Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/20/2020 3:08:21 PM EDT
Hello,

Due to some stupidity on my part, I need to drill a standard A2 gas block for larger pints. I beat the taper pins out the wrong way, and now they don't fit properly. I intend to replace with straight pins of the next larger size. What size pins should I go with, and where does one acquire them?

Thanks!

Link Posted: 5/20/2020 3:51:12 PM EDT
[#1]
You actually got them out in reverse? DAMN!

Pins should be 2/0 size tapered.

MCMASTER TAPER PINS

MCMASTER DOWEL PINS

I would look for hardened.

Eta: 2/0 taper pin head should measure 0.141".
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 3:55:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Usually we hear someone complaining that their pins won't come out. You Sir are the opposite. Although you knocked them out the wrong way, I congratulate you on your no holds barred approach. Not only did you 'not put up with the stuck pins', you pounded the suckers out backwards just to show them who's boss!
I'm not sure where to get pins online? The last time I changed a FSB and needed bigger pins, I got pins from Fastenal.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 5:05:20 PM EDT
[#3]
I should note that based on the fact the gas block is now loose, I am assuming they were tapered. I had to remove the gas block a few times, and assume I beat them back in backwards.  I honestly thought they would be straight pins since this is a "second tier" barrel. I do have some colt taper pins somewhere I could try and beat in, that didn't occur to me until now...
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 6:52:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Showed that MFer who's boss, huh?
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 7:13:25 PM EDT
[#5]
I highly doubt that you beat them out backwards....
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 7:32:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By uniquesnd:
I highly doubt that you beat them out backwards....
View Quote

I've seen stranger shit....
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 7:38:47 AM EDT
[#7]
I would look into finding some over-sized taper pins first to see if they would work first prior to taking a drill to it.  What most thought couldn't be done was done in reverse, must have beat that bitch into submission.
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 2:03:20 PM EDT
[#8]
If you're only going off the fact that it is now loose, I'd be surprised if you tapped the pins out through the taper. That's unlikely. What is likely is that you beat the pins out and they are now deformed and fit loosely.

Drilling out the FSB and barrel for larger pins is not something you should try to tackle on your own.
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 8:23:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Well, I've got my AK rigged up in the drill press to get drilled for pins. If that goes well, I dont see why I can't rig something up for an AR15.
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 8:47:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I highly doubt that you beat them out backwards....
View Quote

This^^^^^
If you actually did beat them out backwards you possibly ruined the barrel and maybe the FSB.
We need pics.
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 8:51:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
If you're only going off the fact that it is now loose, I'd be surprised if you tapped the pins out through the taper. That's unlikely. What is likely is that you beat the pins out and they are now deformed and fit loosely.

Drilling out the FSB and barrel for larger pins is not something you should try to tackle on your own.
View Quote

This^^^
Get some new taper pins at the hardware store and use them if you screwed your pins up.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top