Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/8/2018 1:37:38 PM EDT
I have been using Hoppes regular cleaning patches for years and years and years.  Yesterday I bought a bag of Hoppe's cotton cleaning patches and now a have a concern.  I've always been very careful not to have any obstructions in my barrel when discharging a firearm.  The edges of the cotton patches seem like they could leave little threads behind in the barrel.  I know they are tiny - but I was taught to leave nothing - including excessive oil in the barrel.
What does the hive say ?
Link Posted: 6/8/2018 6:51:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Look down the barrel before shooting?
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 10:42:25 PM EDT
[#2]
A couple cotton threads is not going to be a problem, a whole patch might cause a problem. When you're done cleaning it you should be inspecting your barrel anyway so just look down and see thats its crap free.
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 6:19:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Its a none issue.  A lot more crap has gotten in my barrels on run and guns including mud and muddy water and Oklahoma red dirt/dust.

You should try the Otis cleaning patches!
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 6:20:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Look down the barrel before shooting?
View Quote
Worst idea of the day.
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 12:38:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Worst idea of the day.
View Quote
Depends on which direction you are looking.

You can look down the bore of an AR from breech-to-muzzle, you know.
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 4:02:59 PM EDT
[#6]
It’s a non issue
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 7:11:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks guys . . .  I've never used patches that appeared like they could leave threads behind like that. And I would rather be on the cautious side.  You guys made me feel better about it.  And yah, a quick down the barrel - from the breech end is always a good idea.
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 11:34:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Been using these for nigh on 30 years, never had a problem with them leaving lint or threads in the barrel.

USGI cotton flannel patches.
Link Posted: 7/22/2018 1:39:42 PM EDT
[#9]
+1 for the USGI patches.
Link Posted: 7/30/2018 1:01:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Butches twill patches are what i use.
Link Posted: 7/30/2018 8:46:26 PM EDT
[#11]
I use Outers synthetic. Work fine and have never seen "shedding". http://www.outers-guncare.com/products/guncare/cleaningpatches.aspx

Butches are arguably the best but I have 16,753,231 Outers I need to use up. Or something close to that.
Link Posted: 7/30/2018 9:02:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Been using these for nigh on 30 years, never had a problem with them leaving lint or threads in the barrel.

https://www.charleyssurplus.com/media/catalog/product/cache/2/image/e9c3970ab036de70892d86c6d221abfe/C/l/Cleaning_Patches_GI_.223_Cal.__New__copy.jpg
USGI cotton flannel patches.
View Quote
Are the Pro Shot flannel patches on Amazon equal to these? Where do you buy these from?
Link Posted: 7/31/2018 9:06:45 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Are the Pro Shot flannel patches on Amazon equal to these? Where do you buy these from?
View Quote
pro shot is better than usgi patches.
Link Posted: 7/31/2018 12:20:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Butches are arguably the best but I have 16,753,231 Outers I need to use up. Or something close to that.

Hi I'm joe and I'm a patchaholic.
Link Posted: 7/31/2018 1:19:19 PM EDT
[#15]
That’s where I’m at with USGI...most likely a lifetime supply.

May try the pro shot if I ever run low.  They seem prices well at 1000/patches.
Link Posted: 8/1/2018 4:59:30 PM EDT
[#16]
I have gone to Jo-Ann fabrics for some double nap white cotton flannel.

Purchase by the yard and cut to match.
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 11:51:31 AM EDT
[#17]
I quit using Hopes patches years ago. To me, they're almost like not fabric, some sort of synthetic material. I don't think they absorb as well either. I have better results with cotton or flannel. I use a brass jag with good results but the patches are caliber specific. Old thin t-shirts cut to size work well. I've purchased caliber specific patches from Midway.
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 1:20:55 PM EDT
[#18]
I have to agree the Hoppes patches seem to have brittle edges that leaves tiny stings/strands in the barrel. I have some and yes, the edges seem brittle and easily come apart compared to other brands. The rest of the patch seems fine.

I like the german style of cleaning the barrel. I use the german bore wicks and it leaves a good amount of lint in the barrel. I bought 10 cases of 1000 wicks so that leaves 10,000 individual wick strand that further divides into tiny strings you can pull through the barrel. I never had so clean of a bore before. After the first round, it appears to burn it all up.

I usually carry a boresnake to the range and pass it through randomly during shooting. I don't see why you couldn't just run a bore snake in before shooting to get rid of any lint/strands if you feel concerned about it.
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 3:30:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I have to agree the Hoppes patches seem to have brittle edges that leaves tiny stings/strands in the barrel. I have some and yes, the edges seem brittle and easily come apart compared to other brands. The rest of the patch seems fine.

I like the german style of cleaning the barrel. I use the german bore wicks and it leaves a good amount of lint in the barrel. I bought 10 cases of 1000 wicks so that leaves 10,000 individual wick strand that further divides into tiny strings you can pull through the barrel. I never had so clean of a bore before. After the first round, it appears to burn it all up.

I usually carry a boresnake to the range and pass it through randomly during shooting. I don't see why you couldn't just run a bore snake in before shooting to get rid of any lint/strands if you feel concerned about it.
View Quote
Stupid question but can you kindly show me how exactly those Wix are supposed to be threaded on to the German Surplus pull throughs?
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 8:32:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Yeah I bought them off Midwayusa. I don't think they sell them any more. Really 1 box is enough to last a life time I think.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1016890126/military-surplus-german-bore-cleaning-wick-case-of-1000

You simply put them on the patch holder and pull through. You can use a line or rod, doesn't matter. Though with a rod, I find it easy to twirl around to clean everything on the way down.

Best imagine I can find is this one: https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/german-military-surplus-gun-cleaning-wicks-1000-wicks-new?a=1909548 You see how he puts it on the patch holder? That's what I do.

If you want to use the german chain links, this video is the best I can find. I have the tabacco can but I don't use it. You're supposed to use the entire wick on it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tb1_jSxupTU

Best stuff I ever used.
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 9:26:34 PM EDT
[#21]
My word!!!    I’ve raised six kids..... I’ve used a cotton baby diaper ... Winnie The Poo I believe to clean literally 12 diff cals over Many years.  It’s Not that complicated.  I cut patches with pinking shears to mitigate stringers.  Inspect the bore......Rack it!

H
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top