Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/25/2021 8:13:49 PM EDT
Need a little help here.  I just removed my FH.  I want to install a new Taper Mount muzzle device for a suppressor.  After removal, I noticed these deposits.
Is it necessary to clean this off?  If it is, what is the best method?  I tried using some brake cleaner while I was degreasing the threads, and it didn't seem to have much affect.  Any suggestions?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 9:19:50 PM EDT
[#1]
you can just lightly scrape them off - do it all the time.  Just take your time and be careful not to damage the crown.  Oncthe chunks are removed a light wipe with some 0000 steel wool will remove the rest and leave the muzzle undamaged.

Pretty normal
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 9:29:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Flattened out brass case mouth works good.

Common happening.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 10:04:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Green pad, squirt some clp.  Damn the army.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 11:48:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the advice.  I tried hoppes #9, Brake Cleaner, and some MPRO7 gun cleaner lightly scrubbing with a brass bristle brush.  Nothing would remove it.  I'll try lightly scraping with some steel wool.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 11:49:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Flattened out brass case mouth works good.

Common happening.
View Quote

That's a great idea.  Didn't think of that.  I'll try it.  Thanks, Tig!
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 2:37:05 PM EDT
[#6]
An old copper penny and some oil would work as well, pre 1981, works well for light rust as well.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 3:05:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
An old copper penny and some oil would work as well, pre 1981, works well for light rust as well.
View Quote

I did not know this.  I'll have to dig out my old penny collection.
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 5:58:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Leave it. Doesn’t hurt nothing, but scrapping away could.
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 6:29:01 PM EDT
[#9]
I could have just left it, but I kind of wanted it cleaned up for a semi-permanent suppressor mount with Rocksett.  

Cleaned up real nice and easy using Tig's suggestion.  I was careful, and it came right off.
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 7:38:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I could have just left it, but I kind of wanted it cleaned up for a semi-permanent suppressor mount with Rocksett.  

Cleaned up real nice and easy using Tig's suggestion.  I was careful, and it came right off.
View Quote

Good deal.

No reason to leave it when 10 mins worth of elbow grease will remove it.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top