't know anyone who has started using Weaponshield and ever switched to anything else.
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 5:04:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I used Froglube exclusively back in end of 2012 to about 2014 and came across the same issue as you did. The firearm would be completely locked up after storage for a while. It didn't take long either before trying to do the action and I would have to mortar it. I emailed froglube company and they basically told me that I used it wrong and that I suck at cleaning firearms. I just threw it all in the garbage and moved on to something else for the last 8 years or so.

View Quote

Frog Lube sucks. When I complained to them that their product jamed up my gun really bad they essentially had the same response as your time.

At least one major firearms manufacturer armor told me they do not recommend FL or Seal1 for their guns.
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 1:57:21 AM EDT
[#20]
OP I dunno about FP10 but I will say this brother...................I used breakfree CLP since I cut my teeth on the M16 platform in 1996 in the USMC.  I have used about everything from Remoil to Froglubge and I always go back to breakfree clp because it works in the rain, cold, hot, abused, heat, high round count etc.  I do NOT benefit from any of this from breakfree etc but I will say that there are tons of CLP's out there and that YOU need to T&E each to see what works for you brother.  For me it will be breakfree CLP and breakfree LP unless the world produces something better but since my time I have seen nothing remotely close and doubt anything better will come into play anytime soon given the way of the world,
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 2:08:48 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
OP I dunno about FP10 but I will say this brother...................I used breakfree CLP since I cut my teeth on the M16 platform in 1996 in the USMC.  I have used about everything from Remoil to Froglubge and I always go back to breakfree clp because it works in the rain, cold, hot, abused, heat, high round count etc.  I do NOT benefit from any of this from breakfree etc but I will say that there are tons of CLP's out there and that YOU need to T&E each to see what works for you brother.  For me it will be breakfree CLP and breakfree LP unless the world produces something better but since my time I have seen nothing remotely close and doubt anything better will come into play anytime soon given the way of the world,
View Quote

This mirrors my experience almost exactly.
The mil does a lot of stuff wrong, but usually their PM tools and procedures are pretty solid and well researched.
And plant based lubes aren’t part of that.
BF CLP has just always worked for me.
Link Posted: 12/3/2022 12:18:49 AM EDT
[#22]
FP10 and Weaponshield have both been great for me, have used both for years.

I have used Breakfree since the early 80's when Uncle Sugar turned me on to it.  It works well and is a superior rust preventative - and my experience was sleeping out in the woods with my A1 for weeks in the rain and Breakfree did the job and kept it from being a rust bucket.  Not sure how any CLP could have done a better job than Breakfree.

There are a lot of good choices out there nowdays, Breakfree, FP10 and Weaponshield are so close in performance that I consider them interchangeable.  You can't go wrong with either.
Link Posted: 12/3/2022 12:45:08 AM EDT
[#23]
Good choices there. Those are my 3 that I use mostly.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top